I need help on reloading?

hunter33

What do i need to start reloading i would like to start reloading for my rifles.Is it hard is a worth it tell me some good things about it and bad.do i need different equipment for different bullet sizes. Just try to tell me everything i would need to know to reload.Thanks-Jett

Wild Bill Bucks

They won't allow me to put all the information you need on the forum, as there is simply a never ending amount of knowledge that can be obtained. I suggest you buy a RCBS Kit, and read all you can find on the subject. Nothing hard about it, but it does require that you read and learn all you can. The RCBS kit will come with everything you need to get started, and the rest will be up to you.

mrawesome22

Based on your grammar skills, reloading might not be for you.:confused:

TIP: Download and install the latest version of Firefox. It has a built in spell check.

hunter33

wow mrawesome22 you dont have to call me out just cause i cant spell and have grammar problems.Dont worry about me and worry about yourself.

mrawesome22

I am worried about your safety hunter33. I mean no offense by it. I stand by my statement. I would steer you clear of reloading if I had my way.

hunter33

ok heres my short story,im 15 my dads 47 we both love hunting and shooting.we both dont no alot about hunting and shooting i come on here to get advice or help for hunting and shooting im not going to be doing these things by myself all i ask is for you to help me.isnt that whats the firing line is for?

John D

In my opinion, the best way to start reloading is to find someone you respect who is a reloader. Have them show you how to set up your press, what equipment you'll need and -- MOST IMPORTANTLY -- how to do this safely. Reloading is something that requires your undivided attention and is unforgiving of mistakes. Take your time, follow the manuals, and do it right! The results will be very satisfying...

htshot

If you are not wanting to spend to much ,start with the Lee aniversary reloading kit. This has all the equipment you need except brass, powder,primers , dies and bullets. I started with this kit and it works fine. The RCBS kit has a much better press but will cost more. Follow the instructions to the letter,it is a fun hobby but can be very dangerous if not done right. You can blow up a gun and yourself quite easily.

bigbird34

15 years old ,I remember !

I remember being fifteen years old ....gun powder,my friends,and some mischeif ,....my cousin built a black powder muzzle loader (long befor they were popular ) when fired, it coverd his face in spent black powder,he had black heads for weeks .....needless to say,he didn't build anymore guns from scratch .....one of my Older friends ,blew up the town mailbox.....he got a switch in the wood shed from his father,now a days you'd go to jail ! For both,the spanking and the destruction of Gov. property .....:D

There was a time when you could bring your gun to school and go rabbit hunting ,or bird hunting after school,(those days are gone. BTW) now guns are not permitted within so many feet of school grounds ....

So the long story short ,is adult supervision is needed in any relaoding operation ,the web is an easy place to find things to build that you shouldn't ...

But if your father decides to get into reloading ,shooting is less expensive,accuracy is generally improved,and the relationship between father and son grow tighter ....

My 2 cents ,Bigbird34

Zeek5793

Do I Remember 15

Good post bigbird34 ?? did you live in my neighberhood,??? Idaho?? as for
Grammer skills, BFD, But mranesone22, has something there, Make sure that you read all you can on Reloading, ALWAYS, start low and work your way up to what is still safe, But I'm new at this and still learning,, I started Reloading in March of 1966, so never think you know it all , But Idaho Is not that far from orgen, so keep posting if you need help, all here are good people.. {I THINK} Zeek

Leeman

Perfect tool for the beginner.

Get a Lee Loader. I started with one 40 or 50 years ago. Cost $9.98 back then. Simple, easy to use, and you use the safest powder measuring device ever invented, a powder dipper. Be sure to match the powder type with the bullet weight and you will have no proplems.

Check the company on line. www.leeprecision.com for more info.

Buy from anyone else for the best price.

chris112

Also started with a Lee Loader. Cost to start, less than $20.00 which included components for 100 rounds. It is still a good way to start. The only change I would recommend is to get their Auto Prime tool (the method of priming with a Lee Loader leaves a lot to be desired).

Ozzieman

hunter33 dont worry

Some people (most) are more interested in helping young members with questions than worrying about their spelling.
The two best ways of learning, have already been mentioned here.
1 Find some one with experience to learn from (that’s what I did)
2 The simple Lee loader. It’s not great for large quantity, but its cheep, works well and you can learn quickly.
The most important thing, come back and ask questions (even if you don’t ace your spelling) and have fun. Were here to help which is why most of us are here every night, not to criticize.

Good: Its fun and your building something with your hands. I used to build model airplanes, this has taken over. I have been reloading for over 25 years and enjoy it.
The other thing, is setting on a bench and punching hole after hole with less than 2 inches separation at 300 yards, and know that “I” did it. For me that’s enough.
Bad: It can get a little monotonous setting down for hours doing the same thing over and over and over and over.

Wild Bill Bucks said it best “as there is simply a never ending amount of knowledge that can be obtained” if any thing was wrong with that statement, it’s that it’s an understatement.

I would suggest a good reloading manual like RCBS’s. Read it from cover to cover.
To see the kind of equipment that’s available out there go to Sinclair International’s web site. This will give you an idea of what very high end equipment is like. BUT you don’t need to spend any where near that much to get started with good stuff.

If you want to start out with good equipment get an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press and get a RCBS starter kit.
One important thing. If you’re going to load handgun ammo, spend the extra cash and get carbide dies. If you don’t, then every time you size a case you have to oil it first and it’s a mess. With Carbide dies it’s not necessary.
The sad thing is that they don’t make Carbide for rifle cases.
You don’t need different dies for different bullets, but you do for different cases.
And Jett,,,, Welcome, and have fun!
"churs112: Get their Auto Prime tool"+ Yes yes yes, great priming tool