I need help, Redhawk.45colt vs. S&W 29 .44mag ?

oldcars

I am looking for a big bore double action to pack in the woods and target shoot with, I want a barrel between 4"-6" and a good strong reliable gun. I think I have narrowed it down to two local choices:

New stainless Redhawk in 45colt with a 4" Barrel for $599

Used S&W m29-3 44mag with a 6" barrel in good shape for $475

I own a 45colt Vaquero(original style) and I have owned a 44mag vaquero in the past, and I liked the 45colt better in the single action, but I have never shot one in double action. I do reload, and I already have dies for both, but no brass or bullets for 44mag and 600-700 rounds of 45colt brass, and about 13,000 45. bullets. so thats a plus. The other consideration is when I actually fire this gun besides at a range I will most likely not have ear protection in because critters don't wait, so noise & blast is a factor.

azredhawk44

Caliber is a wash... 45colt and 44mag have pretty much the same potential. 44mag has a bit of an edge in reliability on extraction since the 45colt has a smaller rim, but negligable. You're not reloading to shoot toothy stuff.... you reload to shoot 2-legged stuff.

29-3? That's a pre-lock and actually makes it eligible for purchase. :p I'm pretty loyal to ruger, but I'd give the 29-3 the nod here.

ME109

Get the Smith, the Ruger could be a crapshoot. Possible problems include constricted barrel at receiver (easy fix) and restricted chambers (accuracy problems). Both are common problems with Redhawks in .45LC.

Bob C

I prefer the 4" barrel and stainless for your stated purpose, so I would go with the Redhawk.

On the other hand, if the 29-3 is in good condition keep in mind they won't be making any more of those.

Mr.RevolverGuy

ME109

The new version 4 inch ruger has those problems? I have the 4 inch 44 and love it and was contemplating the 45LC to go with it. This is the first I have heard of this.

MADISON

Redhawk v S&W 29

I can't speak for the 45-LC but, I can tell you about my 629 an Redhawk experience.
I loaded up 2,000, what ended up being "Ruger loads" to shoot in my 629. They were too hot for the S&W. I sold my 629 and got a 5 1/2 inch Redhawk. The Redhawk loved the 2,000 hot rounds!

imdarren

Are you going to reload hot loads for it?
If you want the toughest gun that can eat the most powerful hand loads go with the Ruger. Then if your concerned about the quality of the timing / lockup / chamber bore dia, call Bowen and ask him if you should buy the Ruger 44mag, and send it to Bowen, and have him chamber it in 45LC. Then he could tune the action like butter at the same time.
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/

If you have a tighter budget, go with the smith. It will be collectible (although so would a Bowen Gun) And Smith's are always sexier / purtier from the factory. Although Bowen can take off all the markings off your Ruger, and spiff it up to look as good or better than the Smith.

Sorry to muddy the water so much for ya. Just some thoughts. You should at least look at Bowen's gallery on his web site above however.

Buzzcook

I prefer the .45 to the .44. I also prefer the S&W to the Ruger.

Reloading makes it a tougher choice because with the Ruger you can get away with pretty hot loads that pretty much cuts back on the .44 mag power advantages.
Reloading also means that you can light load the .44mag so it's not quites as bad on the ears and will still take medium game.

BTW there is no reason not to wear some kind of ear protection while hunting imo.

I think the Smith is a better choice in your case.

shepherddogs

I like both but the S&W is a more refined weapon out of the box. The trigger and action are superior to the Ruger. The Ruger is a little stronger though.

oldcars

Well, Thanks for all the advise. I bought a gun today,and not one of the two I was looking at! I ended up buying a "trail boss" S&W 629 with a 4" Barrel from a private party for $400. I figured it was a good enough deal to give it a try, and if I don't like it, I can always sell it & buy one of the others. all thats left now is to find an old beat up set of wood grips for a round butt n frame that I can modify & make my own.anyone have any beaters for sale?

Sarge

I have had both, run them hard with 300+ grain bullets, and taken game with both. I'll take the 4" Redhawk in .45 Colt.

madcratebuilder

I have both, the Smith has better fit and finish and has a much better DA/SA trigger. The Ruger is much more robust and the DA/SA trigger can be improved with a spring kit. The Smith well increase in value, not sure about the Ruger. I would get the Smith....then a Ruger.