I finally got one

grubbylabs

Sorry I don't have pics yet but I will get them up as soon as I get home.

I was given a Ruger Reg Hawk 44 mag for helping my brother in law do some work, he new I would trade it for something else so he was good with what I did.

Well I traded for a Win 94 in .444 marlin. I have been looking for a Marlin but I have not seen one in our area, they are an order gun and who knows when they will show up. So I was very excited when he said he would trade straight across for the Winchester modle 94:D.

44 AMP

Staff
I have never heard of a Winchester Model 94 in .444 Marlin. Lots of model 94s made in .44 Magnum. Are you certain you have the rifle identified correctly?

I'll check my reference sources, but as I said, I never heard of any model 94 in .444 Marlin. IF it was factory produced, it must be a rare one!

grubbylabs

I can't wait to shoot it.

it does not suprise me but the ammo is expensive. 35.00 for a box of 20. Just means I will be getting dies real soon.

hickstick_10

Winchester made those timber carbines in 444 I believe. I know they made em in 450 marlin :eek:

I always wanted one, is the receiver chunkier like the 356 or 307 winchester 94s?

44 AMP

Staff
After checking with my lever gun guru today, I am informed that yes, they did make some .444s a few years ago. Apparently built on the 94 "Big Bore" action.

I was a little concerned tha someone was trying to foist off a .44 mag on you, instead of the .444 you were looking for. Obviously, my "off the top of my head" knowledge of all the variants of the Win 94 is far from complete. Especially the later guns.

Congrats on your gun. I hope you aren't recoil sensitive! Win 94s always kicked me worse than any other guns in the same calibers. THeir stocks just don't fit me well.

Doyle

Win 94s always kicked me worse than any other guns in the same calibers.

You can say that again. Even the lowly 30-30 through a Win 94 can kick enough to be painful. If it doesn't already have a very good recoil pad, you'll need one.

grubbylabs

Dr MoonUnit is right it is a model 94 AE

I have only put two rounds though it but it did not kick near as much as I thought it would. So far it seems like a nice gun. I will probably have to wait to order some brass and dies to really put some rounds through it as I can order the brass and buy the dies for less than two boxes of ammo. But I new about the caliber going into it. I am going to start casting my own so I will be able to load for it pretty cheap so long as a I can find cast load data for it.

grubbylabs

Well here are the pics of her.

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 44

bamaranger

Big Bore receiver

Yeah, I never really considered the Big Bore, with its beefed up receiver a true "Model 94" and the original post caused me to ponder as well.

Thanks 44AmP for the clarification.

grubbylabs

Well I have had the chance to shoot it a little bit now and it does not seem to kick any worse than any other large caliber gun I have shot. I think this gun will see a lot of field time during archery season for bear defense and I may even go bear hunting with it. I have even thought about it for Moose but I think I am going to stick with the Muzzle loader and archery for them. Unless I do an out of state hunt then the .444 will get first crack at it.