I found one, a real Whitney....

woad_yurt

I walked into the gun store to arrange shipping for another gun and saw it in the case. I bought it before I touched it. It's an early one, too, before they had to drop the "Wolverine" from the right side. Thank you for giving me the oppurtunity to gush.

I shot it for the first time today. It jammed 3 times and then went perfectly for an hour. It's a got a great trigger and it's so easy to hit the target. Best pointing pistol I've ever used.

Whitney_Wolverine_02.jpg

Whitney_Wolverine_01.jpg

jdc48160

Looks like the Beretta Neos.

What exactly is so spectacular about this gun? I've never heard of it before, or seen it.

Can someone enlighten me on this gun?

woad_yurt

It's a Whitney Wolverine, 10 rounds of .22LR. They first went on sale in 1956 for $39.95. Lyman sued them over their use of the "Wolverine" name so they started calling it the "Lightning." Early on, they had to stop putting "Wolverine" on the gun. From what I've read, few early ones had the name on them. I got lucky.

It's a real nice shooting .22.

Oh yeah, the grips are made of the most beautiful dirt-colored plastic in the world.

SouthpawShootr

Why on earth would Olympic Arms take a classic design, reintroduce it (never mind the polymer abomination of the design), then put that ridiculous sight rib on it? :eek:

The original looks much, much better. I've seen one of the OlyArms new ones. I think this sight rib must be something they added recently. I don't know anybody that has one of the new ones (or old ones for that matter).

The OP is the first one of the originals I've ever seen.

SilentHitz

VERY nice find there!! Hang on to that one.:) I got to shoot one as a kid, one of my Dad's hunting buddies had one, and it was sweeeet! Enjoy your new found treasure.:cool:

Cliff47

The pistol was ahead of its time with the Buck Rogerish lines and all. The ones being made by Olympic Arms seem like a lightweight reincarnation of the original. I have seen a few originals at local gun shows that were priced like they were made from unobtanium.