I may be slow, but

davlandrum

I am finally considering seriously starting to reload. I read the sticky's including the excelent getting started post. I am still unclear if I can just use one press (with the correct dies) for both pistol and rifle.
Anything very different in the set-up?

Thanks in advance

Yes. You only need a special wide throat press for .50 BMG and some of the old Nitro Express or high capacity BP cartridges (e.g., .45-160). Larger diameter rifle cases will be more difficult to work with a Lee hand tool press, so you may want something bigger for ease of stroke. Lee's relatively new Classic Cast Iron Press is a good choice to be able to do absolutely everything.

Pistol is usually shot in much higher volume than rifle. Down the road you may want to go to a progressive press for pistol if you shoot it enough, but starting with a single stage basic press like the Lee is good for learning what to look out for and how the different stages feel and how the dies are set up for them. Lots of good demo streaming video on Lee's web site. Unless you are competing in matches regularly, you probably won't need anything faster for rifle reloading.

Pistol die sets usually contain at least one more die than most rifle sets. They need to expand the case mouth, while bottleneck rifle die geometry allows an expander ball to be built into the sizing die. Rifle seating dies generally don't crimp. Pistol dies do, though a separate crimping die operation often works better for pistol. Lee makes separate dies for crimping rifle cases if you find you really need to crimp them (Lee Factory Crimp dies). In lever gun rounds using cast bullets, I often add a crimp to prevent bullet push-back in the magazine.

Last edited:

Smokey Joe

Best first purchase...

Davlandrum--Unclenick has about nailed it on the differences. And Good On You, reading the stickies first!! :):)

May I earnestly suggest that your first purchase be The Standard Text on reloading, titled The ABC's of Reloading. Published by Krause Publishing, www.krause.com or get it from yr local sptg gds sto, gun sho, or on the I'net.

Covers the basics of all types of reloading, and goes well beyond the basics so you really understand what you're getting into. Has info for reloaders @ all levels; belongs on every reloader's bookshelf, well thumbed, IMHO.

Oh, and welcome to The Magnificent Obsession--Reloading! :):D:)

davlandrum

Thanks for the replies! For right now, all I need to reload is 30-06 and 45 ACP. Actually, "need" is probably not the right word, since I don't shoot thousands of rounds. I mainly want to get the max out of my rifle, and thought if I am going to start reloading, I may as well do my pistol ammo as well.

firechicken

Actually, "need" is probably not the right word, since I don't shoot thousands of rounds.

Soon you'll be buying new guns just so you can reload for a different caliber, and find yourself going to the range to shoot simply because you don't have any empty cases to reload! Welcome to the addiction! :D

rantingredneck

I just got my gear in the past week or so myself. Just tumbled my first cases tonight. As firechicken informed me about an hour too late :D, you should never tumble two different size pistol cases together. The manuals don't seem to cover that fact. :eek:

Ifishsum

Wait until you're scrounging and saving brass for calibers you want to buy in the future :D It's a fun and addicting hobby to be sure.

CrustyFN

If you aren't going to need thousands of rounds a single stage would be great. The Lee Classic Cast is one of the best and can be had for a good price.
Rusty

jamaica

As firechicken informed me about an hour too late , you should never tumble two different size pistol cases together.

Too funny. Ya I recently got a tumbler and tossed a handful of 38 brass in with a load of 44 Spl brass. The 44s got brightened up but the 38s didn't. :)