I have an idea to show RKBA solidarity

SpyGuy

One of the problems in "defending" the Second Amemdment from attack, is that many people have no idea who we are and why we support the RKBA. They have been systematically indoctrinated by the leftist media, schools, and politicians into thinking that we're just a small group of red-neck, wacko, militia-forming, socially-maladjusted, male, WASPs.

The truth is that we're a broad and numerous cross-section of "average" Americans from all social and economic walks of life, all ethnicities, and both sexes. (Ok, we're above-average, but let's not get too full of ourselves. :D) Perhaps if more people could identify us--and identify with us--then there would be less demand for "gun control" (which is really "people control" of us) and greater respect for our Constitutional RKBA.

Education is the key. But how can we educate people if they can't identify us (and identify with us)? We certainly have little influence through normal mass media channels to get our message out. So we need to take it to the streets. By publically declaring our support for the Second Amendment, perhaps we can effect change. But to get the attention of the public (and the unwilling news media), you usually have to be more than matter-of-fact: you have to be somewhat outrageous and controversial.

I was thinking of some sort of mass civil disobedience where we all go out in public openly carrying firearms. There's no way the police would be able to arrest and jail all of us. But the reality is, such a protest would never happen for a number of practical reasons. Besides, if only just one of us got arrested and lost his or her future ability to own a firearm (notice I didn't say right--you can never lose your rights), that would be too great a loss.

So I tried to think of something equally powerful, but with less risk and danger involved. And I came upon the idea of printing up T-shirts and bumper stickers that proclaim:

I Carry a Concealed Firearm for Defense of My Person and My Country
It is my Constitutional right

(or something to that effect)

The beauty is, that we don't actually have to carry concealed (and thus bear no risk of violating any of the absurd anti-carry laws). But the message will be quite clear: we support ALL the articles of the US Constitution, particularly the First and Second Amendments.

Yes, we will encounter some harrassment from people and even from the police. But legally, we are immune: we're merely exercising our First Amendment rights to show support for our Second Amendment rights. The point is, people won't know if we're carrying or not. It would have a similar effect as actually carrying our firearms, without the risk of prosecution.

It might get the public to re-evaluate who Second Amendment supporters really are. It might get the politicians to realize just how many of us are out here. It might get us some media "facetime" for a change. And it might get people to start asking us questions about why we support the Second Amendment.

Remember, we have years of public school and mass media indoctrination to overcome. The only way to do it is to "spread the word."

Comments or criticisms?

Z

Zitadel

Great idea

What I use to do is, I put my Sako T-shirt on that has a logo in the front and a huge picture of an .308 win cartridge on the back. That is a great discussion opener in a lot of places.

Also we had debates in our school about hunting and gun related stuff. And in English class everybody had to do an presentation about some of their hobbies.

I did a presentation about benchrest shooting and a friend of mine did it about reservist activities. He also brought a semiauto reservist rifle to the presentation. We had a good debate about firearms ownership and hunting etc. My teacher had negativ view about hunting but I think she turned atleast neutral after that debate.

Oh and if someone wonders I live in Finland :D

jimpeel

Sometimes it doesn't pay to advertise

"Okay, Freddie, I'll take the guard at the door and Mike will take the guy behind the counter. You take out the guy with the tee shirt."

SpyGuy

You take out the guy with the tee shirt
Yes, I did consider that.

Obviously it would be foolish to wear such a proclamation in "bad" neighborhoods, just as it would be foolish to wear the wrong "colors" in gang land. But in average suburbia, or even most metropolitan areas, the risk of your scenario is very, very small.

gorlitsa

A much more practical method would be some sort of emblem that can be put on pins, clothing, etc, but remain subdued. Similar to the pro-lifers little 'feet'.

Something that could be worn daily would have a much bigger affect.

SW9M

Wear a chain around your neck with a (rea) hand grenade pendant!:D

Well, they wouldn't engage in much debate. They would respond positively to everything you had to say!

"Yes sir!"
" I agree 100%."
"You know, you right! I've never thought of it that way!"

It would be suck up city! (At least until you left the room, or they had a chance to break and run.)

I'm sorry, it my evil side coming out again. I think I'll go take my meds.

SW9M

Wear a chain around your neck with a (real) hand grenade pendant!:D

Well, they wouldn't engage in much debate. They would respond positively to everything you had to say!

"Yes sir!"
" I agree 100%."
"You know, you right! I've never thought of it that way!"

It would be suck up city! (At least until you left the room, or they had a chance to break and run.)

I'm sorry, it my evil side coming out again. I think I'll go take my meds.

SpyGuy

A much more practical method would be some sort of emblem that can be put on pins, clothing, etc, but remain subdued.
Not a bad idea. But I see some problems:

1. I'd be concerned that the only people who would recognize the symbol would be those "in the know" (i.e., the pro-gun coalition). Part of the motivation behind the t-shirt idea was to not only get people to recognize who we are, but to get them to talk to us about why we think the RKBA is a good idea.

