I have always tried to do the right thing.

SaxonPig

I often read posts on various discussion forums where folks complain about buying or selling on the auction sites. I estimate that I have bought close to 100 guns on the two major sites and I never felt ripped off. Never had a seller screw me over. Had a buyer shaft me on feedback once, but I guess that happens.

Twice I bought rifles at the starting price that turned into some going back and forth. I was the only bidder for an H&R Trapdoor replica. I thought the starting price was about a fair deal and that's what I bid. Nobody raised me so I guess other shoppers agreed it was just about topped out.

The seller didn't see it that way and emailed me with long complaints about how cheaply it sold. If he was so anxious to get a higher price he should have started it higher. But it likely wouldn't have sold. After several whining emails I finally offered to let him out of the sale. I told him he could pay the seller's fee as if it sold and we'd call it quits. I didn't want him feeling cheated. But he said he wanted to go ahead and complete the transaction.

Still have it. Looks nice but that damn gun kicks like a mule.

The other one involved a new rifle offered by a large retail dealer with a starting price about 60% below retail. I think that was likely a little below wholesale but I am guessing. I was the only bidder and I actually felt guilty and offered to let him out of the deal as I didn't want him to lose money. He just laughed on the phone and assured me it was OK. He'd sold tens of thousands of guns on the auction site and if a few went cheaply he more than made it up on others.

Like I said, I try. Am I crazy?

WeedWacker

An item is only as valuable as the market allows. your cost/benefit as the buyer is going to be different than what a seller may want it to be. These guns sold cheaply because the market said demand at the time was low and what you offered was the best. Don't feel guilty about it. Often, as seen with the last example, the item isn't moving and the dealer needs to recoup some of his investment in the item so a sale is a sale. It means the dealer will have mroe space for an item more in demand with a higher profit margin. Each item is a gamble that the market will value the item at the same rate the seller wants.

Old Bill Dibble

Just be glad you are dealing with civilized people in the gun auction business. Don't ever get mixed up with the psychos in the real estate auction house business. Not bank auctions; but those crazy on line auction houses where they demand escrow money for bidding. They are all a bunch of scams. If you win they won't sell unless you pay thousands over whatever it was you bid.

lamarw

I have pretty much have always had pleasant business transactions with firearms and antique clock purchases. These sellers are normally good people displaying courtesy and maturity.

Skans

All of my firearms purchases over the internet have been perfect. I did bid on a Colt 1911 that was advertised as being manufactured in 1913. When I got the serial number after bidding/winning it turned out to be a 1918 manufactured gun. I wanted out because I was really looking for a 1913 (looking back, it was a darn good price for a nice 1918). The Seller let me out, no problem and apologized for not listing it correctly. All was good!

I have been surprised by the somewhat low price I end up paying for several firearms I bid on. There have also been guns I've purchased at what I thought was a "fair" price, which in short time turned out to be great deals. However, I can't recall a time that I got a price at WAY below what I thought it should sell for. Then again, I only buy 2-3 guns a year.

My latest "good deal" was an original American Derringer Pen Gun. The price I paid was anywhere from $200 - $400 less than what I've seen them sell for. I really didn't think I'd get this one - perhaps everyone who wanted a pen gun got theirs already. Yes, you'd be surprised at how these things are in demand!