I hate cleaning patches.

Lavid2002

It feels like whenever I run a cleaning patch down the bore, it just slides on down, leaving minimal oil, cleaning solvent, or friction to mop up dirt and debris....agrivvates me! Its like running a patch down a 12 gause, as compared to running one of thos3e bore-mops down, allot ore friction, really cleans the bore out. Does this bother anyone else?
What can I do?
I need one for .223 and .308
Does otis work well really snug cloth or what?
Thanks!
Dave

pesta2

It feels like whenever I run a cleaning patch down the bore, it just slides on down, leaving minimal oil, cleaning solvent, or friction to mop up dirt and debris....agrivvates me!

Do you use a jag or one of those loop patch holder things that don't work at all?

Lavid2002

I use both

The loopy thing REALLY aggrivates me, BUT it feels like tha jag doesnt do much either?
Anyone have any input on Otis? I hear good things....right now my setup is a boreguide, dewey coated 24" cleaning rod, and tipton cleaning tips, I have 2 different jags, a loop...whatever it is. I dont feel like its really cleaning that good. You know how thick and clothy those shotgun patches are. I wish they had rifle patches that size for my AR15. Whenever I cut them there too long and get stuck, or too short and dont clean thoroughly. Suggestions?

KMO

Dry brush down the barrel, followed by bore rope, then a patch with solvent (over a jag), followed by a patch with oil (jag too), followed by a dry patch. Works for me...

rgitzlaff

You need to use jags that are the correct size for your caliber, and patches that are the correct size. When you buy patches, they have a caliber range on the bag, go by that and you should be good. Trying to cut patches to size has always been agravating to me and only done as a last resort when I'm out of the right size.

Tom2

I use what they call "GI" cleaning patches. They are 100% cotton and work very well for me with a proper sized jag. Some places are selling "cleaning patches" in big bags that seem to be cut up seconds from the K Mart tee shirt and underwear dept, they are some kind of synthetic or synthetic blend and are really stretchy material. ANd they are not very absorbent and don't seem to clean as well. Try to avoid those. Get 100% cotton patches period.

Lavid2002

You need to use jags that are the correct size for your caliberQUOTE]
I do...but it still seems as though the patches aernt as grippy. Ill try some of the suggested patches : D
Otis anyone???
Lol Im about to buy another kit for my new rifle and if otis is good, Ill get it : D

Thanks fellas
Dave

Edward429451

Otis is a good kit, but you'll still have to mate jags with brand of patches / T shirts to get the snug fit your looking for. It's worth the hassle to figure out which jag/patches and then stock up.