I found one!!!!! A Ruger Redhawk in 45 colt.

TennJed

Stopped by my local shop today and they had a Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt with a 5 1/2 in barrel. This gun has been on the top of my wish list for a while. I have not seen one in person before. It looks to be in excellant shape. Lockup is tight. I did not need or plan to buy a gun today, but I had to put it on layaway. $535 after tax. I am having to sell a couple of other guns to justify this, but couldn't pass it up.

I am selling my beloved Blackhawk 45lc/45acp and Single six :( I hate to but it is worth it

question for anyone that owns the Redhawk, what grips do you use? It has the smaller factory wood, which I think look the best, but I did not like the feel of them on my Security Six. I love the larger wood factory target grips that I put on my Security Six. Does anyone know if those were ever made for the Redhawk?

Last edited:

Pvt. Pyle

I had a set of wood grips on my 4 inch. It really looked sharp and didnt shoot too bad either. Surprisingly felt pretty good shooting. I also had a hogue grip like the one they put on the GP100. It was really good shooting. I used it for target shooting and hunting as it was a bigger grip and I could steady the gun better.

stevelyn

I have a 4" with the Ruger factory supplied Hogue grips. They're a little wide for my hand and the finger grooves are a little too pronounced for my tastes. I'm going to replace them with another set of Hogues that are slimmer and have more of a reverse taper.

drail

While the Hogue grips for the Ruger are pretty ugly they work better than anything else I have tried.

Pointshoot

Yep, it all comes down to individual hand size and personal taste.

I have 4"Redhawks in 45 Colt and in 44 Mag and expected to change out the rubber grips that came with the guns, but actually find them very comfortable. I also thought that, being Hogue type rubber, they might hang up too much on a shirt. But, this hasnt been a problem for me. Theyre much better in that regard than the Hogues I had on S&W N-frames that often hang up. On the latter, I've switched out to wood grips or the smooth Pachmyr Compacs.

DAnjet500

I had these;

Redhawk003.jpg

And replaced them with these;

BigThree010.jpg

I found the rubber grips much more pleasant to shoot with. However, it is a royal PITA to remove the rubber grips.

hornetguy

On each of my Redhawks (years ago) I kept the standard factory grips on them. They felt the best to me... very comfortable to shoot. I have large (not huge) hands, but relatively short fingers, and these grips just felt great to me.

Plus they are easily the best looking.... see picture above ^ :D

DunRanull

Wish I could pick up your Blackhawk! (sold it yet?)
My Redhawk in in the .44mag, 5.5 inch. Ive tried Pachmeyers and Hogue (i believe they were) and much prefer the wood original grips which are what Ive used for some years. The woods "slip" in the hand during recoil and do not gouge the palm with rubber-burn or cheese-grate. If you need a larger grip, someone must make a wood oversize grip for the Redhawk.

Last edited:

TennJed

Wish I could pick up your Blackhawk! (sold it yet?)
My Redhawk in in the .44mag, 5.5 inch. Ive tried Pachmeyers and Hogue (i believe they were) and much prefer the wood original grips which are what Ive used for some years. The woods "slip" in the hand during recoil and do not gouge the palm with rubber-burn or cheese-grate. If you need a larger grip, someone must make a wood oversize grip for the Redhawk.

Sorry I sold the Blackhawk last night. Picked up the Redhawk this morning. :)

skidder

I agree that the wood grips look the best, but they do get slippery on a hot summer days. I change mine for the conditions. I use the rubber grips for hot summer days and the wood the rest of the time. These Butler Creek grips fit my hand like a glove. The back strap is covered for padded recoil and they take about 20 seconds to change out (one screw). I've tried all the rubber grips and these are the cat's meow.

Redhawk.jpg

Redhawk2.jpg

EdInk

+1 on the Butler Creek (rebadged Uncle Mike's) grips!

I have a .44mag Redhawk. The factory wood grips were beautiful but not comfortable for the recoil. (You'd probably be fine with .45LC recoil though.) However, they will still be slippery with sweaty hands. If you don't need rubber for recoil get a pair from Altamont that are the same style but nicely checkered.

I tried both of the Hogue options and they both felt crappy. Neither covered the backstrap which is what you need for recoil. The Monogrip was too skinny amd the Bantam was too stubby.

Pachmyr Decelerators were good for absorbing recoil but fit TERRIBLE on the frame. (Tried 2 pair and BOTH had between 2-4mm gap between the front seams.) So, you would get a pinch with every shot fired.

I recommend the Butler Creek grips as well. Numrich will carry new old-stock periodically. That is the best way to go.

TennJed

As promised pics. Second picture shows the Redhawk with what appears to be to mouse guns next to a hand cannon, but they are actually my Security Six and SP101

This Redhawk is big and beautiful.

7842625046_01de527cae_z.jpg

7842627024_4b9488c856_z.jpg

skidder

Nice 45 Redhawk. Those mouse guns are no slouches either. I have a similar lineup, but with a 44 Redhawk.

How do the factory grips fit your hand?

TennJed

Nice 45 Redhawk. Those mouse guns are no slouches either. I have a similar lineup, but with a 44 Redhawk.

How do the factory grips fit your hand?

The factory grips actually feel really good in my hand. The fact that it is a good bit larger than the security six makes a world of difference.

When I first saw it and put it on layaway I did not pay the grip feel much attention. I knew that was a quick change. But these are really nice