I have my Deer Hunting Hand Gun ready to go afield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer It

Hello All
I spent about an Hour on this gun yesterday cleaning it, waxing it and Placing my Original set of Walter Roper stock's on it. Here is how it came out and I will be hunting this coming week with it Packed in my Factory Padded S&W shoulder Rig. It is a S&W Pre-25 revolver chambered in .45 ACP caliber that makes a One hole ragged group @ The 25 Yard line and I would Love to Bust a Buck's Ass out to 75 Yard's this gun can not miss if I do my Job Right it will certainly Pile up a Buck for me. ;) Regards, Hammer it

010307.JPG

011245.JPG

009351.JPG

008369.JPG

009351.JPG

Dragline45

Personally I don't think any handgun in .45acp is an ideal handgun to hunt deer with. Can it take a deer? Sure but so can a .22. Should you use it to take a deer? In my opinion absolutely not. As a hunter it's your responsibility to use the right tools for the job, you owe it to the animal you are hunting.

Last edited:

riflemen

We don't have a pistol season here so, no pistol wielding deer hunters here, lol.. I guess I would use a pistol put I would want at least a .460 sw mag, now that guy will knock down a buck from a decent distance with no moral dilemma, its just a shade smaller than my 45-70 and I have taken a few animals with that...

If its legal and you feel confident pulling the trigger, go get a deer, I personally would take a rifle, but to each his own, if you have a nice old gun like that I am sure you have been around long enough to know what you are capable of, good luck with the hunt...

Last edited:

Hunter Customs

Very nice gun and the stocks make it that much nicer.

As for killing a deer with the 45 ACP it can be done, I've done it.

Know your accuracy limits, load some stout loads with Herco under a 250 gr cast bullet, place your shot in the boiler room and it's lights out, at reasonable yardage.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Last edited:

TimSr

What ammo will you be using? Also, you mentioned its on the mark at 25 yards. Have you done any testing at 75 yards, and with the ammo you plan to hunt with?

Ruger480

I'm going to agree with Dragline45. I looked at the advertised ME from the big three manufacturers of +P ammo and I don't think I'd push it much beyond 30 yds.

P71pilot

Nice gun man I will also be hunting with a .45acp handgun but its a newer Springfield loaded model 1911A1 with tritium sights. I don't quite get a ragged hole at 25yds (standing, anyways) but I do well enough to keep a whole magazine inside a 3-4" circle or better. Don't listen to anybody who says the automatic colt pistol isnt enough, as long as you place your shot and choose a well designed and constructed bullet, you will have meat in your freezer. Happy hunting

Hammer It

Personally I don't think any handgun in .45acp is an ideal handgun to hunt deer with. Can it take a deer? Sure but so can a .22. Should you use it to take a deer? In my opinion absolutely not. As a hunter it's your responsibility to use the right tools for the job, you owe it to the animal you are hunting.

Hello Dragline45
The .45 ACP cartridge is More than Capable of dropping a white tail Deer out to 75 Yard's as I have it Loaded at maximum level's as I hand Load and Know what it Takes to take wild game with it. This is Not the first hand Gun Hunt that I have been on I bagged a nice size Bob-Cat a few year's ago @37 Yard's with my S&W Model 16-4 revolver that had been re chambered to The Federal .327 Magnum Cartridge and I used my own hand load to do so. Here is what can be done when you are good with a hand gun I hit his Heart and Lungs he Never Knew what Hit him I am that Good with a revolver, so I have Little worries of Dropping a Deer with my .45 ACP it was the chosen caliber by the Military for many year's, far Too many Guy's THINK that They need A Magnum Hand Gun to Hunt with. :confused: Regards, Hammer It

Dragline45

Hammer It said:
Hello Dragline45
The .45 ACP cartridge is More than Capable of dropping a white tail Deer out to 75 Yard's

So can a .22lr, that doesn't mean you should do it. Sorry but I think it's irresponsible as a hunter to use the .45acp to hunt deer with. As I said before it's your responsibility as a hunter to use the proper tools for the job, a .45acp handgun is not the proper tool for the job.

Hammer It said:
I have Little worries of Dropping a Deer with my .45 ACP it was the chosen caliber by the Military for many year's

Yea, for shooting people not deer, and it was their secondary weapon not primary for a reason. Pistol calibers are marginal at best, and even less effective when used out of pistols at 75yds.

Guv said:
What does hunting a wild animal with minimum weapon really prove?

Absolutely nothing, and in my opinion shows a complete lack of respect for the animals you are hunting.

Hammer It

What does hunting a wild animal with minimum weapon really prove?

Hello Guv
It Proves to me that you are not a Marksman Nor a hand Loader that what ! The .45 ACP Loaded right has Got as much Knock down power if Not More than the .44 Magnum cartridge and this one is Loaded right for the Job Nuf said if I get one this Year I will Post the results in this Thread. Deer are Thin skinned Game being Just wild Goat's with Horn's why do you figure that One need's a hand cannon to take one down ? Shot Placement is everything and I can do just that as my Target proves that much...:rolleyes: Hammer It

Dragline45

Hammer It said:
The .45 ACP Loaded right has Got as much Knock down power if Not More than the .44 Magnum cartridge

Not even close... Lets take a look at Buffalo Bores max loads for both rounds.

Heavy .44 Magnum Ammo - 305 gr. L.B.T.-L.F.N. (1,325 fps/M.E. 1,189 ft. lbs.)

.44 Magnum +P Ammo - 240 gr.Soft Cast - G.C. (1,550 fps)

Heavy .44 Magnum +P+ Ammo - 340 gr. L.F.N. - G.C. (1,478 fps/M.E. 1,649 ft. lbs.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

45 ACP +P Ammo - 255 gr. Hard Cast FN (925 fps/M.E. 484 ft. lbs.)

.45 ACP +P Ammo - 200 gr. J.H.P. (1,050 fps/M.E. 490 ft. lbs.)

.45 ACP +P Ammo - 185 gr. J.H.P. (1,150 fps/M.E. 543 ft. lbs.

Last edited:

Hammer It

Those are commercial Factory load's for a semi auto Pistol My "Revolver" hand Loads arer almost a compressed load Not even close to the .45 ACP factory ammo Load, Mine are like the Ruger revolver hand Load's which are much Hotter and faster in velocity I shoot Nothing but my own loads I am Not forced to buy factory ammo...Mine are a lot Hotter and More Potent than what you can buy or what they have to offer... Hammer It

Last edited:

Dragline45

Those are pretty much max loads, you will not be able to safely push a 255gr .45acp much past 1000fps, and even then that is putting alot of stress on your S&W revolver. Buffalo Bore is a specialty ammo company, it's not like grabbing a box of Federal or Remington ammo from a gunshop. If you load your hand loads any hotter than many of the +P and +P+ Buffalo Bore offerings you run the chance of ruining your gun. But back to your previous statement, you will never get .45acp to run anywhere near .44 magnum performance which was the whole point of that post.

Last edited:

Hammer It

Those are pretty much max loads, you will not be able to safely push a 255gr .45acp much past 1000fps, and even then that is putting alot of stress on your S&W revolver. Buffalo Bore is a specialty ammo company, it's not like grabbing a box of Federal or Remington ammo from a gunshop. If you load your hand loads any hotter than many of the +P and +P+ Buffalo Bore offerings you run the chance of ruining your gun. But back to your previous statement, you will never get .45acp to run anywhere near .44 magnum performance which was the whole point of that post

Hello Drageline
I know from reading your responses that you are NOT a hand Loader or you would Know that there are powder's out there that do Not build so much pressure but they do build Velocity. I am using a 200 Grain Bullet which is 40 Grain's less than the 44 Magnum to start with so my Velocity is as much if not more than that of the .44 Magnum Bullet which is .0429" diameter compared to that of the .45 ACP being .0454" diameter which mean's More Kinetic energy on the Busness end of the projectile..;). Hammer It

Ruger480

Hammer It, there is a big difference between a bobcat and a deer. Shooting at a deer with that caliber at distances beyond 30 yds is what I would condsider irresponsible. I don't care how hot you load 'em. The chances of you getting a decent blood trail are slim at best. With the penetration you can expect at longer distances you're looking at a difficult recovery (if there is one).

Now, there are exceptions to almost every situation, you could get lucky and get a spine shot or maybe you live in a state where its legal to use dogs to track wounded deer. Either way, I agree with Dragline 45s comments about the ethics of using barely adequate methods of harvesting game.

Status
Not open for further replies.