I know This Sounds Silly, But...

Single Six

Serious question here guys; if I thought I knew the answer, I wouldn't ask. To the point: We've all heard about how keeping your magazines fully loaded will, over time, cause the mag spring to "take a set" and thus compromise reliability. My question: So if you took, say, a 30 round mag for your Mini 14 and kept it continuously loaded with only 15 rounds, would that be okay? Or, would it still compromise spring tension, only over a longer period of time? As always, any and all opinions welcome, and thanks in advance.

old bear

A PROPERLY MADE magazine spring will NOT 'take a set
[/QUOTE

I believe that is correct.

Yet Jeff Cooper in all of his writings, stated that he changed his magazines at the first of the month when he paid his bills. If it's good enough for Mr. Cooper I would believe it is good for everyone else.

FALPhil

Cooper was human. As such he made mistakes. Heck, even I made a mistake once. I thought I was wrong about something once, and it turned out I was right after all.

drail

The problem with people mindlessly repeating that a properly made spring will not take a set (which is quite true) is that most people have no idea whether or not their spring was properly made or imported from Pakistan and made from recycled tuna cans. Downloading a mag by a couple of rounds is not a bad idea for long term compression. Now if you have replaced the original springs with Wolff or ISMI springs they will most likely not take a set.

Terry A

Up until recently, I always topped off all my mags in the guns that I kept loaded. Then I heard Larry Vickers say that he always loads his mags at "minus 1". So I started not topping them off. And the only reason is because Larry Vickers said so! :D

Keeping a mag at half load shouldn't damage the integrity of the spring. Still, you'd be remiss not to test them regularly.

And actually, the amount of ammo in the mag is not what damages the mag spring. They're actually damaged more over the long haul by constantly cycling ammo. The more the spring compresses and then flexes (sp?), the quicker the spring loses it's tolerances.

Keeping it fully or near fully loaded for extended times doesn't really damage the spring like you may think it would.

Still, they need to be checked on a fairly regular basis.

Double J

Like anything else, a spring will wear out. Constant loading and unloading will shorten the spring's life considerably. Keeping a magazine loaded should be no problem.
The idea of loading one round short is to reduce the force needed to feed that first round off the top, and helps prevent a hang-up on a fresh magazine. 29 in a 30 is a good idea.

BlueTrain

Well, here's a couple of comments on the issue of springs. Why do people buy what they think is the best handgun on the face of the earth, which in the heavyweight class is probably the Colt Government Model, then think that all the springs need replacing, sooner or later, not to mention anything else they can easily replace?

Everyone seems to have stories about old magazines kept loaded for decades and now I have one of my own.

My father-in-law passed away year before last and last summer, finally, we got around to cleaning out the house, garage, barn, sheds and attics. I got two pistol belts, one a pea green color from before WWI that looks untouched, plus my father-in-law's personal one from WWII that looked like he wore it when he changed the oil. They both had magazine pouches (almost said clip pouches!) and first aid pouches. The one with the pre-WWI belt still contained one magazine for a .45. It was the kind with a lanyard loop on the base and it was loaded. Spring works fine. The ammunition, which was in good shape, considering, was commercial ammunition, however, so I can't honestly say how long it had been loaded, only that my father-in-law did not own a .45. He told me he traded it for a Model A engine and that was probably from before 1950. However, the Model A was still there.

There was also a box of .38 S&W cartridges, about 3/4 full, but they didn't look so great. There was also a whole tobacco can full of .45 cartridges.

Onward Allusion

Just gotta add one thing. While it is mostly true that keeping a mag fully loaded will not hurt the spring, there is a difference between single stack and double stack mags. You're putting quite a bit more pressure on the double stacked mag springs. I personally can attest that the spring from a double stack mag will become less springy (technical word, eh) just by leaving it fully loaded for an extended period of time. Now, what impact toward the pistol's reliability is another question.

drail

Extra capacity magazines like a single stack 8 rounder is compressing the spring and follower deeper into the magazine and in use won't hold their strength as long as a 7 round mag or an 8 round that is downloaded one round. This not an internet theory, I have observed this from years of competition shooting. I always shot a single stack Springfield and fed it from McCormick 8 round mags but only loaded 7 rounds into them. (Mr. Vickers is right) The springs lasted at least 2 or 3 years before they weakened enough to start exhibiting last round feed problems. Replace the springs and they're 100% again. Double stack magazines stress their springs even more and if left fully loaded they will require spring replacement more frequently than if they were downloaded a couple of rounds (depending on the quality of the springs, how overcompressed they are, and how well the tempering job was.) If you want maximum reliability from your mags don't load them to capacity and leave them that way for long periods. They'll work for a while but they all weaken eventually and leaving them overcompressed will make it happen sooner. I would much rather give up a round or two of capacity to gain feed reliability especially on a carry gun that MUST work every time.

RickB

The "won't take a set" conclusion also assumes that the spring was properly designed for the task. 8-round 1911 mags were, for years, 7-round mags with an extra round stuffed into the space normally occupied by spring and follower. The springs are actually weaker than a 7-round spring, or there wouldn't be room for an eight round. I'd expect that spring to have a different life span than a 7-round mag's. The springs are plenty lively in eight or ten G.I. mags that are 60-90 years old. That said, I've had a Wilson Combat 8-rounder fully loaded for about fifteen years, and it's worked each time I've taken it out for a test.

Skans

I wouldn't worry about this with a factory Ruger spring - those magazines last a long time, loaded or even frequently loaded and unloaded. In any event, springs are cheap - buy extras if you are concerned. Also, don't forget that your magazine's spring is always under a considerable bit of tension anyway, with no ammo loaded in the magazine.

silentargus

Whether mag springs can take a set or not, it can't be a bad idea to check every once in a while to make sure nothing's happened while your loaded mag was in storage. Condensation where there isn't supposed to be any, a little patch of rust causing the follower to get stuck, a dead bug rattling around inside... lots of things can happen when you're not paying attention.

drail

It won't hurt anything but there's really no need. If the spring is being compressed within its designed working range it will last just as long - compressed or relaxed.

nefprotector

I keep my mags topped off year round. I once had a CZ75B mag fully loaded, that I lost, found it about 4 years later worked like a charm.

egor20

I'm a "Belts and Suspender" guy (if its made by man, its gonna screw up eventually). I switch out my magazines every 3 or 4 months and change springs about every year, but hey, that's just me.:cool:

RickB

Buy new springs every year, and don't worry about it. Even if the springs would last for ten years, what's $25 when your life (or a tin cup) is on the line? Not that it's really related, but I was reading about a guy who blew up his $1000 rifle with a cheap "commercial" handload of unverified origin, in order to save a couple of bucks on ammo; why risk it?

Skans

FWIW, I have a Glock magazine that I keep loaded with 19 rounds (has +2) and that I also use for shooting frequently. Its now about 20 years old. It still feeds perfectly, but I've noticed that it is much easier to load. Probably could use a new spring....but, I like it because its easier to load. This magazine has seen a ton of use, and long term storage packed to capacity over 20 years. That's a lot of service life! A Mini-14 magazine spring probably gets much less use over the course of 20 years....just not something I'd spend a whole lot of time worrying about.