I can't buy guns by mail...

johnbt

I just don't see why most folks would buy a new gun by mail just to save a few dollars or so. I want to hold it before I buy it and see how it feels. I want to try the trigger and check for smooth cycling, rough edges, tool marks, chipped grips, misaligned sights, mags that won't drop and all of the other things we hear about regularly. It is enough of a crap shoot without buying the proverbial pig in a poke. Am I the only one? John

alan

John:

Notwithstanding the fact that federal law, enacted in 1968, did away with "mail order gun sales", didn't you know this, I suppose it might depend on how one spelled "a few dollars or so".

You ask, "am I the only one", perhaps you are.

Trigger Jerk

I think what John means is "sight unseen". I doubt that he literally means having guns delivered to his door without FFL.

Anyway, to answer your question. I probably buy 50% of the guns I buy that way, sight unseen. Why? Well for one, I live in the sticks with no gun stores less than 100 miles away.

Gun shows are only every so often.

Most importantly, I can't find what I want at either the far away gun store OR the once in a while gun show.

If there is a problem, I've had decent experience with factory service, even with the less exspensive guns like Davis and Heritage.

Yes, it's nice to hold it and inspect it before purchase, but I'd have 30 or 40 less guns if I made that a strict requirement.

johnbt

Cute answer, but it won't do. When a buyer calls a seller, orders a gun with a credit card and has it shipped to a local FFL holder - I call it mail order. Whether it comes FEDEX, UPS, USPS or PONY EXPRESS, the buyer gets it as is - sight unseen. Wouldn't you rather pay a little more maybe and get a look at what you're buying? I am just curious because I can buy all of the major brands locally for the same, or less, than I can mail order them and have been a little surprised by the number of posts referring to (mail)ordered guns with bad triggers, rough edges, tool marks and other problems. John

Nukem

In states where private party sales are still legal, it would appear that it is legal to *mail* long guns if both parties reside in the same state:

[18 U.S.C. 926A, 27 CFR 178.38]
(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the mails?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his own State or to a
licensee in any State. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract
carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer a
handgun to a non licensed resident of another State.

Jeff OTMG

Johnbt, there are not many places like Oklahoma and Texas where you can buy at a gun store or gun show for the same price that you can in Shotgun News or Gun List. I am sure there are other places, but these two I am familiar with. Glocks are $429-$449, Kahr K40 Covert $379, Walther PPK .32 ACP $309, Ruger P series 9mm for $229, Autauga MkII $295, all these are NIB. Many dealers attempt to sell for full retail or more, sometimes hundreds of dollars more. At that time it becomes cost effective to order from a major dealer/distributor. On used guns it is standard policy to offer and get a 3 day inspection and return privledge and that is how I bought my SIG P225 for $329. Will probably get another it was such a good deal. The used guns are the ones that are hard to come by at a great price.

johnbt

Trigger Jerk - 100 miles from a gun store? I'd move :) I'm in Virginia and only 5 to 10 miles from four - and one is a major distributor/retailer. And I'm not counting all of the K-Marts, Wal-Marts, pawn shops, etc. Jeff OTMG - I didn't know that used handguns would come with the same 3-day inspection period offered on used shotguns. Thanks for clueing me in. The best deals on used firearms around here are the ones listed for private sale in the weekly Trading Post newspaper. John

alan

John:

Since you are located as you say, there likely is little need for "mail order" as you describe it, other than for some unusual piece.

On used guns, of any type, if the seller is unwilling to offer a reasonable inspection/return privilege, you have been warned by the position they take.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
To shift emphasis a bit and talk about "them good old days", a majority of mail-order-guns were surplus military rifles. Most folks only wanted the action, to build a sporter.

There were no discount outlets. You could get a gun from a local store, have the store order whatever you wanted, and to a lesser extent--in distant rural areas--order from the factory. If unsatisfied with the latter, mail it back and get a replacement with a profuse letter of apology. Generally, however, a Model 70 was just as good as it was supposed to be.

Different world.

Art

Herodotus

As far as "sight unseen" goes, at least for new guns the normal situation at a dealer is that he does not have the actual model or caliber of gun you want anyway. He has to order it, maybe it will actually be available and if it ever arrives, you will have to take whatever it is that they sent him. It is not often that you get to handle the actual gun that you will get before putting money down, so I don't think this is much of an argument for buying local. The problem is especially annoying if you have never seen the gun before, but think it is the one for you or if you need the gun in a hurry. There are valid reasons for buying both local and "through the mail".

duck hunt

I know what you mean about the Trading Post, John! In Richmond, a house just ain't a home without a marked-up copy of this week's Trading Post sitting by the phone.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, has anyone checked out what parts and accessories are selling for on E-Bay? Geez! We are talking several times market value for items that are readily available elsewhere! What gets into people? Maybe the adrenaline takes over once they get bidding....

------------------
*quack*

larry_minn

I have bought three guns through the net. One from a person I "knew" from another forum. I agreed to the deal over the web with the provision of a veto when we met person to person. "I ran serial##s first" The other two were through auctions. I knew what it would cost me local and bid on a lot of them until I finally "won". First one was just as said. NIB The second I just sent off the M.O. it is to be LNIB. I ran its ##s also and know the name/address/phone/business of the orig owner and have talked to them. It will be shipped via USPS.
Why do I do it?? Can't find them locally and the price when/if they could ever get one in is 3digits more. $$$ Also it IS fun to bid on guns. BUT you MUST know how much you want to spend.

johnbt

Mea culpa, y'all! Guess I need to get out more - just figured every state had a large dealer or two. For the past thirty years I've lived 10 miles from a store that keeps six or more salesmen busy behind the gun counter, that many more in fishing and more for bows, boots, blackpowder, etc. If you're ever driving the East Coast, they're one minute off of I-95, ten miles north of Richmond. They claim to have stock shortages from time to time, but have always had what I wanted. For example, when I bought a Kimber S/S Gold Match before Christmas they only had 4 or 5 in stock when Kimber was claiming their total production was 4500 behind. Their prices are good but it can get expensive if you're not careful -- after buying the Kimber I just had to handle one good-looking 12 ga. SxS from the rack behind the counter. Turned out it was a $5000+ Merkel(sigh). Thanks for the feedback. John

glockguy45

I have bought 2 through the mail. No problems yet. Both were brand new and I saved around a 100 on each one. I have no complaints so far.

Nate