I need a ruger #1

mdd

Well, to be honest I don't need one. But as time goes by I sure am drawn to their simple elegance in both function and form. I have been looking at the heavy barrel 22-250 and it just seems like the kind of rifle a man should be proud to own.
It'll have to be blued/wood though. For as much as I appreciate the durability of stainless & synthetics or laminates, a #1 just doesn't look right in that configuration to me. Too bad it'll have to wait till the gun fund is replenished. Bought a few rifles in 2011 so the #1 will have to wait I guess.
My question is about mounting a scope and getting proper eye relief. I see some equipped with standard rings and some with an offset biased towards the shooter. Is this just personal preference combined with the differences in relief from one scope to the next? I assume so but wasn't sure why some were different than others.

kraigwy

A few years ago, (about the time the 204 first came out) I had bought tickets for a Ruger #1 in 220 Swift after reading an article in the American Rifleman on the Ruger #1 in 204.

Like all other raffles I didn't win so wife goes out to buy me one. She couldn't find the swift but did find it in 204. I was in heaven.

About the finest shooter I have. Accurate and I'm really impressed with the 204.

There is no law that says "NEED" has to be a reason for buying a new rifle.

Saltydog235

I have always loved the look and lines of the No.1. For years I had told my dad that I wanted one in 7mmMag. I got the call one day about 2.5 years ago that he had been taken to the Emergency Room and was in a coma from some health issues that he had. The wife and I went up, but I couldn't bear to see him in that condition in the Hospital so I went to his house. I opened up the vault and standing front and center of the collection was a Ruger No.1 in 7mmMag. I can honestly say that I will never ever sell that gun. I've taken a deer with it and plan on hunting it some more but of everything that I have, that one is treated with kid gloves.

I have many rifles that will outshoot it as the best grouping that I have is about 1" but only one or two others have that sentimental value as heirlooms that will be passed to my boys one day.

I pulled it out the other night and the 8 month old boy's eyes were riveted to it. He's just learned to crawl and made a B-line to me and the gun.

dgludwig

Of the many rifles that I own (and have owned :(), my Ruger No.1 Varmint model, chambered in .220 Swift, purchased new in 1995, has been the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. It's even plenty accurate (1" MOA, 3 shot groups) with Hornady factory ammunition.

Rampant_Colt

What a fine all-around rifle. I want(need) one because i learned how to shoot rifles as a kid with a .22 Hornet Ruger #1 and a 10/22.

I'd like to have a #1 chambered for .22 Hornet and one in .45/70 because they're both kinda retro. The wood Ruger uses is usually pretty fancy, and i like the Schnabel foreend as well

radom

The No1 V guns do tend to come with weird scope blocks on them for spacing. They are too close together but with the short action thy probably have to do this so the scope can sit as far back as it needs to be. Some scopes I can see needing a set of rings that offsets the back ring further back.

Howard31

Ruger # 1 V

The Ruger Varmint Model has 3 set of mounting holes. I believe they originally came with the Unertl BV 20 scope. I sold the Unertl because I really had trouble focusing it. Because of the brl taper it hard to find mounts for the gun. I did find a pair from Brownells. They do allow a lot of adjusting length for obtaining good eye relief.IMG_4074.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

jrhilde

The new #1's come with a set of rings, the varmint version has scope blocks--the rings are very well made and sturdy, but place the scope a little too far forward for proper eye relief--after you get the gun, check to see what number is stamped on the scope rings and then order the same number offset rear ring from Ruger--with the rear offset installed, you will be able to move the scope to the rear another half inch or more---it will eliminate having to "crawl" up the stock to get the full scope picture---thirty something bucks for the offset, if I remember right, and Ruger seems to get them to you pretty quickly-------

dmazur

I have two No. 1's (well my wife claims the .243 is hers...) and I put scopes on them with 4" of eye relief and didn't have to use offset rings.

Scopes with 3.5" of eye relief weren't as comfortable to shoot.

I've seen custom scope mounts that extended slightly over the action, and these permited use of standard Weaver rings. They were not as traditional looking as the Ruger quarter ribs, but they looked like they would be functional.

When I priced custom mounts, I decided I could get a scope with longer eye relief to solve the problem. Besides, it was an excuse to buy Zeiss scopes. :)

fatwhiteboy

My friend has a #1 in .22-250 that is deadly. I was looking at buying one then I found a Browning 1885 Highwall in .22-250. The #1 is still beautiful....

GaryGGR

I Have very early Ruger #1 in 22/250 with a bull barrel. The only scopes that can be mounted on it are Unertl and some older Weaver target scopes, because the distance between the two blocks is so great.

cookhj

there was a guy recently on snipershide that had a no1 in 22-250 for sale. if you go over and check it out it might still be for sale.

Peter M. Eick

I bought a 25/06 # 1 varmint and put a VX3 scope on it with non-offset mounts.

It works but I have to crawl the stock to get a good view of the scope. I will get offset mounts "some day".

It is a great gun. Fun to shoot but I find the 24" barrel seems quite short in a number 1. I will definitely replace the barrel with a 26" or even a 28" barrel when I have to replace it.

I like shooting the gun. It goes slow but is fun. I have not really sorted the accuracy. So far it is "ok" but I see there is an upside with continued development and testing.

Like you I wanted the look and I am very pleased with it. Thinking about it, I should go shooting it this weekend.

Singlesix1954

I have a #1-A in 22 Hornet, and I love it. Off the bench with a pet load it will shoot a single raged hole with 3 shots @ 100 yds. I do understand what you mean about waiting to buy something else in 2011. I'v bought 2 rifles, a PMR-30, and orderd the new Ruger SR1911 so I think I'm done for this year.

Rifletom

Yep, I do enjoy my No.1B in 30-06. Its the nicest looking rifle in my safe, and one of the most accurate. Either it goes in the field, or I grab my Sako Finnbear
.270 Win. But I suuure like that No.1B! You should buy it. NOW!:D

Rifletom

off-set rings

Peter M. Eick: Call Ruger's CS. You send your standard rings to them, they'll you off-set rings back to you pronto. No charge.

mdd

Sorry I've been absent on my own thread.
Kraig, there is no law that says I have to "need" another gun but there are multiple laws that do say I have to pay for it. Unless of course someone wants to give me theirs. Doubt that will happen as I've given as gifts a lot more guns than I've received in the same fashion.
Because of this thread, however, a gentleman contacted me and offered to sell me his pristine #1v 22-250. It is a late 79 or early 80 production with beautiful wood. That's what I had in mind and honestly plan to display it on my living room wall because it will definitely be the most aesthetically pleasing firearm I own.