I just neutered my Winchester.

Nickel Plated

Got a bit bored today and decided to chop down the 28" field barrel on my SXP down to 18.5. I've been meaning to get a 26" barrel instead 'cause I like the way those swing better, and figured might as well do something nice with the old 28". The 26er is in the mail.

This is a SXP Field with the 4-shot mag, so getting an 18" barrel from the 5-shot Defender wasn't gonna work. Either way I always liked the look of an 18" vent rib barrel. Having only handled a 28" shotgun for so long, the shorter pipe is pretty slick and handy. I love it.

Well, there it is.

tssr.jpg

issc.jpg

n851.jpg

Last edited:

SoilworK777

Looking at the cut off portion of barrel, it cut a little crooked. The end result looks good though. How did you clean it up? Also, are you going to paint or blue the end?

Nickel Plated

Might be the picture angle, but the cut is straight and square. I checked it with every single level, square, and straight-edge in my toolbox. Then checked it again.
I cut it with a 24 TPI hacksaw and finished it off with some files and 400grit sandpaper to square everything off and remove any burrs. Might try cold blue on the tip but since the finish is really more of a flat dark gray/black. It probably wouldn't match. Might just be better off masking it and spraying some DuraCoat on it. It's not a large surface so as long as the color is kinda close it'll blend right in.

Still have the bead I removed from the cut off portion. Just gotta get to my buddy's shop with a drill press to drill and tap the barrel for it.

Have you tried it to make sure that you short barrel still allows the gun to function?

Well I haven't gotten to fire it yet. Just cut it this afternoon and getting to a range for me tends to be an occasion that I have to devote the better part of a day to. But I don't see anything that wouldn't function. Cutting a shotgun barrel isn't exactly rocket science. As long as you cut it straight and clean up the edges, it'll fire as good as any factory 18" barrel.

MoGas1341

Looks great! My friend just got an SXP w/ a 28" and was considering buying another shotgun for the home defense. I suggested he buy another barrel and do exactly as you did (keep the 28" for hunting when the season comes) Im gonna show him these pics if you don't mind.

MJFlores

How do you like the gun otherwise? I'm thinking of buying one in 3.5" to sue as my duck / turkey gun. Right now I'm using an older Win 1300 pump.

Nickel Plated

BigD: Winchester specifically meant the SXP to be ergonomically as close to their SX3 semi as they could but in pump format, so the forend and stock do look very much the same. And with all the S'es and X'es it's easy to get them all confused.

MoGas: Sure, go ahead. Just make sure he knows if he intends to buy another barrel for HD, like I said, you can't use the 18" barrel that Winchester sells since the magazine ring is placed further from the receiver intended for the 5-shot Defender model. So to get an 18" barrel on the 4-shot hunting models your only option is to cut a longer barrel. Not a hard job at all. With some very basic tools and a free afternoon, it'll come out just fine. There's guides all over the web if he needs help.

MJFlores: If you're used to the 1300 then the SXP will likely suit you very well. It's really just an update of the 1300 action with the same rotary bolt design. Though keep in mind that it was redone from the ground up so most parts will not interchange from the 1300 since various little dimensions and specs will be different. But accessories are not a problem. 1300 mag extensions fit. From what I read Rem 870 stocks will fit with some minor trimming. Not sure about forends though. But really most anything that belongs on a shotgun can be found for the SXP. I think all the talk of lack of aftermarket is really overblown.

Control layout is exactly like the 1300. I read the action is a little smoother with the whole speed-pump thing working a bit better (mine will completely open the action and eject the empty shell on it's own after firing if you don't hold the forend with even the cheap 1 1/8oz Walmart target loads.) But I never tried a 1300 myself to compare side by side. I'm really fast with this thing on clays. The wood is gorgeous (Turkish walnut I think) Overall a sweet shotgun and better than the Mossbergs and Remingtons for the same price IMO.

Only improvement I think they really should have made when resurrecting the old 1300 is copy the Mossberg's shell lifter design that always stays inside the receiver and out of the way when reloading. Would have actually simplified the whole design too. But it's a small issue that is overcome with a bit of practice.

Last edited:

zippy13

From the pic I took it to be a gas gun
Big D, I'm sure you're not the only one, I was fooled, too. We're accustomed to the short magazine covers on the M and R-gun pumps, the SXP looks like an autoloader .