I need a Sig!

jumpcut

I am in the market for a Sig 9mm. This is what I have come across:
a 226 for $691
a 228 for $542

I like the both, but the 228 is more in my budget, although I could dig deep and get the 226.

so here are my questions.

1. Since the 228 is out of production (so I hear) will parts be easily avaliable?
2. Is the quality of the 228 par with the 226, if not what is the problem?
3. I have heard that the frame for the 228 is aluminum, not steel, is this true.
4. Does any know of any problems with the 228?
5. I can't seem to find sight replacements for the 228, does anyone know of anyone who makes a 3 dot sight for the 228?
6. If it were up to you which would you buy?

I know this is a lot, any info would help!!

RT13

The P228 is one sweet gun and am hoping to get one soon. I like the feel and balance of it over the P226. The P228 is not out of production or discontinued. It is no longer made for civilians, but still available for law enforcements. Don't worry about tthe parts, cause even though they are not produced for civilians anymore, parts will still be made by Sig. That price for the P228 is a good price! How used is it? I saw one at my gun store for $689 NIB. I only wish that it was nitron, K-kote or two tone. The one they have is a blued one. I also wish they made the slide available in stainless. But I still wnat one.:p

mrat

RT13,
The 228 is not a LEO only gun. The 228 is a very popular LEO gun and our military uses the 228 (it is called the M11 by the US military). Sig has been filling law enforcement and military contracts for 228s, therefore not many make it to the civilian market. Some do make it though, I just bought a NIB 228. If you want a 228 with a stainless slide get the 229 in 9mm. Same dimensions as the 228 except the slide is stainless.

Jumpcut,
The 228 is still in production and it is an excellent gun. Yes, the frame is aluminum. Any of the leading manufactures of sights make three dot, Sig themselves have three dot sights for their guns. I solved the problem of which to get by getting both. If I was forced to chose I would get the 228. To me it is better balanced and fits my hand better.

Is $542 for the 228 NIB? I just paid $550 plus tax and reg fee for my NIB 228.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All,

Take this to the bank, the Sig P228 is still in production; although
somewhat hard to find due to ever increasing demand from the
military and police department's throughout the country. Part's
therefore are readily available, in case they are needed.

Now, to the second part of your question. The P228 as well as the P226 ride on an aluminum frame; this account's for both
firearms lightweight. The P228, just like the P226 is utterly
reliable, just as accurate, and offer's better balance for most
shooter's.

Sight replacement's are available; but replacing the sight's
on a Sig isn't recommended, as using a sight pusher can
certainly be a "bitch". I would strongly suggest if you wish
to change the sight's; have a professional gunsmith to accomplish
this feat, to avoid possible damage to your firearm. I know of an
incident whereas a gentleman actually bent a sight pusher
trying to adjust the front sight on a Sig P220!!!

Finally, as far as choosing between the P226 or the P228; it
really depends on the task at hand. For uniformed personnel,
probably the P226 would be the better option; and likewise
for plainclothes personnel or CCW, the P228 would rank very
high on their list. I've owned both, and ended up selling the P226
cause I didn't care for the "European Grip" angle. Both are
well made, excellent firearms; and looks like you got a fair market
price on the P228. Here in Bombingham, AL a LNIB P228 with 2
high capacity magazines just sold for $650.00. I gave $550.00
for the same set-up in Oct of 1998. Currently, I own two of
the finest Sig's to ever come from West Germany; the P220A in
.45ACP, and the P228 9m/m. Neither one has ever burped on
me during a firing cycle; as I said, they are stone cold reliable
even in sub-zero weather conditions. Hope this helps some.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

.357SIG

I know first hand about the sights on a SIG. I tried to drift my sights with a brass punch and a hammer, but could not move them the slightest bit! I tried increasing the power of my hits with the hammer, but I stopped when I thought it was too hard and they still weren't moving. I don't know how in the hell these things can be removed, but I suggest seeing a gunsmith.

sigmund

The P228 is not out of production and is not unavailable for civilians. However, SIG Arms, the US distributor, no longer imports the P228 for the civilian market. It still imports the P228 for LEO and military use (the P228 is the M11, military issue for concealed carry, smaller hands, etc.).

SIG Arms dropped the P228 for general importation because it distributes the P229 in 9mm. The frames of the P228 and the P229 are identical, and are both made in Germany. The slide for the P229 is made in the US, and the final assembly is American. Can't imagine that parts for the P228 will ever be a problem.

I have a P226 and a P228. Love them both. I would give a nod to the P226 for personal preference. But given a good price on a P228, I'd grab that first, because you can always get a P226 later. And then a P229. And a P220. And.......

M1911

.357SIG:

A while back, one of the local gun stores had a Sig sale and Sig sent down a gunsmith to install nightsights on the spot. He had this cobbled together rig that he did it with. There was a pylon thingy that he put the slide onto. Then he had a hydraulic ram that he used to push the sights off of or onto the slide. Definitely not something for a punch and hammer.

M1911

slickpuppy

With a good sight vise anything is possible...even a sig.

CDNN was blowing out demo guns for the 228 series recently in their catalog:
Tutone:$479.99
Blue: $449.99

Those included 1 10 round mag and 2 13 round factory mags.

As for the quality...ask the Wild Romanian. I am sure he would say they are cheap sheet metal junk.

There is really no difference with respect to quality when comparing the 226 to the 228. The only difference is overall size and mag capacity.

Go with either one. They are both good guns when in good hands.

hlpsr

I have a 226 in 9mm that's really a nice pistol but shot low for the first 200 rds. but is getting better, er... I should say I shot low for the first 200 rds. The DA is a reach for me. I own a Glock 19, Beretta 92FS, BHP, CZ 75B, all in 9mm and a Kimber Classic Royal 45 ACP. I at this point in time I think the Sig is near the top.

blades67

I have both. I like my P226 better than my P228 because the P226 trigger is better. (That may be because of the large amount of ammo that I have put through the P226) For the money I'd get the P228 first.

OTISZ

I just purchased a P228 about 2 months ago. It is the only 9mm you will ever need. There is a reason why so many LEO and military want this weapon. :cool:;)

sandster

Hey Jumpcut,
I noticed your thread tonight, I have a 226 9mm, K-Kote, 98% condition, comes w/ 2 factory 15 rd pre ban mags, looking to sell for $600. (that's just under Blue Book Value). I can send you some pics if you'd like.
Sandster