I need a clip

cdoc42

Anyone have any idea where I can get a clip for a Remington Model 522 Viper .22 LR rifle? I came up empty on Midway, Cabela's, Weidener, Cheaper Than Dirt.

cdoc42

Thanks to all - but let me ask - what's the difference between a clip and a magazine? Ever since I was a kid we called a magazine a clip.

Doyle

A clip is a "temporary" bullet holder that is used with a weapon like a M1 Garrand. You fill the clip up with ammo and shove it down into the rifle to load it. A magazine is what actually holds the ammo you are shooting.

Don H

A visual aid to differentiation:

Magazines.jpg

Clips.jpg

Howard31

clips

I have 2 for 523 and 521.I don;t know if they are compatible with 522. Contact my email flemminghs@verizon.net

Clips,mags or gizmos we know what you mean. The 2 I have are for the 513 T and will also fit 521 . They are 10 rds and they are for sale

Last edited:

cdoc42

ROLMAO.......looks like my post WWII relatives didn't know the difference between a magazine and the clips they used in their rifles...so passed it down to me and I never bothered to question it. Thanks for the clarification. I don't feel too bad, though - I still run into shooters who call the cartridge a bullet and the bullet "the tip."

cdoc42

I just read an article in GUNS that was discussing the M-1 Garand and it showed a picture, and described the "clip" being inserted into the "magazine" of the rifle. Does that mean if a rifle has what has been described herein as a "magazine", the magazine fits into the magazine?

"A clip is a "temporary" bullet holder...."

Ya know, try to be a terminology pedant and get hoisted by your own petard... :p

A clip holds CARTRIDGES.

A bullet is but one component of a cartridge.

"Does that mean if a rifle has what has been described herein as a "magazine", the magazine fits into the magazine?"

No. In a rifle with a detachable magazine such as the Remington 522, the magazine fits into the magazine housing.

When you remove the magazine from the rifle, it no longer has a magazine.

A rifle like the Springfield 1903A3 or M1917 Enfield has an internal, non-detachable magazine, which can be loaded either with single rounds or by use of a stripper clip.

Jim Watson

"A clip is a "temporary" bullet holder...."

Ya know, try to be a terminology pedant and get hoisted by your own petard...

I love it!
There are worse things than an Internet Expert telling me that my war vetran ancestors were wrong when they loaded all their guns with "clips" whether M1 rifle or M1 carbine.

Like said I.E. loading his Ammunition Feeding Device with "bullets."
Or "boolits" when he does not cast projectiles over a campfire.
Or finding a .30 caliber rifle with a .308" "bore" diameter.
Or aiming his M1, M16, or Palma Match rifle with "open sights."