I got my second wheel gun. It's a doozy.

LockedBreech

Well, all, my first revolver was a Colt Detective Special, a 2nd-gen 1968 in .38 Special. Looks like my second is a pony as well.

I graduated law school recently, and my father presented me with a 4" blued Colt Python .357, which my late grandfather carried as a police officer in Los Angeles.

Best of all? It has lived the life of a duty gun, then a training gun for my dad. It has about 8,000-10,000 rounds through it. Meaning I can actually shoot the thing. I have it loaded with 125-grain Speer Gold Dots on the nightstand.

Having some trouble with Imageshack, but I'll get a pic up ASAP.

JimmyR

You know, I have to say that if I had to pick between a gun that had family history, given to me on a memorable occasion, I wouldn't care if it was a jennings or a hi point, I'd keep it over a Python.

The fact that yours is a Python makes me even more jealous. Treasure it well. You have a gun that has seen two generations of use, and now it's your reponsibility to pass on it's legacy, and add to it's future.

Enjoy.

SaxonPig

Congratulations. My wife is an attorney (still trying to cope with the notion).

I didn't realize the LAPD ever authorized 357 Magnums for duty. Was ammo restricted to 38 Special?

Even with substantial wear any Python is a valuable revolver. The family connection makes valuable beyond money. I'd give anything to have one of my dad's guns but I was 2 when he died and mom sold them so we could eat.

LockedBreech

JimmyR, I couldn't agree more, and I'll do my best to be worth it.

Saxon, I think he was actually a UCLA police officer and/or one of the outlying LA sub-communities, not with LAPD itself.

dgludwig

One of my daughters is an attorney-don't know where I went wrong. ;) But you've got a real piece of family history. Treat it with the respect it deserves but shoot it without worry. That's what guns are made for and I'm sure your grandfather would approve.

KTKT70

Congrats. We got one that same way. It was my wife's grandfathers gun and we found it in the rafters after he passed away. We were so lucky to find it. Seems to not have much wear at all and shoots real good. The range guys asked to buy it the first time we took it in but there is no way it will ever leave our family. Congrats again. Have fun with that bad boy. Did yours have the original wood grips? Ours has a small crack but other than that looks great. I really like the gold colt logos.

LockedBreech

Here we go.

7adeja7e.jpg

majy7e2u.jpg

dyzuda7a.jpg

ujuzu3u6.jpg

y2e6uru8.jpg

py6agy7u.jpg

Colt46

Serious piece of family history there.

Looks lie quite the shooter. Colt's have really become(even more) collect able recently.

mrray13

I spy 2nd gen grips. Have you dated it yet? Definitely a keeper, from the family history, to the fact it's a 4" Python! My shooter Python is als a 4", from 1974 IIRC, and I even carry it on duty every so often, ie; when I have to go to court, lol.

357 Python

Nice looking 2nd generation Python. The only bad thing I saw was a slightly messed up screw cap that holds the cylinder and crane assembly on the gun. You may be able to find that part relatively easy, check Numrich Arms. A fine family heirloom that has done its duty protecting and defending life is a Python to be proud of. Take care of it and pass it on to one of your kids one day.