I like pretty wood!

Jevyod

This is the stock on my Mauser getting new life as a 358 winchester! I love the wood on this particular one. I believe it will be a pretty looking rifle! Malcolm Ballistic tooling from Arkansas is doing the work.

Attachments

• Gun-1.jpg
    Gun-1.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG952018081295065450.jpg
    IMG952018081295065450.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 202

Jevyod

Tim Malcolm from Malcolm ballistic. He is the type of guy who will work 9 hrs on the wood to metal fit, and at the end of the 9 hrs have only about a cupful of shavings.

Wyosmith

THAT'S pretty!
I love classic wood stocked masers. Your 358 is an under appreciated caliber. I made a few for Wyoming elk hunters and so far I have never heard anything bad said about how well they work.

LineStretcher

I love wood stocks too. They're getting hard to find on a new rifle and when you do, the quality of the wood is just not up to par. I've posted in other threads regarding my 1960 Weatherby Mark V 257 WM. I have an end mill and lathe so I decided to free float it and pillar bed it. That all went very well and the stock turned out amazingly beautiful but the LOP was too short and I was having a hard time getting a quick cheek weld.

I went to Boyd's Gunstocks and ordered one of their XX Claro walnut Platinum stocks with all the trimmings. That stock arrived yesterday and if fit like a glove. I'm going to shoot it and then see if it requires bedding or not, I sort of doubt it will. The original Weatherby stock is in the lower right of the image.
a4460dd690b6226969c28faaeef0a14e.jpg

Nunya53

I like it AND I'm looking for someone for my next build off a Whitworth action. Malcolm is only a short distance from the range I go to so I may stop in and get a quote.

Jerry

Nunya53

Jevyod said:
This is the stock on my Mauser getting new life as a 358 winchester! I love the wood on this particular one. I believe it will be a pretty looking rifle! Malcolm Ballistic tooling from Arkansas is doing the work.

I looked it over when I was in Tim's shop today. It is really nice looking.

Jerry

Last edited:

RC20

While not true wood, I have built some good looking rifles on Savage actions with the Laminated stocks from Boyds.

Not nearly the panache of a good wood stock but far better looking than Tupperware and glass (not to mention just as stable)

I have not put other than Savage in a Boyds but the fit is outstanding, very little tang relief and it fit like a glove, did not bother to bed the two I did (a third on an EABCO stock of the same type defily needed to be bedded)

Nunya53

Jevyod said:
Wow I am jealous you got to see it! Was it blued yet?
Sorry, but I can't say for sure as I was only admiring the stock. I don't think it was but I will probably stop by there this weekend as it is only a mile from the range I go to.

Jerry