I have definite preferences...

SaxonPig

I have always been a man of strong convictions. There are some things I favor, and others I shun. This is true with my tastes in firearms.

In center fire sporting rifles I have two favorites. I like the Mauser 98 and the Ruger #1.

I think the 98 really is the pinnacle of bolt action design. Others have modified the original 98 design, made it more modern looking and perhaps streamlined it a bit, but I don't think anyone has improved on the strength and reliability of the bolt gun since 1898. I have a number of 98s, from factory issue to full blown custom.

Here's a BRNO 21H I paid way too much for a few years ago. I think the 7x57 cartridge is one of the finest hunting calibers ever designed and the small ring 98 action is perfectly scaled for it. I like the double set triggers and the trim, sleek overall design. I think this rifle oozes panache.

standard.jpg

Staying with the BRNO theme here's a 602 in 375 H&H (I just like saying 375 H&H) that I bought nearly 30 years ago. The deep magazine holds five rounds and it is built on a true magnum length action. The single set trigger is OK but I like the double set trigger better.

standard.jpg

I traded an unwanted Colt revolver for a Ruger #1 in 243 Winchester about 20 years ago. Turned out I'm not a huge fan of the 243 caliber but I fell in love with the #1 and find it maybe the most handsome rifle ever made. I now have several (in different calibers).

This is the full stock version combining two personal favorites, the #1 and the Mannlicher style stock.

standard.jpg

This is one you don't see everyday. A #1 Medium Sporter in 300 H&H. The 300 Winchester is more powerful but there's something elegant about that long, tapering 300 H&H cartridge (I also like saying 300 H&H).

standard.jpg

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
:) While I have some different preferences, I certainly have no particular disagreement with your choices. Useful and aesthetically pleasing = Very good choices.

FWIW, I've used both types of set triggers. I found the Canjar single-set to be excellent. But, no flies on the doubles.

Scorch

While I agree with your preference of the M98, I could never warm up to a #1. And I agree, 7X57 is probably the finest cartridge ever fielded.

My latest 98 in 7X57
Mauser%20resized_zps9ebakqrv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

std7mag

For my long guns, I usually head towards the Savage section.

The other year, I ran across a Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts, that I could not pass up. Has been a wonderful shooting rifle.

2 weeks ago I brought home an Interarms Whitworth in 270 Win. Wood stock was missing in action, has a Bell & Carlson stock on it now. $269.

Looking to turn it into another caliber. While the 270 is a fine cartridge, it's just not me.. Looking at 6.5x57 Mauser (no, it's not a wildcat, as some would have us believe)7x57, 8x57 or 35 Whelen.. Haven't decided yet..