I know I have enough guns already, but...

spacecoast

I have one of those "special" birthdays coming up :) and this big hoss found its way into my stable yesterday:

It's a S&W 6-1/2" 629 Classic DX (.44 magnum), model 629-4, manufactured in 1994. This revolver was in the original box, extremely clean, and shows just the faintest hint of a turn line, so I have to believe it hasn't been shot much at all. Being a DX it is supposed to be extra-accurate and came with all paperwork, including a 5-shot target showing that it shot a 1.8" group at 50 yards when test fired using Federal 240 gr. JHP ammo. The Hogue rubber grips (my favorite for shooting) came with the S&W logo, so I think they are original as well.

I did some research on the Model 29/629 and learned that early 29s and 629s had issues with handling hot ammo, and were strengthened starting with the 29-4 and 629-2 models, with further improvements in the 29-5 and 629-3. Hence my decision to look for an early 90s specimen without MIM parts and the ILS. I don't intend to abuse this gun, but will probably shoot at least a few of my hot H110 reloads at each range trip, much as I do with my 686-4. Most of my practice will be with "light .44 specials" (ala Dirty Harry Callahan) and with mid-level loads using Unique or Titegroup and cast bullets. This gun was made the same year as my beloved 686, and I believe also pre-dates the use of MIM parts.

DSC01857.jpg

DSC01855.jpg

DSC01860-1.jpg

DSC01863-1.jpg

Last edited:

Winchester_73

I know I have enough guns already, but..."
Wow.

That's just frightening.

There's no such thing as "enough."

Never.

Once again, leave it to Mike to take the mouth right out of my words!

There is no such thing as enough! Did you ever hear a woman say she has enough shoes or types of makeup? NO! Well then, I rest my case.

In fact, me personally, had I been the OP, I would already be thinking about the next one....and thats how you get a nice collection, by never being satisfied with what you already have.

Btw, nice gun.

Last edited:

mkk41

That's a beaut!
As my screen handle suggests , I'm a .41 mag fan , and have a similar revolver , a Lew Hortons 657 Classic Hunter w/6 1/2 full lug barrel.

Only have 1 .44 mag , an Old Model Super Blackhawk.

Still , I want one of those limited 29 Classics.

Dave P

Great choice! I picked up a similar Classic a few years ago at the Ammo Attic. Wonderful weapons!

Dennis1209

Get ya a good ole Uncle Mike's ankle holster for that hog and you're all set :D

By-the-way, you must have wooly mamoths, dinosaures and elephants to hunt in your area? Or shoot the BG through a dozen houses :eek:

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
Ancient Chinese wisdom: he who knows he has enough is wealthy.

There's a lot to be said for that, but by the gods, there's not much in life more fun than buying a gun, bringing it home and giving it a once over lightly, taking it to the range, and seeing what it'll do.

laytonj1

Being a DX it is supposed to be extra-accurate and came with all paperwork, including a 5-shot target showing that it shot a 1.8" group at 50 yards when test fired using Federal 240 gr. JHP ammo. The Hogue rubber grips (my favorite for shooting) came with the S&W logo, so I think they are original as well.
The DX's were hand picked from the standard Classic's for their sub 2" groups at 50 yards. Besides the rubbers, they also came with a set of finger grooved wood grips (combat grips) and 4 extra front sight blades interchangable for height and style.

Jim

skidder

Nice gun! Wow, no glory hole, you scored!

I would love to go for a hike with the designer who put the Hillary Hole right in plain sight. They say when a tree falls in the woods and no ones there to hear it, it does not make a noise.:rolleyes:

Cheapshooter

Congrats!!! Very nice 629.

I know I have enough guns already, but..

Now, for this psychological condition you have:
Dr. Cheap prescribes at least an hour per day perusing gun publications, followed by a good dose of The Firing Line before bed.
That should have you cured in no time.

Deaf Smith

What is this 'enough guns' Kemosabe?

I've never heard of the terms 'enough' and 'gun' being used in the same sentence except in Robert Rourke's book, "Use Enough Gun".

And he was right.

Deaf

Slowhand

Great find

Enough guns.
Too much money.
Girlfriend is too good looking.

Lies, all lies.

:D
Well put..... Back to the 629, another great find.

richardcorey

It's not just a name but a statement of fact when they put CLASSIC on the barrel of that 629. It's a beauty, congrats.
And yes, listen to Mike Irwin, he knows of what he speaks.