I need a new fowling piece

zzbruno

Specifically, a quail gun. I'm back into hunting quail after a 25-year break and would like to treat myself to a nice, quality bird gun.
Hunting mostly Mearns, Scaled and Gambel Quail in southern Arizona. I'm thinking 16-20 gauge and rugged. thoughts?

budget?? Preference for shotgun type?? Over/Under, Side by Side, Pump etc??? My favorite gun for that type of hunting is my lightweight 870 wingmaster...

roy reali

re:zzbruno

Quail? You need a good 10 gauge, after all, pellets out of smaller shotguns will just bounce off of them. In the years since you have hunted, game has become tougher. What used to kill animals doesn't work anymore. Good luck with your choice!;)

dalecooper51

Unless you reload for the 16 ga, I would choose the 20 ga. 20 ga has a greater variety of shells at a much more reasonable price than the 16.

zzbruno

Budget: $750-1000

Not going to get more than two shots off on these crafty buggers--they fly low and short, so no need for a pump. I prefer O/U to SxS, but would consider both.

I know what you mean about them getting tougher. I will need a gun that can double as a club in case the shot just stuns them and I have to beat them to death.

But I likes me some pan fried quail with quail gravy over biscuits.:)

Waterengineer

You state no preferred action so I'd start here:

1. Used Remington 1100 (auto)
2. Used Franchi Destino (sxs)
3. Used Beretta White Onyx (o/u)
4. Used Browning Cynergy Field (o/u)
5. Ruger Red (o/u)
6. Ithica 600 (o/u) (actually an SKB) but this will be hard to find in sub-gauges
7. Franchi AL-48 (auto)

Your budget is pretty lean and you will definitely be be pushing the upper limit with 2 thru 4.

If you can seriously increase the budget then (used of course):

1. Browning Citori (o/u)
2. Beretta 686 (o/u)
3. lower end Merkel (sxs)
4. L.C. Smith (a real one) (sxs)
5. Le Fever (sxs)
6. Field-grade Parker (sxs)

Good luck and tell us what you get.

6x6pinz

I really like my O/U's from Spartan/Remington. The SPR310 are great field guns. I was able to pick up my 410 and 12ga at Walmart where the prices were as cheap as I could find. They can bring them in if they don't have them in stock. The SPR310's are available in all common US gauges. Not the fanciest finishes but work very well.

BarkeyVA

My favorite quail gun is a Marlin Model 90, double trigger, choked IC/Mod. in 16 or 20 ga. (Check out Gunbroker, Guns America and other web sites for the Model 90 that was last sold in the early '60's.) 16 ga. 1 oz. #7-1/2 or #8's are readily available but cost a dollar or so more per box. I also recommend the Ithaca Model 37 pump in 16 or 20 ga. or SKB 100 SxS in 20 ga. All three guns are weigh 6.25 lbs or less and are easy to carry all day in the field.

BigJimP

My personal favorite for Quail is a Browning O/U with 30" barrels ( in a 20 or 28ga ) - the XS Skeet model ( but new they're about $3,000 ).

I do see a few used ones around - but $ 2,000 plus...

A good use Browning Citori Lightning might be available for around $ 1,000.

The prices are up on the better O/U's since you shopped last ....

You might consider a used semi-auto like a Remington 1100 or a Beretta 390 ( the newer ones are the 391 model ) and I'm seeing a few of the 390's around. Benelli makes a nice semi-auto / shoots a lot cleaner than any of the gas operated guns - but it's $1,250 plus depending on the model you like. Benelli Super Sport is a nice gun ( 12 or 20ga ) but new about $ 1,875 and I'm not seeing hardly anything used around in the Super Sport - but its a nice lively gun.

zzbruno

Prices are definitely up...

I've adjusted my budget up to accommodate my tastes. I went to a dealer after work today who had two beautiful guns; a Browning Citori 525 Sporting O/U with a 30" barrel, slightly used (allegedly only a half dozen shells through it) with a small scratch on the receiver. $1895 firm.

The other was a Weatherby ATHENA D'ITALIA III O/U with a 28" barrel. What a gorgeous piece of craftsmanship that is. NIB for $1995.

Quite frankly, they look too nice to take in the field, but I'd be willing to take my chances. The Weatherby had nicer lumber (by a lot), and both were easy to shoulder.

I might be leaning a little towards the Browning, though.

zippy13

While 28-ga O/Us are becoming popular along the boarder for dove and quail, just to be different, have you considered something old school? A nice used Winchester Model-12 is within your budget, and it's not just another Wingmaster. Dalecooper51 is correct in his evaluation of 20 and 16-ga ammo; but, standard dove and quail loads are not exotic and are generally available in 20 and 16-ga. You may find a fantastic deal on 16-ga M-12.

zzbruno

forthcoming.
I'll take possesion sometime around the end of this month. (layaway kinda thing).
Once I get it in my hot little hands, I'll provide photos.