• DSC06019.JPG
    DSC06019.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 900
  • DSC06020.JPG
    DSC06020.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 873
Last edited:

HighValleyRanch

Yeah, those awful skin biting grenades. Almost as bad as the XD grip zone baloney!
Now it feels like silk in the hand. I also straightened out the back hump.

Interesting that I searched all day on the internet and could not find anyone who had ever done this before, other than grinding and restippling. But no other smoothies.

Charlie98

I actually like the vicious teeth on my Kahr 9's, but you ain't seen nothing until you've handled a Kahr .45... Having said that, you certainly did a nice job!

Fishbed77

Yeah, those awful skin biting grenades. Almost as bad as the XD grip zone baloney!

Now lets avoid the crazy talk! Nothing compares to GRIP ZONEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

That said, I appreciate the texturing on the PM9/CM9. It isn't comfortable, but it really does lock that little pistol in place, and doesn't cause an issue when carrying (like aggressive textures on the sides of the grip will do).

If I want to shoot long range sessions, I just pick a more comfortable pistol to shoot. My CM9 is for defensive carry and periodic practice.

dyl

I actually added a Hogue Handall Junior to mine because like you I didn't like the sharp texture and wanted more to grip.

How did you mimic the final matte finish? Bead blast? Sandpaper?

HighValleyRanch

How did you mimic the final matte finish? Bead blast? Sandpaper?

I worked my way on the sandpaper from 40, 150, 220, 400, 600 grit paper. I tried 1000, but it got too shiney. The trick was to use Fiebings black leather dye to color the polymer back to the original color and get rid of the whitish sanding finish. Applied the dye with q tip and wiped off to desired color. It's permanent and doesn't come off.

dyl

Neat idea. I always wondered what it would take to restore a factory finish on plastic (oh excuse me... polymer). I am curious what a bead blast would do but I suspect it would still benefit from your idea of black dye. I've got an "old" police trade in Gen 3 Glock and after sanding it... let's just say it looks perpetually dusty.

smee78

Very nice job, the color matches excellently. I never thought about using leather dye to color polymer?

HighValleyRanch

and after sanding it... let's just say it looks perpetually dusty.
Exactly what happens since you are disturbing the polymer fibers. So by sanding it finer, you get finer "fibers" or tips. Then by applying the dye, it colors the ends of the sanded fibers back to the original color.

I've done a few mods where I filled in with devcon black plastic over the polymer, and that worked out pretty good. But the Devcon black is no longer avaiable, so I use another plastic weld material that was clear, but added the black leather dye to it in the wet stage and it came out very black in the overlay. But again it was hard to match the polymer color exactly. But in this case, I was fine stippling, so it came out pretty good and I use a flat black spray over the stippling aread to match.

You might want to check out this old thread about my plastic mods:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582401&highlight=glock

Last edited:

Charlie98

I actually added a Hogue Handall Junior to mine because like you I didn't like the sharp texture and wanted more to grip.

That's what I have on my CW45, it works very well.

I don't have any sort of rubber grip on my 9's, mostly because I don't think the factory grip texture is a problem, and because rubber/tacky grips seem to get hung up on my shirt when I'm trying to do drills.

Ricklin

Lamp black

I like old Colt's, the hard rubber grips are often chipped or cracked.

Clear Epoxy and add lamp Black, does not take much. I don't know where to purchase the lamp black.

Siggy-06

An alternative to leather dye for polymer refinishing, is Mother’s Back to Black. It can usually be found at Walmart.

HighValleyRanch

Gosh, dumb me! I hadn't thought about that at all!:p

If I do sell it, I will advertise it as a "Prototype" model that they sold before they decided to put the dumb grenade checkering on. A "one of a kind" model!:D