I have an old Steyr 9mm

Dingoboyx

It is an ex Chillean Army 9mm pistol. It is breach loaded using a loading strip (no removeable magazine) I have asked locals about what type of 9mm ammo it takes, & all I have found out is it is an 'oddball' ammo made for Steyr alone. Does anyone know what this ammo might be?:confused:

Muzza

ISC

the steyr 1911 uses a 9 mm steyr cartridge that is almost identical to 9 largo (9x23) diminsionally, but loaded much weaker. If you plan to reload you can use 9 largo cases but use 9 luger load data (not P or +P)

Do you have clips for it? For those folks that think that the words "clip" and "magazine" are interchangeable this should an eye opener.

Eddy

Fiocchi was making 9 mm Steyr as recently as last year, I believe. You can use also 9x23 win brass.

Clips for Mauser C 96 pistols will work fine. They are all around

Dingoboyx

By clips, do you guys mean....

Loading strips? That is, strips like loading the old 303's? Evidently to load the Steyr, a strip is loaded with, I believe 8 rounds, then this strip is fitted onto the open breach and then the 8 rounds pushed down into the handle?
There is no removeable magazine (clip) on this gun. Alternatively, I believe it can be loaded one round at a time thru the open breach

Muzza

ISC

Steyr 1911s use stripper clips to load the magazine, which is internal and not detachable.

tailgunner6

I have a Colt Gov't Model in 9mm Steyr (apparently it was from a run of guns Colt made for an Austrian trial/contract that didn't pan out) - here's a pic I took of it a while ago, along with some ammo next to a 9mm Luger round for comparison:

project3mj9.jpg

Are you folks sure 9mm Steyr is dimensionally similar to 9mm Largo?

ISC

My Cartridges of the world book states that the 9 steyr aproxinately 23 mm long and is "quite similar" to 9 bayard long (9 largo)

I've miced them both and they are all but impossible to tell apart by measuring them.

Que

You will find the Steyr to be a sweet shooting gun. I have two, one left original, and another, a Romanina Contract, that was aesthetically a basket case but mechanically outstanding, that I had refinished. My gun left original is a Chilean Contract.

Note that some Nazi proofed guns were converted to 9mm Luger and will bear an "08" stamp on the left side of the slide towards the muzzle. I have never heard of a Chilean Contract gun chambered for 9mm Luger.

My Chilean Contract:
img3381.jpg

My refinished Romanian Contract:
img3581k.jpg

Dave85

By clips, do you guys mean....
Loading strips? That is, strips like loading the old 303's?
Yes. As ISC alluded to, the proper meaning of the word clip is that of a stripper clip as in your Steyr, the Mauser C96, or the Lee-Enfield; or an en-block clip as used in the Garand or Mannlicher. A detachable box magazine (complete with spring and follower) is only erroneously referred to as a "clip."

Often.

Dingoboyx

Here is some pics of the gun

It is 9mm and has "Elercito de Chile" stamped on it?

Maybe it was chilean police? anyone know what the translation is?:confused:

Attachments

• Steyr9mmChileanA.jpg
    Steyr9mmChileanA.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Steyr9mmChileanB.jpg
    Steyr9mmChileanB.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 39

Dingoboyx

^ Thanks Que ^

Hey, that made me feel like James Bond.... maybe you can call me 'M' :D

When I got the Styre and saw the Chilean thing written on it, I thought "wow, if this thing could talk, I bet it ciuld tell a few (nasty) stories" :eek::D

I may be wrong, but I believe the military in Chile can be quite HARSH :eek::D