I guess it's time to clean it...

InigoMontoya

Yeah, I just thought I'd pop in to horrify some of you.

I live in a rather arid environment. Over the years, I have realized that the whole "clean the gun to prevent rust" thing is way overblown for us desert dwellers. As a result... Well, I generally don't clean/oil a gun until it starts to malfunction ('cause rust simply doesn't happen...ever!).

So yesterday I was plinking with my 10/22 and it was having occasional feed issues. OK, so it's time to clean it.

I got thinking about it and I realized that the LAST time I cleaned that particular gun I was a senior in high school.

My son is a freshman.

:D

JerryM

Good idea to clean only when you get malfunctions. Hope you don't do your SD gun that way. Maybe you can tell the BG "KingsX" wait until I clean the gun.

I also live in the desert, but clean my guns each time I fire them, including my .22s.

To each his own.

Jerry

Mobuck

My carry gun is a Ruger KP95 stainless/synthetic and I don't normally clean it more than once or twice per year. Since a 10/22 isn't usually considered a SD gun, I can see not cleaning it until it malfunctions but 10-15 years might be a little over the top. My on the farm chore gun is a Ruger stainless 22/45 that gets carried in all types of weather and dragged through whatever I'm messing with. It doesn't get or need much cleaning and is virtually foolproof.

hardworker

I'm not very particular about cleaning guns either. My 10/22 had a case blow up in the chamber last winter. It's been in the closet ever since. I clean my shotgun once ever 5 years maybe. I have never cleaned my marlin 22 mag. Or my slug gun. Pistols get cleaned more out of boredom than out of necessity.

jhenry

I have several that do not get cleaned each and every time I shoot them, but I do maintain all of my guns properly. The serious ones are clean and ready to go at all times. It would never even occur to me to let one go to the point of malfunction.

cornbush

It happens, I try to get all my guns to that point atleast once, I want to know what they can take................

medalguy

Yeah living in the desert does have its advantages. After shooting corrosive in my AK, I can wait a day or two to clean the rifle if necessary. No rust in 5% humidity.:p

Stressfire

Wow, makes me feel OCD, I clean after every time any are shot.

Granted, all I end up scrubbing off is carbon, bit still...