I just got some .357 buffalo bore by UPS

Blondie.357

The 125 grain version.

Even though they are dimensionally the same as other 357 magnums, they are more intimidating. I don't know if its the box they came in with the big Buffalo bore logo on it or the solid gold color, but they scare me. They seem to be filled to the top with powder too. I'm a bit scared to shoot these things.

drail

What kind of gun? With really HOT 125 gr. loads you will want to keep a close eye of the forcing cone. Erosion from the powders used in some of these loads will act just like an oxy/acetylene torch on the forcing cone. I have seen and personally done damage to some nice revolvers using that kind of ammo. Shoot some but only once in a while.

batmann

If they scare you, why did you order them, they are not cheap. Buffalo Bore is among the best, if not the best, custom ammo maker out there. Shoot them and then if you don't like them, somebody will buy them.

jad0110

Personally, I'd limit those particular 125 grain .357 loads to guns like S&W L and N Frames (post war) and Ruger Vacqueros, Blackhawks, SP101s, GP100s and Six Series guns.

I don't believe I'd fire a single one in a S&W K Frame. Standard 158 grain 357s, fine. But not those butt stompers.

Jim March

A 686 will cope with those no problem.

Buffalo Bore ammo is NOT linked to any gun blowups that I know of. Most people spending that kind of coin are smart enough not to put 'em in anything really substandard. You couldn't pay me enough to shoot those in an early Italian SAA-clone (esp. pre-1990ish), an early S&W stainless K-frame 357 or, say, an EAA "Windicator".

But I'd feed those to my Ruger NewVaq357, or a GP100, or a 686 (6 or 7 shooter) no worries.

MagnumWill

When you shoot them, let me know how it goes. I've been thinking about ordering some as well.

in the Cabelas magazine, buffalo bore also sells .44 Mag +P+ :eek:

win-lose

in the Cabelas magazine, buffalo bore also sells .44 Mag +P+

I've shot their "heavy 44 magnums" out of a ruger redhawk and they were too much for me... I can't even begin to imagine what the +p+ loads would be like. :eek:

Rigby1962

One thing I see on boards is the incorrect assertion is all Buffalo Bore is loaded beyond SAAMI specs, they are not. As Jim said the 686 will handle them just fine.

gmh1013

I bought some BB 158gr .38's LSWC for my

SP101 snub...these are suppose to be for short barrel revolvers....I know the box said .38 +p but they had more kick than CCI .357 125grain.
After 5 rounds my hand hurt the rest of the day....next time I will buy non +P

Jim March

One thing I see on boards is the incorrect assertion is all Buffalo Bore is loaded beyond SAAMI specs, they are not. As Jim said the 686 will handle them just fine.

My understanding is that their 357 loads are set to the old SAAMI standard of 40,000-42,000psi, instead of the new 35k standard.

I would shoot them in a 686. Not a J-frame-class or K-frame-class gun, or especially any gun I so much as suspect has substandard metallurgy...EAA Windicator, the Charter Arms 357, early S&W stainless guns, older Italian SAA clones, the Taurus Gaucho, some others.

All Rugers so far can cope - as I write this there's no 357 version of the LCR which is predicted "sometime" as a lighter replacement SP101. The 686 is no problem.

wyobohunter

umm

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=103

They will be fine. below is a quote from the Buffalo Bore site taken directly from the "Heavy .357 Mag 125 gr" page...

"This ammo is safe to shoot in ANY all steel 357 revolver - this includes J frames. This ammo is no harder on your gun than any other normal 357 ammo. Please don't phone us and ask if this ammo is safe in your gun. It is, providing your gun is in safe condition for use with any normal 357 ammo."

I"ll probably buy a box of the 180 gr. Hard Cast loads for my wifes model 60 when she gets it... Most of her shooting will be done with light .38 Spcl. handloads, but I think this stuff would be better when she takes the kids on a walk and occasionally has to share the street with Moose. I'll shoot 10 to check POA/POI and we'll have five for carry plus five to spare. It'll keep me from having to buy more brass and dies anyway.

Last edited:

Hedge313

Anyone use Hornady Leverevolution 140 grain?

I have them loaded in my SP101, but have yet to pull the trigger on them. Can someone give me some feedback?

Stiofan

I've shot Buffalo Bore heavy loads out of both my GP100 and my Blackhawk (.41Mag). Frankly the recoil wasn't too bad out of either. I still use them for carry in the woods with the .41Mag. They are too pricey for range shooting, at least for me.

wyobohunter

buying more brass and dies is a GOOD thing!!!!

Nah, not in this case. I've got plenty of other guns to keep fed with my press. I will get set up for .38 Special though, that's what she'll shoot out of her gun 100% of the time. It's hardly worth getting set up for .357 Magnum if I'll only shoot 10 rounds per year just to check the sights compared to her practice fodder.

spoolup

Any updates to the shooting yet?

I just purchased 240 rds of BB 325gr 454Casull for my new Ruger Alaskan, Cabelas had it on sale for 31.99 a box. Ammo should be here mid next week, it will be getting time off of work to shoot that is the hold up for me. Still have a new 1911 and rebarreled XD45 to de-virgin-ize.

Cant wait to try them out, but 84 hour weeks drain ones ability to do really, anything.