I Messed Up - Help

ScotchMan

Ok, so I just got into this reloading thing. I didn't do my homework and just bought what my friend has, because he recommended it, and showed me how it works, and it looked awesome. It's a Lee Pro 1000.

Well, long story short, I've spent the last 3 nights messing with it and I have loaded one, yes one, round, and the primer sticks out the back about 1/4 of an inch. I have lots of cases with no primers, or a primer and no powder, or a primer and powder but the bullet won't seat. The timing on the shellholder is off so it never cycles completely, so half the time a primer doesn't pop up, and cases are constantly getting stuck and jammed. I hate this thing, it is not doing its job, and I am spending more time looking at it with a flashlight from every angle trying to figure out what the !@#$ is getting stuck now, and very little time loading rounds. And NO time shooting, which is the ultimate goal here.

I'm done. I didn't do my homework, or I would have seen the countless advice here saying progressive is a bad way to start, or read the accounts of many of you who have been reloading for 30 years and hate progressives. I messed up, and I am smart enough to realize it!

It's going back to Midway and I'm replacing it with a single stage or a turret. What I need now is help figuring out what to get. I am doing this primarily to save money, so I don't want a $300 press. I am not necessarily married to Lee, but I have no reason to dislike them (the press doesn't reflect poorly on them in my eyes). The Pro 1000 was $169.99 including dies, but I assume I will need to buy dies with the new press. I'd like to keep the total cost less than what I'm returning, so $170 for press and dies. I think I want a turret press; it sounds like you could load a little faster than a single stage without the complications of a progressive. Ideally I'd like a solution where I could have a "tray" of dies for one caliber, all in the correct positions, and then a second "tray" with another caliber, and just swap out the whole tray. This way I could avoid screwing in the dies and getting all the sizes just right every time I want to load something else. Can a turret do that?

I appreciate your constructive advice; again, I know I goofed up, and I'm trying to do the right thing and start with something simple.

jrinne0430

I currently use the lee turret (manual) press and like it. Based on what you stated, it should fit your needs and will work with your existing dies. You can purchase additional turrets and leave the dies set in them...just swap out the turrets for when you want to change the calibers.

ScotchMan

Ok so if I buy this press:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=814175

And another one of these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=292460

I can put the dies in and just swap out? How is the tray attached to the press? Are those bolts? It's terrible how little information there is on the product pages.

Also, is this something I could use as well:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=540522

It looks like you set it and then use that arm on the back in the picture to dispense and reset it, but it doesn't SAY that anywhere so I'm not sure. Can I use that as a standalone device separate from the press?

trublu

Why don't you get your friend to set it up for you ? And teach you how to use it - and there's plenty of help on here and on youtube for instance...

Are you reloading for rifle or pistol or both ? I use a Lee classic turret for both and it is great !

jrinne0430

That press will work with those extra turrets. The turrets swap out by turning them half way and sliding them out (the instructions are included with the press and no tools needed). The powder measure you listed is a stand alone and will not work with the press as an auto despenser. Midway/lee sells the specific power despensor for that press but you could charge your rounds as a seperate process and use the press for the rest. I would deactivate the auto index feature until you get a hang of the process.

ScotchMan

I don't want the powder to auto-dispense. That's what I have on the Pro 1000 and I hate it. Half the time it just dumps the powder everywhere. I know its just not set up right, but I don't like it. If I can use that powder dispenser to just hold the case under it, press the bar, and it dumps the powder, I'm happy.

Next question, do I need the three die set or four die set? It seems the "Factory Crimp Die" isn't strictly required, so can I roll with three?

jrinne0430

Depends on you. You can go with the four hole model and if you do not use all of them, no problem. If you decide to purchase the auto powder despesnor later, you will want to have the four hole model since it takes up a hole (particularly when using lee dies with rifle rounds).

Edit: You do not need the four die set to use the four hole turrrets. You will just have one hole not in use. Also, I have that particular powder despensor and it works good but will leak a little bit of ball powder around the drum. Not much but annoying.

Memnok

I say this because you already have a progressive, and will likely start using it as soon as you begin to figure things out...

Get a Lee Reloader Single Stage Press and learn how to reload pistol rounds first. The press is not much money, will work with the dies you already have, and will continue to be useful later on when you want to batch process brass, or pull errors.

When you have got the hang of things on the single stage, you will begin to understand the progressive, and how it should be working.

kealil

I use the lee turret press with the four die carbide set. Works great. I also use the auto disk powder and the lee easy prime. Everything I have that is reloading or casting related is a lee product and I have to say everything works flawlessly or near flawlessly. I will admit that my six cavity lee mould is ******* me off because I was an idiot.

Go with a lee turret or classic turret and you'll be happy

mehavey

PLEASE consider the following two options for a lifetime single stage press:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=513567
513567.jpg

$150

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=585100
585100.jpg

$125

All your current dies and shellholders fit either of them, and they are the industry standards for excellence. [Lee notwithstanding] I've been running the Lyman Crusher for 30 years, and just got the RCBS RockChucker for my son up at Ft Lewis.

