I found an orphan that needed a home today,

taylorce1

I'm just trying to figure if I'm fostering or adopting right now.

Rem Mod 700
.35 Whelen
B&C Stock

P1000395.jpg

P1000396.jpg

P1000397.jpg

P1000399.jpg

P1000400.jpg

P1000406.jpg

I've already got a rifle in this chambering and don't know if I need another. She weighs 7.07 lbs according to my fish scale as you see it so loaded and with a scope should be slightly over 8 lbs. She could use a good bedding job into that stock. I just couldn't stand to see this rifle sit in the consignment corner anymore.

Gehrhard

Hopefully u got it for a good price (com'on, share). And you already had that chambering? Sounds like it is home for the holidays.

.35 Whelan indeed!

Happy New Year

PawPaw

Well done, sir. I often bring home orphan rifles and this one looks like a nice one. As a matter of fact, I picked up one myself today.

Ruger77%2012.jpg

A Ruger Model 77, tang safety, in .25-06. The Ruger Serial number pages show that this particular rifle was made in 1971, the same year I graduated from high school.

Last edited:

taylorce1

Nice .25-06, I'm sure she'll shoot.

As far as the price I got mine for I don't like to kiss and tell. There was some wiggle room on the rifle it was a consignment. It was cheaper than any I've found on the auction sights lately.

PawPaw

taylorce1 said:
As far as the price I got mine for I don't like to kiss and tell.

I agree. I've been dealing with one dealer for about 10 years and we have a very amicable business relationship. The price on the tag doesn't necessarily reflect what my price might be. Let's just say that I recently browsed those rifles on Gunbroker, and I got mine for a very attractive price. The dealer is happy, I'm happy, it's a very amicable relationship.

csmsss

Not sure why anyone would care what you paid for the rifle. Hopefully it's a shooter. As for the caliber, well, .35 Whelen is sadly underappreciated as far as I'm concerned. It hits hard and will easily put down anything in the lower 49 states, and if you do your job and are the courageous sort, anything in Alaska too.

It's not a 1,000 meter cartridge, and there are tons of flatter-shooting cartridges out there too. But when it comes to putting things down for good, the .35 Whelen is an excellent choice.

taylorce1

Not sure why anyone would care what you paid for the rifle.

I kind of stated I might not keep it, that is probably why the question about the price. I'll scope it and shoot it, if it shoots well I'll probably keep it. If I decide to sell it, the price will be fair for whoever wants to buy it.

csmsss

Taylor, it's interesting that your rifle has express sights on it. Do you think they're original to the rifle? Might be worth seeing how well regulated they are to point of aim.

hooligan1

Taylor, do something interesting with it, like kill some hogs or an elk, or a big ole bear with that sucker,,,,,,,, or just send it to me....:D;):p:eek:
that action would be a great donor for my next project.;)

taylorce1

I don't find the Whelen all that odd just a necked up .30-06 I've have or had far more odd cartridges than that. I've got a 6.5-06, 8mm-06, .338-06 and 6X47mm currently, and have owned a .280 GNR, .375 JDJ, and .223 AI. I'd like to try several other as well, as long as a guy is willing to reload there really isn't really anything that odd, unless you have to have custom bullets and brass made.

PawPaw

The .35 Whelen was designed as a wildcat from the parent .30-06 case by Col Townsend Whelen in 1922. He had gunsmith James V Howe, later of Griffin and Howe build the reamers, reloading dies, and assorted paraphernalia. Remington adopted it as a standardized cartridge in 1987, although it had been a very successful wildcat before standardization. Many consider the .35 Whelen to be suitable for any game (including the big bears) on the North American continent.

You've got a fine looking rifle, taylorce1. My only question is which scope might you mount on it?

taylorce1

You've got a fine looking rifle, taylorce1. My only question is which scope might you mount on it?

I think a 1.75-6 VX3 is about perfect for the Whelen and it is what my other one wears but a VXIII model. Right now I'll probably put a 3.5-10 VXIII on that I have laying around. It is a little more scope than the Whelen needs but it saves me from having to purchase a new scope right away.

jrothWA

What hurt the .35 Whelen was not made into ..

a commercial round.

Was developed back in late 20's, (Howe even devised a .400 Whelen, all based on the 06 case), but never made commercially.

Have a M70 i .308 and though about a nre Douglas barrel in .35 whelan , but need to locate a 30-06 mag box and bolt stop for my action.

taylorce1

Have a M70 i .308 and though about a nre Douglas barrel in .35 whelan , but need to locate a 30-06 mag box and bolt stop for my action.

Seems like a lot of work for a gunsmith, when you can find another action to build off of. I'd just trade your .308 off for another M70 action. Or I'd just keep it the way it is and build a .358 Win, which has plenty of thump for most game.

taylorce1

Here is my other Whelen.

Picture004.jpg

Picture016.jpg

pix2033028156.jpg

I have a buddy who will be building a .400 Whelen he is acquiring the parts. It will probably be done in the style of an old G&H on a 1903 action.