I Found A Colt 1911 22

AzShooter

A few years ago my son called me and told me he wanted to get a new .45 style gun in .22. He found a GSG 1911 22 and was really telling me all the great detail of it. I found one locally, liked it and bought it. I did a lot of upgrades and really enjoyed shooting it. He wasn't as lucky in finding one.

Christmas came around and I gave him the gun. He really enjoys it. Only problem is I thought I'd be able to buy a replacement. I've been looking for 3 years and no one seems to have any in stock. Sportsman's Warehouse advertises them but are always out of stock.

A couple of weeks ago I saw that SW had a Colt 1911 22 made by Walther. I like my Walther P22 so I read up and watched every video on the Colt. Everything sounds good and it is supposed to have less problems then the GSG with a wider variety of ammo. The GSG works best with HV ammo while the Colt will function with target grade.

I posted for SW to let me know when they had one in stock. They didn't have the Gold Cup, which I really wanted, but let me know that they had a Government Model in one of the stores in state and could have it shipped to my local store in a week. I grabbed it. It will be delivered Tuesday which is great because my range day is Wednesday.

Does anyone have any experience with this weapon? Do you like it?

I'm thinking of using it for Rimfire Pistol Iron at our local Steel Challenge Matches. I already bought 4 more magazines so that I will have enough.

shooter1911

A shooting buddy of mine, and I both bought Colt Walther 22 rail guns from Sportsman's Super Store a while back. I bought the rail gun because the accessories were the closest match to my Series 70, that I used as a base for modification, except for the rail. I replaced the trigger with a short trigger and the safety with a standard colt safety. The gun has been extremely reliable using CCI Mini Mags and Winchester high speed ammo. Even though I reload, this gun has been a lot of fun for practice at a low price, and being that all I carry these days is a 1911 full size or 4" compact, this gun emulates them really well. I would not pick this particular gun for hunting or precision shooting, but for fun or 1911 practice it's a great purchase.

AzShooter

My Colt ( Walther ) 1911 22 showed up today. I ordered a Government Model because that's all that was available but I ended up with a Gold Cup Trophy instead. I'm much happier because I don't have to upgrade the sights like I was going to so I saved about $70.

I put a yellow ( Number Six ) dry wall anchor in it and tested the trigger pull. It's right around 5 pounds and breaks real smooth. I have an old Wilson Combat Mainspring that I'm going to put in the gun which should get me down to 3.5 pounds if I'm lucky. I can live with that.

The Gold Cup also comes with Pachmyer grips. I like the feel of these. They are a little thicker than stock and just seem to fit my hand. I was going to make a holster for it but found a Yaqui Slide in my pile of old holsters and the gun fits perfectly. I'll make my own copy of the Slide just because I make all my holsters and even sell a few.

I'll get to shoot it Wednesday and will practice at 25 yards off hand so that I can use it at the next Steel Challenge Match as a second gun. Price for shooting a second gun is only $5 so I may as well give it a try.

Pics and review to come.

AzShooter

Q8FIzvgl.jpg

And here's the picture I promised.

Of three three variations available, I think the Gold Cup is the best -- because of the sights. IMHO, putting a light rail on a .22 is silly.