I just LOVE business plans that will make anti-gunners go apoplectic!

KMAX

I read a lot of the negative comments. Those people scare me, but then I am a fan of freedom and self reliance and intelligence. What scares me is that some of those people with the negative comments vote. Some of the positive comments were not helpful to our interests. If you don't want your kids going to a birthday party at a shooting range don't send them. Let them learn from video games and movies and get more accidental shootings or gang shootings. Don't actually educate them. Keep them in the dark.
I actually think educating kids about firearms and teaching them to respect what a firearm can do is a good idea. Makes for safer society.

Last edited:

Sheriff Gotcha

That is interesting.. I really don't like it when people downplay teaching children about guns. I honestly think that they believe their child will never see a gun. How do they know that their kids best friends doesn't have an irresponsible gun owning parent. That's how accidental shootings occur. Wouldn't it be better to have your kid knowledgable about the subject matter? Better yet teach them they should only handle this object when mom or dad is around?

I like the idea there. I know my children will be well versed in gun etiquette and that alone should be enough to at the very least REDUCE the chance that they are accidentally injured.

Glenn E. Meyer

In TX - they are running take your daughter to the range days.

I took mine and she hung her target (B27) on the fridge door.

As long as they don't serve Big Gulps, they will be safe from Mayor Bloomberg.

Mr. James

Brilliant plan. :cool:

Seriously, educating kids about firearms and what they can do is the only rational approach to instilling gun safety. Saying "guns and kids don't mix LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" hardly makes our children safer.

And just think - we get to say "it's for the children."

1911Alaska

I agree. This is a great idea. Nothing better then teaching kids how to responsibly handle a gun. Its good to take the mystery out of guns for the kids. To educate them is a great idea!

Buzzcook

Kmax you're saying you love freedom, but you find the effects of freedom frightening. That is actually a pretty common reaction.

The gun party thing is a nice idea. I hope the reality matches up with the theory.

I think a bunch of screaming kids, even with one on in instruction it'll be a bunch and they will be screaming, might not be able to concentrate enough for any instruction to stick.

MLeake

I think it will depend on the ages (and maturity levels) of the kids, and the quality of instruction.

When I was 7 and 8, my parents sent me to summer camp. We had archery (target arrows and simple reflex bows), and marksmanship (BB guns, probably Red Ryders). Nobody lost an eye.

My then-12 year old cousin did quite well at his youth hunter's safety course in Florida. So did the other kids. (My cousin had the best written and shooting scores - safety and accuracy. Made me pretty happy, as I had taught him prior to the course.)

OTOH, there was that gun show in Springfield MA a couple years ago where some idiot (Chief of Police, IIRC) left a poorly qualified teenager in charge of his booth, and the teenager and a small boy's father decided to let the small boy shoot an Uzi full auto pistol. Kid panicked under recoil, and rode the trigger all the way as the Uzi rose up under his head. Killed him. Big lawsuits.

So, it depends in part on the kids, and it depends in part on the quality of instruction (program, planning, and instructors).

KMAX

Buzzcook; I find the effects of freedom frightening when not tempered with responsibility, common sense, and maturity.

If the kids are screaming and acting like a bunch of "hooligans", no this is not the right atmosphere for firearms to be introduced on the scene. The same would be true if it were adults behaving that way.

I think the idea of educating the kids is great, but the parents have to be mature and educated too. I have a nephew who is now 31 years old and not totally trustworthy with firearms and in other aspects.I attribute this to his mother who tried to "protect" him from everything due to her own paranoia and never let him learn or be taught many of life's lessons. He went out and learned much the wrong way and got into legal trouble in his youth.

I don't think this birthday party at the range is good for everybody, but I don't think responsible parents who want to educate their kids properly should be denied the opportunity.

pgdion

On the surface I love the idea but Buzzcook makes a great point. Combining range time with 'party' time could make it difficult to provide good instruction and safety skills (not impossible, just an issue that needs to be addressed). We have range days with scouts several times a year and some are fairly young. Age has never been a problem but the day is always prepped with handouts stressing the safety rules and that this is a no-nonsense event. The event starts with some basic firearms information and we go over the safety rules again. Anyone who is fooling around or not behaving responsibly does not get to go on the range (this is made well known up front). We've never had a problem with any of the kids not behaving responsibly on the range and these are typically some of our best outings each year. If you can get the kids to leave party mode behind and switch into serious mode, then it's a really cool idea.

shortwave

I see nothing wrong with the idea, in fact, IMO, a great idea if handled properly by the adults.

Our family has always been a 'shooting' family and have had kids parties which included shooting. Usually archery, air rifle's or .22's.
They were very controlled,organized sessions(it IS possible for kids to have a great time under controlled conditions) with one shooter at a time at the firing line shooting usually at a board of balloons.

Anyone with children, knows there will be times when the normally very well mannered kid shows that he/she is not as perfect as we the parent wants to believe . Get 30-40 kids together and there will more than likely be at least one. :rolleyes:
Since we're talking this Birthday party/shooting event, that's the time whomever is responsible for controlling the shooting event does their job, takes charge and lets all the kids know we're going to have fun but in a very controlled environment.
It can be done.

Hope this Texas event is done with great success.

rickyrick

Taking kids out to shoot is a time honored tradition. Better to have an adult show kids how to shoot than the bump-firing village idiot's kid Down the street.

I watched this story on the news the other day and it's true people honestly think there kids will never come in contact with the gun. They were showing footage but not making commentary on the footage, but what I determined from watching...was looking like they had the kids trying to break cinder blocks with a hammer in order to demonstrate that the bullet is serious business.

What these people don't realize is when standing in line at the service station..: they are surrounded by guns.