I had a hoot shooting golfballs with my Marlin 39 yesterday

kcub

If you hit them just right, they fly even with just 22 LR, I was surprised. I thought it would take 22 mag minimum.

Mine was made in the 50's and has a long barrel. I'm not sure how long but it holds 18 long rifle.

My only complaint is the barrel marked for short, long, and long rifle but it jams on anything other than long rifle.

Guv

Never tried shorts in mine, last time I bought some (a while back) they were more than good 22lr. I do have a couple of box's in my ammo locker, I may try one today. I've been keeping them along with a couple of box's of longs for collectors sake. One day my son may want to try a few, I actually have an old Savage automatic that is supposed to feed short,long and long rifle.

T. O'Heir

Nothing like shooting stuff that, um, reacts.
"...jams on anything other than long rifle..." LR's are less expensive and easier to come by anyway. Midway, for example, lists 7 types of .22 Short. Every one is Out of Stock no Back Order or Temporarily Unavailable.

BrokenBottles

I love shooting golf balls, for some reason it's even more fun with a lever than any of my other guns.
22lr seems to be one of the better rounds for making them fly, they require a more precise hit to send them really far but if they fly too far you'll end up losing them lol. I actually need to buy more golf balls and tees now that I think about it.

Wishoot

Never thought of using golf balls. Great idea.

Unfortunately, I just gave up golfing and gave about 200 golf balls to a friend. Would of love to shoot those little bastages to pieces.

I hate golf.

4runnerman

Golf balls are great. Great thing is I live on a Golf course. Fairway 1 out the back, Tee box 2 out the front. Get about 4 to 6 a week. Put a wood screw in them, tie a string to it and hang them at 2 to 300 yards and shoot them with a 308 or 223. Great fun.

brasscollector

I work at a landscaping company. The mower guys are always coming back with bags of golf balls, soft balls, etc. I went "golfing" about 6 times last summer, great time. I also took one of those softballs and hung it by a wire. It soaked up 22lr, 17hmr, 38spec, 45auto all summer. :D

kcub

You can buy shag balls online pretty cheap from Amazon and others. No reason to pay for high grade.

RaySendero

Yea, I've shot golf balls - They are tough!
Got a pic of one with a 270 through it. Could still play a hole with it.
If we could play golf with rifle would be a lot more fun!
:D :D :D

m_liebst

Neon golf ball shoot

Up at my property when there's barely a breeze I set the bright neon green golf balls out hanging on a 20lb. test line from low branches, after hammering nails into each ball. 130 yards lazer ranged, on a bench with a bolt action .22lr with a sweet single stage trigger/ 12 power scope/ front & rear rest/ Wolf Match Extra target grade ammo/ and a bottle of IPA: And you've got grins from ear to ear. My longest run was 4 hits in a row at 130 y.. Just a slight breeze though... then game over.

Subsonic .22lr ammo will make a complete pass through on golf balls up to 200 yards.

Ask me how I know.....:D

RaySendero

4980Target_270_300yd_GolfBall_102905.jpg

Yea - Some yrs ago I was messing with a friend of mine that was bragging on his new driver consistently hitting golf balls 300yds.

I set that golf ball and sight-in target out at 300yds. Took some sighter shots (when wrong way on scope once, but finally got that shot 1/4" near the 10 at 5pm). Hit golf ball very next shot about the same 5pm orientation. Notice how small the entrance hole closed back up. It also split the ball all way around to the back exit. Gave him the ball to try with his new driver.

Last edited: