I have to staon a stock...what household material can I work

Lavid2002

I recently sanded my stock so its flush with the receiver and now I need to refinish it. I dont want to do the whole stock its a work gun but what can I use. Some oil? What?

Thanks

-Dave

ndking1126

any stain you can get from your local hardware store would work. I've even seen people use Old English for the stain. It looked pretty good. Then finish it with tru-oil or something similiar. I think the hardest thing you will have is getting the newly stained part to match the other wood. You may end up wanting to refinish the whole thing.

Or if you really want to get fancy, you can put duracoat on it! I've never worked with it, but watched a few videos on youtube and read up on it. Sounds pretty good.

bamaranger

you won't believe it

I have heard that liquid brown shoe polish can serve as a stock stain on a project rifle. You'd have to play with color of course.

I have also seen stocks (wood) that have been coated w/ truck bed liner, creating a tactical black stock from a wood one.

Good luck w/ your project.

oneoldsap

Yep that truck bed liner works good and you can paint over it with any color that you choose . SEM an autobody supply company has a product that is sold as an adhesion promoter , put that on your stock and then the bed liner . It's one tough finish plus it gives the stock some texture so it don't slip . Mask the checkering of course , before you spray anything .

Lavid2002

DSCN0675.jpg

Not too bad eh?
Still noticeable..

Bigjim3

you can use different waxes for wood and it looks great. The stick wax. looks like a big crayon from minwax.