You will always have, and use, a single stage no matter what progressives you eventually buy -- particularly as you get into rifle cartridges needing both room and non-flex strength. (I originally got the Lyman to load the Sharps 45x3-1/4" case. It continues today to load everything from 38 Special to 458 WinMag)

Last edited:
+1 Mehavey, until you learn the basics a single stage press is best for the newbee, personally I like RCBS products 1st last and always. Additionally there is nothing wrong with the lyman or there products, they make quality products/tools too.. William

WANT A LCR 22LR

" The timing on the shellholder is off so it never cycles completely, so half the time a primer doesn't pop up, and cases are constantly getting stuck and jammed. "

There is nothing wrong with the press, it is a adjustment and operator issue. Those that say a 1000 is unuseable are expecting too much from a value priced machine and have no idea how to deal with mechanical devices. Yes, the more expensive machines can crank out 1 K trouble free rounds in a hour, but what do these machines cost?

There is a phillips adjustment screw that sets the clock position of the shell plate ratchet. Read the directions ( even though there are not that good ) , look for u tube vids online.

The ratchet that makes the shell plate go round and round, if this is worn the plate won't index properly. Spare ratchet wheels and metal fingers are just a few $ and worth getting.

I have a Pro 1000 and with a bit of initial adjusting it works just fine. However, they do not tollerate having the handle blindly ripped at.

Habaz72

If you're looking at Lee equipment consider shopping at factory sales website, it's their factory outlet store. Unless you can only get a store credit from Midway. Also do a search for "lee classic turret press kit". I can't remember the name of the site but they sell a kit with that turret that you can mimic as you shop for your initial setup. There's a sticky at the top tht talks about initial gear for loading, and I think it was forum member Lost Sheep who wrote up a post about what gear he has after cleaning/selling off his loading equipment and starting over.

Oh, and last but what should have come first... Get some manuals and the ABCs of reloading, very useful info.

BigJimP

If you don't like the press - and its frustrated you to the point where you've given up on it - then you should return it or sell it. But let's be honest here - of all the companies making equipment for reloading these days ...Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, Lee, etc ....Lee is probably some of the lowest quality of the pack ...but that Lee press can be setup properly / and perform satisfactorly - if you go back thru the setup process and be meticulous about it.

But if that attention to detail is not what you like ...then you should probably go to a single stage operation like an RCBS rockchucker - so I would 2nd the recommendation to take a serious look at the Rockchucker.

But attention to detail - is still required in any press - even a single stage ! But if it lets you settle into the process - and get more comfortable - then that's what you should do. But I sure wouldn't tell you to go back to Lee .../ especially since you hate their powder measure.

Saving money is certainly part of the reason many of us reload ...but its also a satisfying part of the shooting hobby. I've used most reloaders - many friends were good enough to help me out ...and I used a Rockchucker for a long time ( but its really really slow on handgun ammo ) ...and my hunch is you will be lusting for a progressive in awhile ( take another look at Dillon equipment when you get ready - the SDB, 550 and 650 are all good presses - as is the Hornady LNL ) ...so don't give up on a good, well made, progressive machine down the road. A good progressive press -well set up - will produce very consistent and very high quality ammo / and if you have a press with a "powder check" in it, it will give you a great deal of extra assurance that you are manufacturing very good ammo.

Last edited:

Tim R

learning to reload on a single stage press is sage advice. Like many others I like RCBS carbides for pistol. I have never had to use a FCD on any of the 1,000's of pistol rounds I have loaded over the years.

The lock ring on the die helps you keep the die set up thw way you want it. I never bothered with the idea of locking the lock ring and set my dies up each time. It takes so little time to start with. I use the lock ring to hold the die in place on the press.

WANT A LCR 22LR

Many people post the a new loader should learn on a single stage and never a progressive ( Lee 1000 type press ) . This is only partialy correct.

A new loader should perform one operation at a time until they get a feel for the process. This can be accomplished in a progressive by inserting one casing at a time and going through the stages. This one at a time is also critical during setup because it will allow misadjusted dies to be identified.

" Lee is probably some of the lowest quality of the pack . "

I'm not sure I'd call the Lee stuff low quality, the parts are well designed and manufactured, however the instructions and final factory setup are lacking. But remember this press can be adjusted to hum right along if you take the time. It also is ~ $ 170 including everything except a scale making it a great value. Think of it as a value priced machine that needs development.

Tim R

OK then, The reason some forget the suggestion for a single stage is about learnig the steps. It alsoo cuts down the number of squibs, upside down primers and other goof ups incountered when first starting to run a progressive.(old timers too) Besides I don't know many reloaders with a progressive who can't use a single stage press some where close by for those lttle things which come up. Just because many suggest it won't always mean the person has the know how to set up like in this case. By starting with basics I believe you are more educated when it comes to using a progressive. The first time I ran a progressive was a Dillon 650. I still managed to make a few bullets with no primers. I had been reloading for a few years and you expect a newbie to figure it out? I will not believe you can run yoour progressive and not have a cull once in awhile. Experence will often catch the mistake. A person just starting out won't always catch it. This could be bad for the firearm.