2. What symbol would you choose to say you stand up for the US Constitution and the Second Amendment in particular. If it were a little gun or bullet, then school kids couldn't wear it without risk of being arrested under "zero tolerance" rules. And please don't suggest another colored ribbon.

3. Furthermore, symbols and images of guns and ammo tend to alienate those who have been brainwashed to instinctively fear firearms. I want to use words rather than symbols because words are more likely to inspire thought, whereas symbols are more likely to generate a simple emotional reaction.

Something that could be worn daily would have a much bigger effect.
Yes, I agree with you completely on this point.

SW9M

Sorry for the double post.

(man those meds work fast. coulda swore i hit that button once. must be the bouce factor. or was that maybe a delayed brain signal. now i'm blabbering. why am i talking out loud?)

Solitar

Guts - you'll be on point by yourself.

The problem with any public display of our gun ownership is that out of the usual ratio of four thousand people and one thousand gun owners maybe ten gun owners will actually come through with a public show of support as part of a demonstration or parade and maybe twenty will display bumperstickers. And I'm trying to be optimistic for a rural town that is fairly conservative and gun-owning. I'd love to see Independence Day Parades where half the gunowners turned out with sidearms or shoulderarms (and I don't mean fake parade pieces). Just think of it - in a town or neighborhood of four thousand we would see five hundred gun-totin' parade participants. Hah! Two hundred will be someplace drinking beer, two hundred will be home, ninetyeight will be watching and maybe two will be in the parade wearing guns, feeling foolish, and wondering where all their friends are.

Hkmp5sd

One thing I would like to see, especially in Florida where there are already 100 different types, is a automobile license plate with a RKBA picture/logo. Doesn't give any indication the driver is armed or even owns a gun, doesn't intimidate the non-gun people and doesn't say you are a member of the NRA/Republican Party/GOA, or any other "gun fanatic" organization. It just says you agree and support the 2nd Amendment.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
2. What symbol would you choose to say you stand up for the US Constitution and the Second Amendment in particular. If it were a little gun or bullet, then school kids couldn't wear it without risk of being arrested under "zero tolerance" rules. And please don't suggest another colored ribbon.

How about just a simple Roman numeral "II"?

Greg L

To expand on Tamara's idea - go to a surplus store and pick up a couple of sets of captains rank (ground and air type not water). At least it would work until production of the roman numerals got geared up.

Greg

WyldOne

As an outsider/newbie, I should remind you that, especially when dealing with symbols, often times most people not involved with the issue won't understand.

So, if I saw a "II" on a bumpersticker or on someone's liscense plate....I wouldn't really know what it was.

Ditto for military insignia (although I'm not proud of my ignorance in that area).

Futo Inu

Outstanding idea

We need perhaps a "TFL Store", selling Molon Labe accessories and other things such as this, making it convenient for any TFLer or lurker to buy with a credit card online at our convenience. I missed the Molon Labe sale, and now I want some stuff. We could add clothing with slogans like that to the "store". Rich, mods - can we/should we do this???

jimpeel

I have a tee shirt that says it all:

"You learn gun safety from the NRA ..

You learn gun violence from NBC ...

Join the NRA"

Wayne LaPierre

I have never gotten an argument to the truth of that statement.

SpyGuy

I have a tee shirt that says it all:
"... Join the NRA"
Jim, I respect the NRA and its members. But I don't want this to become an NRA issue; I want this to be a grass-roots effort by all supporters of the RKBA. The problem with making this an NRA sponsored action is:

1) The media et al., has done a very effective job of demonizing the NRA for those outside the firearms community. It is very difficult to educate people about the Second Amendment and the benefits of the RKBA when you first have to fight the stigma of being associated with an unpopular (in the eyes of many of the general public) organization. Many people who see the NRA affiliation will consider you a wacko or an extremist and automatically "tune-out" your message, or worse, automatically adopt an opposing opinion. It would be like having cigarette company employees trying to educate the public about the pitfalls of nationalized health care.

2) Anytime you affiliate yourself with a particular organization (whether that organization is seen in a positive or negative light), you run the risk of people suspecting agendas and ulterior motives. That is why true grass-roots movements are so effective. The voice of the people is recognized as the voice of the people (rather than assumed to be the voice of the organization).

3) There are many within the firearms community that feel that the NRA has sold-out the Second Amendment. These RKBA supporters have a legitimate grievance against the NRA and I wouldn't want them excluded from this action.

The key to stopping the anti-gunners and reversing the decades of increasing gun gontrol, is to not just "show our colors" as NRA members or even simply as gun owners (although it would help if many more of us would take a stand), but rather to educate those who have been subject to a lifetime of propaganda and indoctrination against the RKBA. The best way to do that is to stimulate thought (not raw emotion) and engage people in a friendly (non-confrontational) conversation about the validity and strength of the Second Amendment.