I dont know squat about reloading..

Dashunde

...But I'd like to load my own plinking ammo for 45acp, 9mm & 380.
Just standard proven loads for me and no experimenting, it would simply be a means-to-an-end method of getting ammo.

I'm looking for info on where I should start, what should I buy, and how much of it?

howlnmad

Here is a good place to start. Read the stickies st the top. Go get a copy of the ABC's of Reloading. Read that, front to back and then again. then go pick up Lymans 49th edition and read that. The RCBS video is helpful cuz you can see the process as it's being done. Join other forums, read their stickies. Do "noobie" searches and read them. Then come back and ask questions. Think about how much you want to spend and how serious you are.
ps... welcome to the firingline.

howlnmad

dahermit

...But I'd like to load my own plinking ammo for 45acp, 9mm & 380.
Just standard proven loads for me and no experimenting,
No such thing. A "standard, proven load for the .45ACP is 7 grains of Unique under a 230 grain jacketed bullet. However, this "standard" may or may not be accurate in your particular .45 Auto. Yours may require 6.5 grains or 7.2 grains, or not be very accurate with Unique at all. For good accuracy, one usually has to experiment a bit.

Dashunde

omg... thank you guys very much for your replies.
It set me clearly on my way to discovering that there is no frickin way am I investing that much time and money into reloading.
It seems to be just as expensive too. :eek:

BigJimP

Most of us look at reloading as an extension of our shooting hobby.

Personally, I reload for 9mm, .40, . 45acp, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44mag and for shotshells in 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 .....and yes the equipment isn't inexpensive / but its a long term investment too if you buy good equipment.

I started reloading when I was about 8 yrs old / with my grandpa ...and I've passed it on to my kids / and now to my grandkids ....and there is something about developing and shooting your own ammo that makes it more fun. And passing it on to the kids is a good thing too.

It isn't just about saving money / and in reality, I shoot more since I reload ...so I really don't save that much / I just shoot more ( maybe 6 or 8 boxes a week thru my handguns ) and probably 10 or 12 boxes of shotshells a week .....so the cost isn't just a $ 300 bill out of my wallet buying ammo all the time ....makes it easier to justify / have some fun.

But reloading is some of my nice quiet time in the shop. I'm loading about 40 boxes of 9mm right now ...in the shop / did 5 or 6 boxes this morning ...do 10 or 12 tonite ... and by the weekend, I'll be fully stocked again / then move onto the next caliber.

spacecoast

A "standard, proven load for the .45ACP is 7 grains of Unique under a 230 grain jacketed bullet. However, this "standard" may or may not be accurate in your particular .45 Auto. Yours may require 6.5 grains or 7.2 grains, or not be very accurate with Unique at all. For good accuracy, one usually has to experiment a bit.

This doesn't sound right - if it were true, then nobody would be happy with the accuracy of factory ammo and everyone would load their own. Since that is obviously not the case...

Last edited:

rwilson452

Unless you go whole hog for something like a Dillon 1050 press, you can amortize the cost of equipment in 2000-3000 rounds. After that your ammo is much cheaper than store bought. As others have pointed out, you won't really save money but you get a lot more bangs for your buck.

I will warn you, reloading is very addictive and there is no known cure.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I don't understand this idea of not saving money.

I save somewhere like 75%.

Sure, if you're the guy who will shoot as much ammo as he can get loaded then, no, you're not going to save money. I don't do that, and a lot of other people don't either. I do 90% of my shooting at some sort of critter and the rest is load development. I save a BUCKET LOAD of money. $15 on every 20 rounds of 204Ruger, $20 or more on every 20 rounds of 7mm-08.

The only thing that I load for paper is 357sig and even then I don't shoot any more than I would if I bought it in a store. I save $15-$18 per 50 with the Sig.

I've loaded less than 200 rounds so far and my equipment has about half paid for itself.

Jim243

Peetza

No one's saying they don't save on reloading, just spending more than if we just went out and bought a box of ammo.

Let's see I have over 20,000 rounds loaded, it's not as much as it seems, it's in 12 different calibers and 5,000 are 22LR. I keep wondering why I still keep reloading, but then I come up with a different caliber (357 Sig) or load I want to try out. About 3 years ago, I got into buying more pistols and have neglegeted my rifles. Last year I got into IDPA matches and that uses 150 rounds in less than 3 or 4 hours each match (once a month). And I pratice one or two times more a month to get better or find a better load.

Have to cut this short, my 357 Sig dies just came in today from Midway, want to clean them up, my barrel should be in Fri. Thanks again for the Power Pistol suggestion, that's what I will try.

Best of Wishes
Jim

Last edited:

chris in va

:eek: No no no...you don't have to spend that much money on reloading. I use a Lee Hand Press for 45 and 9mm, works great. Everything else I have is either used or bought off Ebay for cheap. My entire setup cost me $120. Everything.

But I like to say, "don't reload to save money, reload to shoot more for the same cost".:cool:

Lost Sheep

Also read this:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408372
or, if the linkd does not work, paste this into your browser
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408372
or just do a search for phrases like "newbie" "New to reloading", "beginner" and such.

It is recent, exactly on point with your post.

Welcome to your new obsession. Many people find reloading to be an edifying hobby in and of itself, in addition to being a means to an end. The repetitive actions can be very calming and zen-like increases your concentration and appreciation for the shooting.

