I got me a Marlin 336... And GUILT!

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I traded a Lorcin .380 for a Marlin .30-30 and Maverick 88. I know both guns well (don't ask how) and they are top notch. I think I got the better deal. I tried to say NO but couldn't convince the fella he didn't need the pistol.
Now how to deal with this guilt? OH YEAH.... gotta buy ammo and shoot the guilt out of my system!;)
Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Okay so is it a 336 or 336 AorC?

I went reading tons of info on this rifle following posting this thread. I would like to know what it is exactly model wise.
It simply says Model 336 on barrel. No letter. The serial number is 8 digits in length. 2 barrel bands. Fore stock is smaller from band to tip. Rear stock has a white accent than black plastic butt cap. the "lump" (don't know the name) that would be the end of a pitol grip is white accent under black plastic also held in place with a brass screw.It also has a swivel mount "plug"of white and black as well. It has a gold trigger and the lever is slightly curved.
Thanks, Brent

2sigs

I see that you are not able to sleep since making the trade :rolleyes:

You did a bad thing to the new lorcin owner, illegal in some locals

Marlin owners dot com or something would be the place to learn that and Good trade there I might add however it would concern me if they were not being looked for :confused:

-2sigs

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
2sigs, The lorcin is a legal firearm in Florida. I drove this guy 2 years ago to walmart to buy the Mav 88, and than a year or so ago I took him to a gun shop to buy the used Marlin. I know they ain't hot and the guy just had to have a "pistol" and liked the looks of the barely used Lorcin (hard to wear out a pistol that jams all the time):rolleyes:
I also know for a fact the guy ain't no "gangsta thug".... I guess some folks have to learn their lessons the hard way?
I am gonna spend some money on ammo and shake the guilt out starting at my shoulder.
I did look at some marlin sites last night but found no info on any with just a 336 without suffix letter.
Brent

2sigs

Well glad to hear that and WOW you scored man!!

I think there is a marlin owners group or something like that as I said, I'll look and see if I can find it and edit this post if I can. I have a couple marlins a 336 35Rem. and a 1894 44mag so I have done a bit of looking myself.

Enjoy them and and again Great score
-2sigs

OH and 1 very important thing

The Bullseye in the stock which you called a plug is NOT a plug but a item which is usually mistaken as one and removed discarded. If you remove it I'll give ya $10.00 for it! Leave it in there

From Marlins website

12. What is the small round black and white dot on the bottom of my Marlin stock?

This is the Marlin "Bullseye". This trademark has been used since 1922 on all Marlin walnut buttstocks. Please note that this is not a suitable place to install a swivel for you firearm. Swivels should be mounted approximately 2 inches from the toe of the butt.

336 club
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=258000

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Thanks for the help guys...
Maverick, according to a date code cypher, it seems this super tight and good shooting rifle was made in 1975. I sisghted the scope initially for the guy when he bought it and I have 30/40 or so rounds thru it over a year.
Thanks also for pointing out that the "plug" is a trade mark thing. NOPE I will not pull it than! As you stated it was installed on "all walnut stocks since..." does this signify 336c (real walnut wood)?
Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
:D:D:D:D:D
NOPE... Just really wanted a pistol really, really, reallllllllyyyyy BAD... No cash to buy one. I tried to say no... REALLY I DID. But some folks just can't take NO for an answer...;) I coulda got more I think but didn't want to leave him UNARMED (WE ALL KNOW A LORCIN JAM-A-MATIC CAN'T CONSTITUTE "ARMED")...
I think I did okay in the deal! I may even have the Marlin re-blued. It ain't bad at all especially considering it is 33 years old...
Brent