I need a "fun" gun

SavageMOA

I have an itch for a new gun since I'll be getting my tax return soon.

-I'm thinking maybe a lever action in .357 since I already have a GP100 (thinking about .22 but that'll make 3 rifles in that caliber)

-I also think the Remington 7615 looks really cool.

My only criteria are that the gun cost <$500 and the ammo be relatively cheap since it'll be for mass amounts of plinking, and have a relatively high rate of fire (minimum is lever/pump action)

I feel weird having more than 2 guns in the same caliber. But if the .22 lever action is really THAT much fun, i'll consider it.

+1 internet points to the poster with the best suggestion.

Last edited:
I think that a .357 lever gun is a great idea, you already have another gun in the caliber so thats always nice. Makes a great defence rifle if need be. You can hunt with it, and it shoots two types of ammo so you can mix it up a little.

I say go for it. I plan too when the financials come around.

T

Webleymkv

A .357 Magnum lever-action has always seemed like a very handy and useful tool to me. It would be just fine for hunting up to and including deer-sized game (with the right loadings in a rifle, a .357 Magnum can top the energy of many 30-30 loadings) and would be a great home defense carbine. I believe it was Jeff Cooper who called a pistol caliber lever gun the "Long Island Assault Rifle."

Sam Harrison

Last time I checked, you could get an pretty good SKS of some type for under $500, although the prices seem to be... much higher than necessary as of late.
It's a semi-auto, 7.62x39 can be gotten for decent prices in bulk, lots of aftermarket stuff available, and the guns are pretty tough.

Me, I can't afford much ammo for anything (except target bullets for my favorite .22, I can't bring myself to shoot bulk ammo in it), so I use .22s for plinking.

Nylon 66 is a fun little gun you don't see too much, very light and durable. I just checked and it seems they've also gotten expensive since I got mine a long time ago. Can fire really, really fast too.

Remington 552 speedmaster is a nice .22 if you want to shoot shorts, longs, and long rifle bullets. My dad uses one as his main squirrel hunting gun. It's a pretty classy looking rifle, IMO.

SavageMOA

Well plain jane semi-auto .22's aren't really what I'm looking for. I've already got a Model 60 and a 10/22. I like the lever gun idea a lot, but I just wish I could shoot my .38 special wadcutters in it.

I don't know how I'd feel about having 3 .22 rifles though.

I just want a little variety.

Is it the hi-point that takes glock mags?

I found a Marlin .357 lever action NIB for $485. after all the fees it'd be around $550 OTD. Is this a good price?

Last edited:

millercreek

A lever action .357 would be very light, very handy, pretty cheap to shoot (especially if you shoot .38's) and DEADLY to 100-150 yds. I almost bought a .357 lever, but I got a 30-30 instead.

My Marlin 336W is my first lever gun, and it is quickly becoming a favorite. I could see myself having 3 or 4 lever guns in the future.

Delaware_Dan

I recomend a Saiga in 7.63x39. It is my "fun" gun. It has a detachable 10 round mag, and can later be converted to just about any AK variant out there.

beardenbc

My only criteria are that the gun cost <$500 and the ammo be relatively cheap since it'll be for mass amounts of plinking, and have a relatively high rate of fire (minimum is lever/pump action)

SKS, AK, or SU-16
Or if you're willing to go just a wee bit above that $500 line, a Ruger Mini.

kraigwy

cant beat one of those little Lever 38/357 jobs, I have a Marlin 1894 Cowboy.

If you cast bullets you can shoot 38s as cheap as 22s.

Having said that, one of the most fun guns I have is an Old Rem. pump gun in 25-20. That sucker is a kick in the butt to shoot.

Don't rule out cast bullets in any rifles, they make for some fun cheap shooting.

troy_mclure

lever guns are fun to shoot too.

and the hipoint carbine does take glock mags.

for a good guide on prices search the gun on gunbroker for the last 2-3 months.

Mike U.

lever guns are fun to shoot too.

and the hipoint carbine does take glock mags.

When did Hipoint carbines become Glock mag optional?:confused::confused:

Lever guns are fun to shoot. Obviously takes more work than a semi, but, it's a fun challenge to get fast and accurate with one.

Bigfatts

(thinking about .22 but that'll make 3 rifles in that caliber)

So? I have probly 10 or 12 .22 rifles... Nothing wrong with multiple guns in the same chambering.

Out of your mentioned considerations I'd go with the .357 lever. Or you could step it up and go for a .45 Colt lever, now that's a hoot.

jpwilly

To me, unless you have experianced it, shooting an M1 Garand or M1A is pure bliss. The SKS is a close second for me as I grew up with one and it was my only centerfire rifle from 15 to 21 (access to many other rifles but this one was mine).

Swampghost

I think that levers are a riot. It doesn't get much more fun than a slicked up Marlin 1894 or '94C. I have a couple of Winnie's but can't shoot them seriously anymore due to top ejection, bad eyes (need a scope) and I don't want to ruin the value by tapping them for a scout scope.

I picked up three last year from $175 (pawnshop) to $375 (gunshow) and a decent shotgun scope can be had for under $150.

I'm really trying to understand your phobia about having rifles of the same caliber. I'm always on the hunt for 'deals' and the best ones are usually in popular calibers. It doesn't bother me a bit that I have a dozen .22's, some .223's, .243's, 30-30's, 30-40's, 30-06's, .357's, .44's, 12 ga's as long as the price was right. The ones that I like to shoot stay and the others are traders.

Mike U.

If possible, maybe you can score a .357 lever gun and a .22 lever gun.
You know, with a lever .22 you have the option of shooting .22 Short, .22 Long and .22 Long Rifle. As others have pointed out, the .357 also chambers 38 Special. Too cool. :cool:
And, there is nothing wrong with having multiple guns in a single caliber. I have two M-44's, two 12 gauges, three .22 rifles and two .45's.
Not bragging, but as an example:
On the M-44's one is scoped, the other stock. With the 12 ga. one is pump, the other SxS. In the .22 dept. I have a lever, one model 60 and a Nylon 66. The .45s, one is a high cap. HK USP 45 the other is former .gov 1911A1 issue.
Not only do I have a spare in case one gun develops a problem, but, I have OPTIONS. In the world of firearms, having options is a very good thing. :)