I have some 44 AMP and/or 44 AutoMag questions please

mwmjones

I have some 44 AMP and/or 44 AutoMag questions please. Does anyone have any good reloading recipes for this caliber and or any advice about these AutoMags in general?

I just picked one up and am trying to find all of the necessary components to start shooting as I have heard that these are wonderful and fun to shoot.

Thanks-Michael
MWMJONES@AOL.COM

bedlamite

A friend of mine has one of these, and while I don't have his loading data, I can tell you he loads 240gr JHP bullets over 2400 powder. Also, parts availability is scarce, so it's recommended that you avoid the full power loads. Hornady lists 20.8gr of 2400 as max for their 240gr XTP. I'd work up from 18 gr and stop when it reliably cycles.

Sevens

We have a moderator here on TFL who goes by the name 44AMP (or maybe it's 44 AMP) and I'm not sure if he reloads or not, but he doesn't hang out in this area all too often as I recall. You can see him quite a bit in the handgun and semi-auto forums.

Were I you, I would send him a PM and see what you see.

Peter M. Eick

44amp.jpg

44amp_1.jpg

This seems only appropriate here.

You can get 44 Automag data in the Hornaday and Sierra Manuals. Suffice it to say, 2400 and 240 grn JHP's are the most common load.

Get a good manual and read up on it. The Automag is an expensive gun to break, so you are going to want to carefully work up a load that works in your gun, but just barely. Keep the urge from turning it into a rifle as you can beat it apart quite easily.

You should get a copy of both of the books shown in the top picture. They should be required reading from what I have been told.

Finally don't ask me for much advice. I bought mine, but seeing it was unfired, I have not shot it. Now, 25 years later, it is still unshot and I cannot bring myself to do it. Someday I will buy another just to shoot, but remember parts are scarce and expensive. A new bolt will set you back over $1000 IF you can find one!

mwmjones

More Automag questions please

I have recently purchased a TDE north Hollywood 44 Automag. It is extremely dirty and sludgy not rust but similar color brownish sludge inside the rails and also inside the chamber along with a lot of powder residue as well. I was wondering if someone could give me a word of advice as to which cleaner will do the best job without damaging any internal components.
It has also been many years since I have actually shot and held one in my hands. This Automag has a lot of play back and forth and seems to be somewhat sloppy in the barrel to slide fit when the bolt is locked back in the open position. Is this normal? Again not to ask stupid questions, but there are no gunsmiths here in the Denver area that have told me either yes or no and I have taken it in to several so far. So I just wanted to be safe rather than sorry if you know what I mean?
Thanks to anyone who helps me in this endeavor and it is why this hobby or obsession is so much fun during the research and leaning stage.

Michael
MWMJONES@AOL.COM

ogree

This Automag has a lot of play back and forth and seems to be somewhat sloppy in the barrel to slide fit when the bolt is locked back in the open position. Is this normal?

Yes that is normal.

Remove the grips & try some brake parts cleaner on the sludge.

One other thing, when the bolt is locked open....you will find that releasing it with the bolt stop is not only painfull on your fingers but almost impossible to operate.

The pistol was designed to utilize the safety lever as the bolt release, just apply downward pressure on the safety lever and it will drop the bolt.

Good luck.