I finally bought a laser bore sighter.

Rome

Hi all!

After being on the fence for a while about getting a laser bore sighter, I finally ordered one from Sportsmen's Guide. There are a number of them on the market, now, and I had to decide how much to spend and how easy it was to use. I ended up buying the SiteLite SL100 mag laser boresighting system from Concept Development Corp which can be found in the catalog. It cost about $100.

In a nutshell, the base unit consists of a very tight laser attached to a 4 1/2" tapered magnetic shaft. You can bore site anything from a .22 up. It comes with spacers for shotguns, too.

Last night I bore sited five different calibers, including a .22 with a scope. I also "tested" one rifle that I had already range sited (my MAS 49/56). In every case, the system worked perfectly and easily. There are a number of "O" rings included with the unit to help make the shaft fit snugly. Once it's in, the strong magnet holds it into the shaft. All you do is place the rifle in a cradle, mount the target 25 yards away, and follow the instruction as to where to place the laser dot and where to adjust your iron or scope sights. It was really easy.

You can do pistols with this unit, too.

So, if you've been considering it, I can tell you that this unit works well and is easy to use. The only better way would be to actually purchase a dedicated shell with a laser built into it but they are expensive (about $90 each) and don't come in the "odd" calibers that old milsurps require.

I've found that the big advantage of this unit is that you can at least get close to perfect on the paper without going through lots of ammo, first. Secondly, if you're not on paper after using this unit, you'll know it's not your sights that are the problem. Maybe it's the ammo. Third, this unit works even in rifles that have worn muzzles (like my M1). All in all, it was worth the purchase.

Just thought I'd share the info. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you've got them.

Rome