I had a Kaboom...

Mylhouse

I've been putting off telling this to the forum, but I'm going to share my experience with all of you now.
A month ago, my wife and I were out plinking with our 9mm handguns. We were shooting the reloaded stuff that you can buy at gunshows. I don't know if the company is called "Miwall" or "Wholesale Ammo", but alot of you have probably seen them and I think they come from Cali. Anyway, we switched guns, so I could shoot my wife's Walther P99 9mm.
I was pretty intently blasting away at some bottles when on the 4th shot out of the mag, an awfully loud and strangely accentuated "BOOM!" was heard when I pulled the trigger. I felt a hot blast in my face that momentarily blinded me. When I refocused on the gun, the Walther looked intact and in battery. Smoke was pouring out from the gap between the frame and slide around the entire rear half of the pistol. I said, "What the F??!!", not realizing yet what just had occured.
I was pretty determined to blast that last bottle, and it was still standing, so I went ahead and blasted it and a couple of cans with the remaining rounds in the mag. The wheels in my head finally became unstuck and started turning. I searched the ground, and found the offending case. Sure enough, the brass had a hole in it with the brass peeled back toward the case mouth. It was about 6mm long and ran along the bottom of the main case wall, (sorry, I don't know all the terminology-don't reload yet) just before the beveled area that allows the extractor to grip the case.
Anyway, the pistol appeared unharmed, and has eaten about 500 rounds since then. At the last gun show, I took the failed case to show the folks that sold me the ammo. They apologized profusely, and told me that it was the first case failure they had heard of in 10 years with their ammo. They went on to say they had sophisticated machinery that reliably sorts out "bad" brass. They apologized again, said it was bad business and it won't happen again, and gave me a free box of ammo. I know, it sounds measly, but no harm, no foul, and I accepted liability when I bought the reloads in the first place.
Anyway, I just thought I'd share the experience with all of you. I didn't post this to prove I can be a major blockhead at times, I thought it might be of interest to Walther owners. It also goes to show that it CAN happen to 9mm handguns, and it doesn't only happen to Glocks.

P.S. I also learned that (A), that extra cost for the S & B doesn't seem like so much anymore, and (B), the lenses fogging up isn't a good excuse to take off your eye protection.

P.S.S. If this makes any difference, I was in the high Arizona country (6,500 ft elev, 82 degrees F) and the ammo was kept in the air conditioned car prior to shooting.

P.S.S.S. I guess it's pretty cool that the Walther never skipped a beat. After 1500 rounds, it has never had a failure. Well, at least not counting CASE failures. :)

denfoote

Mylhouse,

First, I am glad you were not hurt. This is why I do not buy ammo at the gun show. Second, I still would have a gunsmith look at the Walther. My gunsmith works out of Mandall Shooting Supplies in Scottsdale. His name is Ward, and he is top notch. I know that he is Glock certified. He may also be Walther certified too. Either way, I would have that gun examined ASAP. There might have been hidden damage done that you are not trained to notice, evil stuff, like micro cracks in the frame, or slide. Stuff that won't show up until much later, and ruin your day.

------------------
Yeah, I got a permit to carry,it's called the friggin Constitution.---Ted Nugent

"Glock 26: 17 rounds of concealed carry DEATH comming your way from out of nowhere!!! THAT'S FIREPOWER, BABY!!!"

C.R.Sam

Mylhouse; what Denfoote said. Take a couple of unblown cases with you, ones that were shot after the boomer.

Glad it came out so well.

Sam...my favorite 9mm is the 9X32R.

Mylhouse

Thanks, Dennis, that's a good idea. I'll do that. I guess it's pretty crappy of me that I haven't done that yet, seeing as to how it is my wife's carry gun!

Gunslinger

As stated above I'm happy to hear you are all right. As to the "sophistacated equipment" the only equipment I know of is a visual inspection of used brass prior to or during reloading.
I would say your experience is a testiment to the strength of the Walther and your good luck. I would not want to test the later too often. ;)

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!

