I did it, 9mm 1911

garryc

Always wanted one. I have some 45's but I wanted something different. It's a Taurus PT-1911. If it's as good as my PT-1911 45 I will be very happy.

Now I just have to wait for delivery from Buds.

Why, no reason. I stopped attempting to justify guns a long time ago.

Skeets

Member in memoriam
Congrats on your new 1911.I've always thought the 9MM would be a good match in a 1911 platform. Please let us know how the break-in goes. :D

railroader

I just got a 9mm 1911 about a month and a half ago. They are neat to shoot with the lack of recoil. As for mags I ordered some Metalform 10 rounders that seem to work fine. I had some Mecgar 10 rounders but they wouldn't lock the slide back. Post some pics when you get you gun.

tallball

Congratulations! I had always wanted one, too, but the Super B's were so cheap...

5a33b013-68df-4590-a966-7ec51194954a_zps8ece0ofq.jpg

smee78

Congrats on the new addition, I had the same want years ago and got a Springfield 1911 9MM and it is a fun gun to shoot. It does not get the range time it shoot but it is going more often now. The first centerfire pistol I ever shot was my dads Colt 1911 9mm Commander, that memory will always be with me and drove me to get mine. Get us a range report once you get to take it out.

Hammer1

Not really a fan of the 9mm, but always thought that a 9mm in a pre-Series 70 Colt Commander was a necessary item.

JDBerg

Love the 9mm 1911, I had the Springfield Loaded, I have an STI Trojan now. 9mm 1911's are particular about magazine and ammo choices. I highly recommend the Wilson Elite Tactical Magazines (ETM's) for a 9mm 1911. My Trojan came with one Metalform magazine, and although it otherwise works fine, it doesn't drop free from the gun. The ETM's drop free with no problem, and function 100% in this gun. Also, the Springer and this Trojan seem to shoot 147gr FMJ ammo really well, The Winchester Train "T" 147gr FMJ ammo is subsonic and it is very accurate with very low recoil from a gov't length steel framed 1911.

One thing to consider about a 9mm 1911 and their low felt recoil, the barrel is much thicker and heavier on a 9mm 1911 than a 45ACP 1911. So the fact that you have more weight right at the muzzle of the gun that is already pretty heavy, really helps to tame the felt recoil! You'll find out, Good Luck, have fun shooting!

Last edited:

g.willikers

Sure there are good reasons for a 9mm 1911, if any are needed.
Relatively inexpensive ammo as compared to other calibers.
Reducing the necessity for reloading - which ain't getting any cheaper or easier these days.
Less stress on body parts for older folks - important over a long day of shooting.
A compatible way to use a mix of 9mm with other 1911 calibers.
Something that's not always agreeable with other designs.
And, of course, the usual one - just 'cause.

dahermit

had some Mecgar 10 rounders but they wouldn't lock the slide back. Post some pics when you get you gun.
Before I gave up on them, I would replace the magazine springs with some stronger ones.

Other than that, I have a .38 Super Colt Combat Commander (all steel), that I have had since the seventies. The .38 Super is slightly (some say insignificantly), more powerful than the 9MM, so it is much the same as shooting a 9MM in the 1911 platform.

garryc

Logic,

I cast many of my own bullets. have a 231 load with a 125 grain .357 bullet. Lead is no longer easy to find. I cast 124 grains in comparison to 230 grains.

That's all I got.

pete2

Late last year I bought a 9 MM Citadel from Bud's, bought it because it was cheap, wasn't in the market but for 340.00 couldn't pass it up. It's now one of my favorite pistols. It's like shooting a .22 after the .45s. Fun gun. I hope the Taurus works for you.

DanTSX

The 1911's trump card is it's trigger that allows for VERY fast follow-up shots.

I know everyone loves the "power" of the .45ACP, but if I can spit out three rounds of 9mm with combat accuracy onto a threat, I'll bet the house that those three rounds of 9mm are wounding to a greater capacity, or increasing my chances of a CNS hit much more than the additional wounding of a single 45ACP versus a single 9mm.

If you do your part and practice regularly, a 9mm 1911 starts sounding more like a SMG than a pistol.

Guys shooting a 9mm 1911 are not compensating for ANYTHING. They know what they are doing.;)

Sevens

My 9mm 1911 is a Springfield Loaded Stainless and it runs very well and is extremely enjoyable to shoot. For magazines... I have seven of 'em and ALL are MetalForm. Feed always, drop free & no issues with locking the slide open upon empty.

If I have to make a complaint about the mags I would really have to reach. Like, say, they are no fun at all to manually unload. Fortunately I have a fun pistol that unloads them for me at the press of a button.

BoogieMan

I have a Kimber Target2 1911/9 for a couple years now. I love it and wouldnt hesitate to get another 1911/9 for 1 sec. Ammo is about 30% less expensive, you can fit a 10rnd mag in the grip. Mine now has a milled in Docter sight and a Schuman comp barrel. I have had pretty good luck with Wilson mags but I do take out the follower and remove the flash from the nylon insert otherwise they tend to hang up on the 3rd round when loading.
It shoots 124gr ball ammo the best and will not feed the stuff with the soft plastic tips like zombie max. Your Taurus may be different.

shaunpain

Congrats! +1 on the Super B. Fantastic feeling gun that I cleaned up but haven't gotten the chance to shoot yet. Have a BKM as well that is great.

tallball

Thanks! I like the Super B a lot. It is a good fit for large hands. They are so cheap right now I couldn't resist. My FiL got ours from different sources, both less than $250. Mine is in great shape. His appeared to be unissued.

BigJimP

I think a 9mm in a 1911 is a great choice / I have three of them in 9mm - a Les Baer Monolith, a Wilson combat Protector model - both 5" guns / and a 4" Kimber Tactical Pro model....

The Wilson has run 100% right out of the box - is now 9 yrs old and approaching 90,000 rds thru it. Les Baer had some feeding issues - but its because its a baer...not because its a 9mm - Baer makes his guns too tight.

Kimber is an ok gun for a mass produced gun...I replaced all the internals ( trigger, disconnector, etc..with Wilson parts / trigger was not good out of the factory )...now its very good.
-------------------
I like .45 acp in a 1911 as well...but nothing wrong with the 9mm's / and I run Wilson 10 rd ETM mags in all 3 guns...