Last edited:

Lost Sheep

Lost Sheep here, thanks for the mention, Habaz72

Habaz72 said:
If you're looking at Lee equipment consider shopping at factory sales website, it's their factory outlet store. Unless you can only get a store credit from Midway. Also do a search for "lee classic turret press kit". I can't remember the name of the site but they sell a kit with that turret that you can mimic as you shop for your initial setup. There's a sticky at the top tht talks about initial gear for loading, and I think it was forum member Lost Sheep who wrote up a post about what gear he has after cleaning/selling off his loading equipment and starting over.

Oh, and last but what should have come first... Get some manuals and the ABCs of reloading, very useful info.
Actually, (I have from a reliable source) Factory Sales is not actually associated with Lee. They are physically in the same city, but not linked. They do have good pricing, though. May I suggest Kempf's Gun Shop. Sue Kempf helped me a lot and uses a Lee Classic Turret herself, after retiring (as I did) my Lee Pro-1000 presses.

I did not get rid of the Pro-1000s because they were bad. It was because I was stopping every stroke to check each of the three simulatneous operations to ensure everything went right. It almost always did, but I am very cautious about not missing steps. Even though the presses were progressive, I apparantly am not.

I have a single stage press, but elected to get the Classic Turret because I load a half-dozen calibers and swapping dies and shell holder is so much easier on the turret than on any progressive. My output speed on the Turret is equal to what I got on my progressives and swapping calibers is much simpler.

If you elect a single stage press, you can achieve the same degree of caliber-swapping convenience with a bushing press. (Just a single stage press, but instead of screwing the dies into the press, you screw them into bushings which can swap out of the press with a one-third turn. Very fast and the dies' adjustments are kept.) Lee makes a couple and Hornady does, too. Others, I don't know about, but probably, too.

Bushings are about $10 a pair where turrets are about $13 each (four-hole).

If you take a big beating on the return of your press or cannot return the press or decide to give it another try, don't worry. The technicians at Lee can help you with setup and operation. Lee's techs answer emails usually within one workday, but generally only address one question at a time, so keep the questions simple, clear and unambiguous. The Lee directions packed with their gear is universally dismal reading, but there are videos on the web that can help and plenty of advice here.

Advice one: Only put one cartridge case in the shell plate at a time. Size the case (watch the shell plate rotate the cartridge case to the next die station) prime the case, bell the case mouth, watch the shell plate rotate to the bullet seating/crimping station. Do the bullet seat and watch the shell plate rotate again and kick the finshed cartridge out the exit chute. Only then put the next case into the press's shell plate.

Do it like that for a while until you get used to the action and get the timing (the rotarional positioning) of the shell plate correct. (The turret is properly oriented, right? It should engage the spring detents just so.)

Advice Two: Are you using the Auto-Disk powder measure? It fits on the case-mouth belling die and only actuates when a case pushes the belling mandrel up.

If you want to eschew the powder measure altogether (for a while) you can still use the Lee Powder-Through die. Just measure out the desired amount and pour it into the collar/bushing that came with the die and screws into the die in the place of the Auto-Disk measure. Lee makes a $4 plastic funnel the fits into the collar just right. Lee's powder scoops are very handy if you go this way, or you can weigh out each charge and pour from the measuring pan.

I am sorry I can't provide the links I have collected, but I had a computer crash and my files are locked incommunicado. They are still there (I hope) but the disk the are on will not boot. I hope to get them back soon, but in the meantime, don't lose faith.

Third advice: For $200 Kempf's sells a kit that includes (in addition to the press)
1) a set of dies (the 4-die deluxe set, which is worth it)
2) 2 primer feeders that work MUCH better than the Pro-1000's (They are like little Pez dispensers on a swing arm and keeps the primers above all the burnt detritus from spent primers and lets you SEE the new primer is oriented properly BEFORE you try to seat it.)
3) Auto-Disk powder measure (which is the only powder measure I use anymore, trading off my Redding, Lyman and RCBS measures. I prefer the Auto-disk, powder scoops or measuring each charge (or a combination of the last two.)
4) a half-dozen plastic ammo boxes

No scale, but many people prefer something other than the Lee scale. The Lee scale is equally accurate as any other, but only goes up to 100 grains, requires you know how to read a vernier and have good eyesight for close up. I prefer my RCBS 10-10, made by Ohaus.

Dondor

Just remember one thing about reloading.

When you reload, make sure everything is correct. If you are wrong catastrophic things can occur up to and including loss of life.

Be 100% sure on your reloads. If you are not comfortable using a progressive, use a single stage.. If you are not comfortable with that, spend the money on factory loads.