WESHOOT2

Message (or lesson...): really cheap ammo is NOT SO CHEAP...

Bull-X, Cole Dist., Georgia Arms, CCI Blazer, Quality Cartridge, Black Hills, these are the brands or places to get 'inexpensive' ammo.

Really cheap ammo is just that, and you get what you pay for.

--------------------------------------------

"all my ammo is fabulously expensive factory ammo"

David Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WESHOOT2:
...Georgia Arms... these are the brands or places to get 'inexpensive' ammo.[/quote]

I'm glad you said that, since I bought 300 practice rounds of Georgia Arms 9mm hardball at a gun show. Fired off about 100 of them last weekend, had one misfire.

There's another gun show this weekend, know anything about their loads using Speer Gold Dot hollowpoints?

(Nice thing about Florida is that most weekends you're never more than about an hour's drive from a gun show.)

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, Mylhouse,

Glad you weren't hurt, and that you now will wear shooting glasses. But you should also take extra caution before shooting again when something abnormal happens. Had a bullet been stuck in the barrel or the gun been damaged, a subsequent shot could have ruined the gun or injured you.

You had a split case. This usually does no harm to either the gun or the shooter, it simply lets some gas back into the breech. In a P.38 or some of the other Walther derivatives, a split case or a pierced primer can blow off "der Deckel", the top cover plate on the slide, losing it, the rear sight, and the firing pin block spring.

But I would be willing to bet that the case was split BEFORE you loaded it. Cases that will split almost always show signs of the defect before they are fired. So cartridge inspection is not a bad idea. It is easy to roll a cartridge in the fingers when loading a magazine and give each cartridge a quick eyeball.

FYI, I normally do my own reloading. That way if something happens, I know the name of the idiot responsible.

Jim

BrokenArrow

I've never said kBs only happen in Glocks; seen em in other guns. Mostly case failures as described.

What I have seen/heard a lot about is _catastrophic_ kBs w _factory_ ammo in Glocks, mostly 40/45. The kind where the barrel/chamber splits and the frame/slide crack. Glocks overwhelming popularity accounts for some of this, but not all of it?

I don't worry about it, but if you were gonna give me a gazillion bucks if I could geta gun to kB w factory ammo, I know what I would reach for first. :)

------------------
>>>>---->
http://home.att.net/~brokenarrrow/

pete80

This is a good lesson! Only shoot quality ammuntion from respectable manufacturers. Reloads are usually crap (even your uncle Jim Bobs home grown') and stay the hell away from that Russian Wolf stuff.

Mylhouse

Thanks again for the feedback guys, and for not kicking a man when he's down (or at least feeling like a numbskull). Thank God it wasn't my wife shooting it at the time, and that more grave circumstances didn't come about. Great feedback, Jim, LOL.

Apple a Day

I'm right there with you, Mylhouse. I made the same mistake, bought some reloaded stuff at a gunshow from a guy that seemed legit, big time. They had a huge table with every caliber you could think of. I can't remember the name, though. They were in little white boxes with lots of data printed on the side as to the weight/manufaturer of the projectile, powder, case... everything seemed in order and professional.
When I went to the range that stuff was awful. Filthy, terrible accuracy, huge flash, inconsistent... never again, says I. I learned my lesson. Thankfully no kaboom.

------------------
Those who use arms well cultivate the Way and keep the rules.Thus they can govern in such a way as to prevail over the corrupt- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Mikul

A split case is unlikely to damage a good gun. Have it looked at, but don't sweat it.

Whenever something ununsual happens while you're shooting, it's good practice to field strip the gun and inspect it for damage. It only takes a minute, and is worth that time. You got lucky this time. It's a good thing to learn from.

The last thing you need to do is discover that a bullet is lodged in the barrel AFTER you fired the next shot.