I finally found a place to shoot!!!

Doc Hoy

As perhaps you recall, I moved to Naples, FL in March of last year. The intervening months have been a litany of attempts to find a spot to shoot.

I thought I had a place about 2 hours from me but it turns out, the guy had a problem inter-racial marriages.

Was looking at a piece of property to purchase but gave it up as too problematic. Permits to cut foliage etc.

Three weeks ago a gentleman and aviation entrepreneur answered my add telling me the only thing he wanted for permission to shoot on his property is some instruction on BP revolvers.

I can do that.

Place is 1.6 acres which easily meets the FL requirements of NMT 1 house per acre residential density. No one behind the place. About 25 minutes from my house.

Built a quasi portable shooting stand with the obligatory cover. (FL sun is brutal).

Distance to target is 30 plus yards.

Been out shooting once a week

Attachments

• Stand 1.jpg
    Stand 1.jpg
    736.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Stand 2.jpg
    Stand 2.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 129

Pahoo

Happy for you!!!

I finally found a place to shoot!!!
Tis a thing of beauty and I sincerely mean that. These days, it's getting harder to find a place to shoot. My most convenient range, we named "Death-Valley". I have to pick the proper time and day, in order to get my shooting done. Enjoy it, "protect" it and hope you keep using it till all your hair turns grey. ….. :)

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!

bn12gg

Good for you, from a Central Florida neighbor. One suggestion, make a bunch of noise and kick the side of the building before you settle in to shoot -- this sends a signal to the rattlesnakes to high tail it !!

David :)

bn12gg

Doc -- No, Winter Park is an Orlando burb. I happen to be a long time member of Chuluota Sportsmans Club that is over 3 hours from Naples. While the wife and I have spent time in Naples over the last 30+ years, I am not familiar with shooting sports clubs southwest of us. I can't believe that there is not a club or two in your neck of the woods/Florida.

Enjoy yourself in Florida. Naples is a cupcake !!

.02 David :)

Doc Hoy

You are correct

Ranges and clubs abound in Collier and Lee counties because of the restrictive laws.

Problem is, I don't shoot around other people.

Why?

Some opinions (useless opinions) based upon my extensive (but very ancient) observations:

1. Two people shooting at one place is more than twice as dangerous as one person shooting at one place.

Disclaimer - If a person shooting alone hurts himself, he is probably done for.

2. The range rules make it (for me) enjoyable.

Disclaimer - The range rules, properly implemented make it safer.

3. Even though the rules may be enforced strictly, in any group of shooters, at least one shooter should be horsewhipped.

Disclaimer - Sometimes, I should be horsewhipped.

4. I am such a poor shot, that I am embarrassed.

Disclaimer - Shooting alone deprives me of experience that would improve my shooting in a hurry.

5. I shoot so slowly that most other folks would not tolerate my shenanigans.

Disclaimer - My shenanigans should not be tolerated.

6. Other people shoot so quickly that I don't tolerate their shenanigans.

Disclaimer - I should be less rigid.

7. I don't shoot enough to make the membership costs a good investment.

Disclaimer - The materials for the shooting bench cost more than 200.00. An acre of land costs around $ 20k.

8. I am just stubborn.

Disclaimer - ..... :eek:(

spitpatch

Glad you found a shooting spot. I recall some of your posts from quite some time ago of wanting to shoot solo. You had built a very nice portable shooting bench. Posted photos of it. Enjoy.

Jim Watson

How big is the berm?

A friend of a friend has a thousand yard range on one acre of land...
14 feet wide and 3000 feet long. He knows the owner of a huge field who lets him mow a strip from firing line to target.

Doc Hoy

Yee Hah!

Max range to target is 30 yards. The berm goes almost as high as the top of the target stand. Should be a little higher but two things are true. There is nothing behind the stand for a good ways. The trajectory from bench to target stand is down.

Was out yesterday and took along the Henry in .45 Long Colt, a Ballester Molina, the 1916 Luger and the P1. Everything worked fine accept for the P1. Forward sight worked loose.

Fixed that when I got back to the house.

Great day overall.

Here's some additional images.

Attachments

• Range 3.jpg
    Range 3.jpg
    875.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Range 2.jpg
    Range 2.jpg
    938.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Range 1.jpg
    Range 1.jpg
    846.6 KB · Views: 47

Dave T

The one dream I've always had was too have my own range. 100 yards would have been ideal but I'd have settled for 50 or even 25.

Never was in a position to do anything about it and now I'm too old, broken, and settled to dream any more.

Congrats to the OP for solving his problem.

Dave

Tidewater_Kid

Doc,

Two carbines and 13 rifles. Lots of different models. Couple of cut-down 1866, three 1868 riles and one 1868 homemade carbine (my favorite shooter), one 1870 rifle and the rest are 1873s, 84 and 88 Rod bayonet. One 1884 carbine and one 1891 cadet rifle. I have built several from assorted original parts. Only a few reproduction parts in the whole batch. It is a fun addiction.

Doc Hoy

Sheesh!

I remember when we were first talking about these gems. Four five years ago?

I think I could develop a similar affection for the rolling block.

Tidewater_Kid

I have one Swedish Rolling block. It's a great shooter, but the ammo is a real challenge to make. The Trapdoor 50-70 and 45-70 I can turn out easily and so I get to shoot those a bunch more.