I Just Stood There in Awe...

So my wife and I went to the range today to test out a Springfield 1903 we just bought. We decided to throw in a couple of other rifles to plink away while the barrel was cooling on the 1903. One of which was our Yugo M48 chambered in 8x57. We set the target up at 50 yards since we were trying to sight in the 1903. As I was spotting my wife and she pulled off this:

attachment.php

That small group was FOUR shots made. The other four were two shots fired then I gave correction. She kept the groupings pretty tight as she worked her way up to the four shot group. It may not be amazing to some. After all, it was 50 yards. But the odds were against her....

1. A Yugo M48. Not the absolute most accurate rifle out there.
2. We were fireforming brass.
3. It was a first time load recipe.
4. The bullet used was a MidwayUSA repackage of Remington 185gr Spire Points. They aren't the most accurate bullets out there and they didn't exactly weigh the same.
5. The reloading data out there for this bullet/cartridge combination is pretty sparse to say the least. I had to do some figuring to find the right balance of safe load level but enough to fireform the case as well.
6. My wife was a bit rusty. Her last outing has been a while.

Needless to say, I was nearly speechless. All I could think was, "Hey y'all, that's my wife!" What a great day!

Skan21

I wish MY wife could shoot like that. Or at all, to tell the truth...... I'm still trying to teach her not to flinch. And I'm pretty sure that Weaver wouldn't even recognize the position she shoots from either. She starts out perfectly, then migrates into......something. She would probably have better luck holding it at a 90 degree angle, looking like she's about ready to rob a 7/11.

5RWill

I agree with Dstyle, Very nice, for some reason i have a feeling she could put me to shame at the range haha. My groups with my .260 on the last 3 sets of groups at 100 weren't that tight. I could consistantly get 2 touching the others would be a little off. Load was 129gr hornady sst, imr4350 powder, remington brass, federal 210 match primers. I think the light bullet wouldn't mix with the 1 and 8 twist on my barrel though. Enough rambling. Anyway your wife can shoot.

Can't wait to get the brass prepped and loaded up with some better bullets. Then, we'll set it out to 100yds and find out how the loads do. I already know how she'll do...:D

mellow_c

All I can say about that is... you may say your wife was rusty...

But really, she was in the zone...!

Good for her, and good for you! looks like fun:D