I found something interresting.

Steve Smith

Those prices are probably pretty accurate. I know from personal experience that the gov't tries to get very good deals on everything. The outlandish prices that we all heard about for hammers and toilet seats were bunk, IMHO. Any contractor worth a damn works his butt off getting good deals for his customer, the gov't. Finding deals is part of the job.

Goet

$5000 toilet seats and $300 screwdrivers aren't mistakes.

It's called robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Call it a Slush Fund.;)

UnknownSailor

Here's another list, with current FEDLOG prices. These are US Navy prices.

Remington Model 700 based sniper rifle - $2480.00

M-14 - $138.00

M-60 Machine Gun - $5684.00

S&W Mod 19 .357 - $310.00

M9 Beretta 9mm - $479.00

M11 Sig P226 9mm - $385.00

M16A3 - $400.00

High Standard .22 - $66.00

Grade A Match Grade .45 1911 - $862.00

M79 40mm grenade launcher - $720.00

Mossberg Mod 500 20" barrell 12ga - $250.00

C.R.Sam

Pricy terlet seats and other strange things usually part of an already let contract that has built in cost increase provisions.

Many other items are obtained by promulgating a solicitation for bid. Contracter that is interested obtains the specs and bids for the job. Low bidder gets the contract. Low bidder is not always the lowest cost per item. Bidders get preference points based on race, sex, handicap etc.

A contracter that is a small business operated by a disabled female member of a minority race may bid higher but when the preference points are factored in, the bid is lowest.

Sam

KenPaul

Let’s not forget that the government writes multi-inch thick MILSPEC documents to test everything from hearing protectors, coffee pots, toilet seats, hammers, etc. Companies that contract services to the government, specifically the military, are required to meet the requirements of these docs in order to win and retain the contract. And there are many companies that will constantly be trying to take the contract away from you. They will instantly point out any failures to meet the requirements of the contract…

How can you blame a company that charges $300.00 for a hammer when it costs them close to that amount just to deliver it to the client according to their contract? The only way a company can comply with these conditions is to subcontract or hire engineers to first come up with a testing methodology that complies with the requirements, and then they have to perform the tests to certify its compliance. Engineers are expensive, and rightly so.

Who, in their right mind, would bid for a gvmt contract for hammers quoting $300.00 per copy unless they had no other choice? The only way the hammer can be produced under the requirements set forth in the specs is at great expense to the manufacturer.

Drop tests on the hammer to ensure it will not be significantly damaged, minimum strength requirements for the handle of the hammer. Crash tests for coffee pots and toilet seats to ensure the retaining mechanisms won’t fail under high-g loads. Minimum tensile strength and flexing requirements for the metal head bands used in hearing protectors…

The list goes on and on.

And let’s not even mention the testing requirements for getting a cert for use in space…

I am not saying that abuses don’t occur, for they most certainly do, but the blame lies mainly in the overly, shall we say, ambitious way that the gvmt defines its requirements for items that do not need such rigorous attention to detail. After all, a hammer is a hammer. A thing to hit other things – no rocket science there…

Ken

adept

not to mention that when the government contracts for an item to be made to their specification, they also specify the EXACT number that is to be made and any deviation from that causes loss of contract.

Adept

yankytrash

I once took a chance and bid a small addition to a Department of Transportation office addition.

Received 2 books of specs about 700+- pages thick each, written for this specific addition, which was only 12'x18'. I went through the books, page by page, and found specs on the types of screws to be used in door hinges (including metallurgy specs), types of nails to be used to fasten furring strips, what type of insulation had to be on the wiring, and even what model number of light bulbs had to be used. Concrete had to be poured to bridge-building specs (5000psi+), backfill had to be tamped ever 6" of loose, and the list goes on and on...

I figured out my regular price, and tripled it. I was the low bidder. $5000 toilet seats are a bargain, when dealing in government work.

Futo Inu

berettaman - bwaahahaha :) Hey, someone posted on TFL awhile back that the cost of Glock 18s to LEOAs is about $450. Damnation, man. I'm thinking that what we need to do as TFLers is create our own city somewhere, kinda like the one in Utah, then utilize the state municipality laws to vote ourselves into an independent municipality. Elect Rich the police chief. Rich then deputized every town member who wants to be a deputy, and commences to order kewl stuff on police chief letterhead. :D Don't see why it wouldn't be possible and perfectly legal. Monday could be MP5-shoot day; Tuesday could be M60 day....etc.

foghornl

Just a small note from my experiences in consumer electronics about 1976 or so...

A local school needed to buy 2 reasonable quality microphones to replace 2 that got wet. The "spec sheet" was 4 pages long. One of the school board buying committee members was retired GS, somewhere in Gov't purchasing. Last entry in the spec sheet stated "Model nomenclature must contain 635 or 635A".

Why didn't he just say he wanted to buy 2 of the Electro-Voice brand current model 635 microphones?

Correia

Anybody remember when the FBI ordered the Les Baer 1911s for the HRT?

IIRC it was 90 pages describing a double stack 1911. :)