One thing. Your three chamberings are typically autoloaders (which means they are also auto-UN-loaders). I typically lose 5% of my brass on a good day. 10% is not unusual. Some days I come home with more 45 ACP empty brass than I brought loaded rounds to the range (basically I am trading my lost cases for some other shooter's previously lost cases).

If you get fanatical about your brass, you will probably think longingly of the revolver cartridges. You don't have to go crawling around in the gravel for your brass, it is right where you dropped it, in the bucket at your feet. It is clean, unbent and YOURS.

Happy shooting. Happy reloading.

Lost Sheep

jimbob86

I typically lose 5% of my brass on a good day. 10% is not unusual.

20'x20' blue tarps are cheap ....... just sayin' ...... an ounce of prevention being worth a whole pound of searchin' through the grass.......

Xfire68

Dashunde, I am not sure what part of the link you read but reloading does not cost that much to start out and the time is not all that much either!

The time spent in making better the factory rounds IMHO is well worth it to begin with and it is also fun and a learning experience.

Loading what you mentioned (I am doing the same thing) only cost $200 for a kit from Lee which included a press, Scale, Primer, Powder Measure and Shell Holders. Included in that cost I also bought a set of Dies, digital calipers and a Cass Tumbler.

Brass, powder and bullets "if" you shop around can be had on the cheap and again your getting better then factory out of it once you get the motions down pack!:D

Reload you will thank us later!;)

Dave R

It seems to be just as expensive too.
I had spent less than $100 when I turned out my first rounds. Bought used equipment.

I recently upgraded to a Turret press, which is like 3X faster than a single stage press, and spent $200 on the complete kit.

I load primo quality rifle rounds for half the cost of cheap FMJ blasting ammo.

And its fun.

What's not to love?

Dashunde

Thanks again, loads of insight here.

Heres my noob math on reloading 380:
- Using Midway's cheapest 380acp brass is $18 per 100 (ok, yea its reusable, but..)
- Using Midway's cheapest 380apc 95gr bullets is $18 per 100
- Neither the brass nor the bullets are in stock.
- Powder and primers not accounted for yet.
- Equipment not bought yet. Not going to be a wife-friendly expenditure.
- After shooting brass will still need to be rounded up every trip - very unfun.
- Huge amounts of time for reading/studying/buying.
- I gave $17 per 50 round ready-to-fire box at Cabela's on Saturday. They also had steel case for $14.

So I just dont get it - outside of it being its own sub-hobby where you go for ballistics and/or oustanding accuracy - what is the point?
I do realize that the brass will be reused, and that the more I shoot and load the cheaper it becomes, but I still cant justify it.

It kinda sux though, they got us by the beans... with all of the work and up-front expense involved, reloading really should be much cheaper compared to factory loads.

Lastly, that low smoke, good feeding, good shooting $17 box of 380 came from overseas (Hungary I think).
Seems to me that Remington, Winchester and the rest better quit fooling around and screwing with us on price and availability.

zippy13

Dashunde,

There are some on-line re-loading cost calculators that will give you the number of boxes of ammo you need to reload to cover the costs of your reloading equipment. I think you'll be surprised how quickly the equipment investment is recovered.

Costs aside, there is something quite satisfying about shooting re-load groups that are half the size of the ones you shot with factory loads.

dahermit

A "standard, proven load for the .45ACP is 7 grains of Unique under a 230 grain jacketed bullet. However, this "standard" may or may not be accurate in your particular .45 Auto. Yours may require 6.5 grains or 7.2 grains, or not be very accurate with Unique at all. For good accuracy, one usually has to experiment a bit.
This doesn't sound right - if it were true, then nobody would be happy with the accuracy of factory ammo and everyone would load their own. Since that is obviously not the case...
Try it and find out. It is more obvious for rifle (bench rest competitors always handload), than it is for handguns, but each firearm is unique in what it will shoot best nevertheless. If you have not found this to be the case, you have not have had sufficient experience in hand loading. For instance, my Browning HP 9MM has a penchant (accuracy wise) for S&B cases over Remington, Federal, or Winchester.

In regard to your statement, observe what the first post in this thread is suggesting about having to find the "right" load (bullet), for his gun:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408735

Last edited:

ZeSpectre

A lesson in economics and reloading.

Lesson #1: The value of recovered Brass.

Back in my early days of reloading I came home from the range with a (rough count) of 960 pieces of brass for the various calibers I reload and another 150 that will go into the scrap bucket.

I was sitting in the "man cave" chuckling to myself and inspecting the cases before I tumbled them and my wife wandered in to see what I was doing. "GOLD!" I said, "I struck GOLD". :D

She just looked at me

"So what's the big deal" she said, "Yeah you don't have to buy brass for a while but it's nothing to get THAT excited about". :rolleyes:

"Well," says I "if I bought this brass new (say from Starline) it would run me between $0.11 and $0.13 for each piece. So if we just average let's say $0.12 for each piece. that means you are looking at roughly $115.00 in brass that I just picked up for FREE"!

So she thought that was nice, but then something struck me. I've only been reloading for a short period so I guess this particular thought had never bubbled to the surface before.

Grinning I said to her "and there's more! Each piece is reusable, probably several times with my light loads and assuming I don't loose any of them".

"In fact, I can probably get 5 or 6 (or more) reloads out of each of these cases! That means I'm saving that $0.12 EVERY TIME until the brass is unusable! Since I'm not buying new brass that means that, to me, this pile of brass has a total "use value" of about $575.00-$690.00 vs buying new ammo!"

Suddenly my wife sees that little pile of dirty brass in a whole different light