I just convinced an interested person NOT to try shooting...

Musketeer

I hate this state (NY).

My assistant came to me today and said her boyfriend and her were going to go find a range this weekend and try shooting for the first time. They wanted to rent some handguns and see how they liked it...

I told them they could not.

In NY you need to go through a lengthly permit process to TOUCH a handgun. The only exception would be if they were to get a certified instructor and pay for a lesson.

They could rent a 22 rifle in an indoor range... or possibly go trap shooting, but it was the interest in shooting guns like on TV that had her motivated and that was killed.

I hate this state.

Tom2

Can't even rent a gun that obviously stays at the range? So I bet you sleep better at night knowing that your state is protecting you. No one ever gets shot in NY, do they? :mad:

Musketeer

I did tell her I would get her signed up for the next NRA Women on Target event.

22 rifles but free instruction at least.

BurkGlocker

I moved to Bklyn with my fiancee, and as soon as I got there, I was asking where I could buy a gun, and some of my new acquaintances were saying that it was next to impossible to get one. I went to the local K-Mart and they didnt even have BB guns. Talked to a couple of beat cops and they started laughing when I asked them where to buy one. Lets just say that Texas was calling my name and after three years in that place I came home. Should've known I was in danger up there when they tried to vote Al Sharpton for mayor... **shivers** But then they voted Hillary in for senator... :barf:

MyGunsJammed

I agree with the OP.... I dislike NYS also, moreso NYC...

I dont know how my family ended up settling here... as when we came to America we settled in MO for a while... and I know MO is a gun friendly state :D

hoytinak

Say you own some property outside of town, can yall legally invite friends over to shoot (on your own property) that don't have a range permit?

44 AMP

Staff
I grew up in New York...

Up in the Adirondacks, and it is a beautiful place Sadly, New York state is politically controlled by the metro complex downstate. The NYC area has the bodies, and so the votes. They get to decide what generally happens in the rest of the state, and they get the lion's share of the tax money.

If there is a more clear example of the fallacy of democracy, a welfare tenant in a third floor cold water walk up in Queens having an equal say with the property owner in the Adirondacks, over what he can do on his property, I don't know what it might be.

Some of the western states are in nearly the same situation (although it hasn't been going on for as long) with the bulk of the population in a small geographical area, virtually dictating to the rest of the state . In Washington and Oregon the people on the west side of the mountains get the bread, and the rest of the state lives on the crumbs. The good thing (so far) is that unlike California, WA and OR govts have not been able to impose the same draconian gun laws as CA or NY, although not for lack of trying!

Under New York law, you cannot possess (and that includes holding it on a range) a handgun without a valid pistol permit. And the permit is both person and firearm specific. The handgun(s) allowed on a permit are listed by make, caliber, barrel length, and serial number! You are licensed for that gun (s) and only that gun(s). If you and a buddy (who has his own permit) are shooting together on a range, you cannot trade guns to fire a few shots, without technically breaking the law.

If you live in New York State, and have a pistol permit, I strongly urge you to get everyone in your household who is legally eligible to apply for a permit and list your handgun(s) on it. If the wife uses your pistol to defend herself while you are at work, and she does not have a permit (or have your pistol on her permit) she is breaking the law, and so are you, by letting her have access to the gun. You could lose your gun and your ability to ever have another.

My family lkearned of this in the late 60's, when Mom and Dad were in a car wreck. Both survived, but one of the things we learned from it was that, had Dad been killed, we would have had to surrender all Dad's pistols (he had 6 at the time), because Mom didn't have a permit. Surrendering to the police meant that the guns would be destroyed after a period of time. Surrendering to the sherriff's dept and the guns would be held, if someone in the family applied for a permit, until the permit was approved or denied. Mom applied soon after, abd both of us kids applied and were granted our permits (listing Mom & Dad's pistols) a few years later when we turned 18. At that time, while the law for buying a handgun said 21, the age at which a permit could be issued was up to the discretion of the issuing judge.

I don't know what the law says today (probably a hard rule for 21) but whatever it is, get everyone in your household a permit as soon as you can. Bettetr for you, better for them. Good Luck. It is a hassle, but if you can't (or don't want to) live somewhere where you can still be (relatively) free, do what you must, and get the permit.

rgoers

NY is a funny state. I grew up East of Rochester, but moved to FL for work in 2007. In NY, I lived out in the country, with an abandoned gravel pit across the street. The neighbor who owned it was a hunter, and gave me permission to use it freely for practice. Despite all of the hassles in NY, I'd go back to having "my own" private range across the street any day!

Having moved to FL, I now have to go to a local outdoor range. It's normally crowded, and highly restricted to what you can and cannot do. No more shooting bottles or empty propane canisters... :cool: Just slow-fire, at a fixed target, 21 feet away. Booooooring!

I agree with the poster who advised getting *family* members' guns on your permit, and visa-versa. Technically, when I was still in NY, I was unable to fire my brother's pistols, and he couldn't fire mine. Stupid laws, at their finest.

Unfortunately, the entire state is run by millions of dolts, all huddled together in the 'city'. It's too bad, because NY state is so incredibly beautiful! I loved camping and snowmobiling in the Adirondacks for the 40+ years I lived in NY... It's too bad that now that I have moved out of state, I will decidedly never return. Taxes, and NYC controlled idiocies, will send me to Vermont, New Hampshire, or Utah, when I finally decide to move back to snow country.

maas

ny is bad i dont think its any worse than california. take a look on gunbroker, most dealers won't sell a gun to cali even if its legal.

Yellowfin

I guess you can own slaves in New York as well, and women, non- white folks, and 18-20 year olds can't vote either.