I finally broke down and went back to plastic...

JIH

I don't like polymer. Real men use real steel. Then, why did I walk out of the HGCA with a Springfield XD40... good price ($350)? Moment of weakness? Felt great? Don't know. However, now I have one... and I don't regret it.

However... two questions:

1. What ammo do they like? Are they like Glocks, and they don't like lead? Do they have supported chambers?

I bought some UMC and some WinClean ammo to test function, but tend to stick to Golden Sabers or Gold Dots... I assume these will do ok?

2. Will the SIG night sights work ok with the XDs? I know Trijicon has the SIG sights labeled as "HS2000" compatible, however don't know if Springfield changed this in their "upgrade" formula.

Kermit

The nice thing about the XD line of guns is its compatibility w/ other manufacturers. The sights will work, most any metal magazine will work (so bring on the hi caps) & seem like good guns.

Acme

I just picked up a very lightly used 3rd gen HS2000 (9mm) last week and finally got it to the range today. I tried all kinds of ammo and it ate up everything I fed it. Including the $3.99/box Blazers I bought at Oshman's last week. (I don't know about you, but I can afford a LOT of practice at $3.99 per box.)

Anyway, this is rapidly becoming my favorite pistol. I put several hundred rounds through it (easily doubling the number of rounds that it has seen in it's lifetime) today and I could make nice little tight groups with it. The ergonomics are nearly perfect for my hand. You always hear people describing some pistol or another as "feeling like an extension of their hand" -- that's what this one is for me.

By the way, if anyone cares, I paid $325 for it and got the box and all it's original contents plus four factory magazines. It seemed a pretty good deal to me, especially for a gun that looks for all the world like it's brand new.

Acme

Gusgus

JIH,
You'll find that a large number of folk who have never owned, or even shot these pistols, tend to be predisposed against them. Don't know why they invoke such a response, but they do.

On the other hand, the vast majority of us who actually own them are hooked. I've owned a Gen 3 HS2000 for well over a year now, and it's performed flawlessly. Out of the close to 2 dozen autoloaders I currently own, the HS is one of my absolute favorites. Plus, back then, I was able to pick it up for only $269 NIB.

Word is, that the XDs are even better. When I'm finally able to build the gun fund back up, I'll be searching for an XD in .357 Sig. But by then, maybe the rumored .45 will even be out. ;)

jem375

Like Gusgus, I am waiting for the XD to come out with a 45...I don't want a 9MM, 357 Sig, or a 40.......hopefully the XD will be out soon with a 45 and a 10MM......

Bongos

What type of Mags fit this gun? P226? 92FS? You mention Hicaps, most metal, this is the first I heard of this, please elaborate.
Thanks

JohnKSa

Administrator
What type of Mags fit this gun? P226? 92FS?

The mag catch notch is on the front of the magazine. That means that you can adapt practically any magazine that is long enough and in the proper caliber to fit by putting a notch in the proper spot on the mag body. Bonus is that it will still work in the original gun.

Of course, based on grip angle and feed lip geometry, some mags will work better than others.

I don't know which ones people have tried, but based on the HS2000 I had apart last week, it looks like the Beretta 92 mags would probably work great.

KSFreeman

The Crock's are solid guns. I have seen them at several skuls past couple of years. Their operators reported no problems (do not know what mags they were using).