I got my CX4!

chris in va

Finally.

I've been looking at these for ten years and after the HiPoint debacle, decided it was time for a Beretta. It was on 'sale' and uses the 15rd 92 mags.

I haven't fired it yet so I'm just sitting here taking it apart and thought I would give first impressions.

It's light. I was wavering over the 45 or 9mm model but watching countless videos paying attention to recoil, I opted for the 9mm because...

1) Less recoil
2) Higher capacity mags
3) Mags are easy to find
4) Velocity is gained more vs 45
5) Double the shots for the same amount of lead cast

The trigger. Sure it feels spongy and stiff. But I have to say, and Glock owners will flame, but it feels almost exactly like a stiffer Glock trigger pull (and yes i had one). Mushy takeup, firm resistance then abrupt let off. Reset is really short unlike my AR. I'm sure that Sierra Papa kit would be a vast improvement but honestly it isn't as bad as described. I don't really feel like its gritty, just firm. Of course having plastic fire control parts is a bit disconcerting but apparently they work.

The two 15rd mags are rather rough compared to the MecGars on my CZ. The follower has a ton of stiction and the exterior has a matte finish, not glossy. They sit below flush so I'll need to look at 17 rounders at some point.

The retractable front rail isn't as flimsy as described. Sure it moves a bit but would be perfect for a small light.

This gun isn't 'plastic', but fiber reinforced polymer. It's the same stuff you see at the gas station when you hang up the pump, and in my experience is absurdly durable and stiff. I'm very happy about this.

The stock sights are pretty cool if you are into peeps. The front post is the adjustable one, up/down/left/right. They both flip down for optics use.

I really like how this thing comes apart. One 'pin' and the whole thing is out. NICE. Everything is reversible as well but the mag and safety need "gunsmith" removal per the book.

There's more but I'd just be going into the regular features most people already know. I'll try to shoot it here in a couple days to give more feedback.

Last edited:

ndking1126

Cool! I'm in the same boat as you.. been thinking about buying one for years, but just never have. At one point I went in to my LGS to buy a Hi-Point version, but we couldn't come to an acceptable deal so I walked out empty handed. Hope you like it!

mellow_c

Congrats!

Thanks for the review.

Was pretty close to picking one up in .45 but I cant stand the idea that they only accept mags with 8 rounds (Or is it 9, or 10?). If 15 round mags were available I'd go for it.

I'd get one in 9mm, but I've got a nice little Kel Tech sub2000 that's working real well. Initially I had lots of stove pipes with it, but I sent it back to kel Tech and they polished a few things up and got it working for me. I replaced the front sight on it with a metal one, and now I'm incredibly happy with it. It's a real fun little carbine.

I've handled a CX4 storm in 9mm at a gun store. They let me dry fire it, and I remember the trigger being pretty good, similar to how you described... maybe even a bit better if I recall. I also felt like the gun was very practical, handy, and solid. I remember years ago I was lead to believe they were "stupid" guns because they looked so "dumb", but after reading all the reviews and handling one myself, I've really warmed up to them. Now I actually like the way they look.

*Sigh* if ONLY there were mags for the .45 that would hold a few more rounds. What a fun time that would be!

Enjoy your new toy! I'm sure you'll love it!

Ozzieman

I have had mine since they first came out and the trigger will get better. Mine was a little gritty but smoothed out after a couple of hundred rounds.
One piece of advice. If you shoot reloads keep them in the upper range. Light loads will not eject the empty far enough and it will hang on the port damaging the lip of the port and make a gouge. This doesn’t hurt the gun but will mar it. It is replaceable.
I’ve had an aimpoint on it for years but recently put a Trijicon 1X42 reflex but haven’t shot it yet.
I will add one other thing, take a lot of ammo with you when you take her out.
These things are more fun than a barrel,,, never mind. I would take a couple of hundred rounds minimum. And a warning, your face is going to be hurting from the smiling.
P.S. I like the new fore grip of the gun. Texture is much better on yours. Held one a week ago and wish mine had the checkering.

Fishbed77

Very nice. Now that CX4s now seem down to a more realistic ~$650 price range, I'm going to have to really start looking at them.

Like you, I agree that the 9mm 92 mag version is the way to go.

chris in va

Was pretty close to picking one up in .45 but I can't stand the idea that they only accept mags with 8 rounds (Or is it 9, or 10?). If 15 round mags were available I'd go for it.

Sierra Papa makes a conversion kit to increase capacity to 15, but holy cow is it expensive. I just didn't feel like paying an additional $200 for a few extra rounds, despite 45 being my favorite caliber.

P.S. I like the new fore grip of the gun. Texture is much better on yours. Held one a week ago and wish mine had the checkering.

Yeah I noticed that. Definitely an improvement over the one I held a few years ago.

marine6680

Sweet!

I hope you have plenty of ammo... You will need it. :D

I can find it, but prices are higher than I like right now.

Adventurer 2

I picked up the 45 version this year. 8 round mags ( I thought it took PX-45 10 rounders). I wish I had grabbed the 9 mm version - cause I have double digit 92 f mags. I like the CX Storm. Trying to figure out what red dot I want on it. I own a high point 995 that is functionally as good as the CX-4 but it just isn't as sexy. I think the only people that really enjoy the CX Storms are the owners. Compact and so point able. Get a couple 30 rounders (feel sorry for the 45 owners) and enjoy your Storm.

chris in va

I had a chance to shoot it today using LRN.

Not one bobble, about 200 rounds. I sighted the red dot to co witness with the iron sights and it was dead on at 50 yards. It gained about 100fps out of the longer barrel tested over my ProChrono.

How fun is this thing. So glad I got the 9mm, 8 rounds of 45 would be over too quick. The trigger really isn't that bad to be honest, just take up the slack and press a bit further to release the sear. Like I said its like a longer, firmer Glock trigger.

It feels similar to the HiPoint I had but don't have to worry about parts snapping off (like mine did). I may do some accuracy bench rest testing tomorrow.

Ozzieman

Using an aimpoint and the 120 GR TCBB from Penn I was able to hold sub 5 inch groups at 100 yards but the time from the bang to the smack did take a while.
It is the best bullet I have found for the gun. I used W231 and the upper end load. I had the same using unique.
Soon as it warms up I have some loaded with slower powder.

http://www.pennbullets.com/9mm/9mm-caliber.html

9x19

Mounting point for forward side rails.

BCX4paM3.jpg

chris in va

Ill have to try some accuracy testing with my LRN but at 50 yards as there's no way I can even see a target at 100. I was having too much fun knocking down steels today.

I let a friend try it, he wants one now.:cool:

sawdoff

Used to have one of the 45s but sold it when it was just a range toy. Kinda wish i still had her just for an IT factor. Congrats and have fun with her.

Ozzieman

What is the slit in the stock below the front sight?

It’s also great for a rail for a flashlight.
When it’s on the right side of the gun with the flashlight I put on it the button for the light is in the perfect location for the thumb of the left hand.
You can’t see it in any of the photos but at the front of the for grip directly under the barrel there is another rail that can be pulled out of the stock about 2 inches long for another accessory. I have never used it because it seems a little weak for mounting and it would be easy to hit with a flash light mounted on it.
My top rail did not come with the gun and had to be purchased from Beretta. The side rail in the photos cost something like 20$ and came with screws.

Last edited: