I can't be the only one

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKGuns

Please, don't let this degenerate into brand warfare.....So PLEASE, lets have a useful discussion based on reading my post and the point I am trying to make.

Am I the only person in the world who find Glock's dangerous? -Let me explain.

I've shot a lot of IDPA and have never owned a Glock. At one point I picked up a buddies Glock to give it a run through a course of fire.

I don't recall whether it pointed high or low (I believe it was low), but through the entire course of fire, my shots were off and my time was slowed incredibly because the grip angle was so different than any of my other pistols and I had to keep adjusting my point of aim.

This is one of the reasons I will never own a Glock pistol.

The last thing I want in a defensive situation is to have to take extra time to point the pistol where I can hit the target.

If all you own are Glock's then I suppose you're all set. I doubt, however, most of you only own Glock pistols. I can also believe one or the other will point naturally for you, but not both.

How do all you Glock shooters square this with yourselves?

Last edited:

Burger

I like the grip angle. I seen the extreme grip angles on those .22 caliber pistols that some like, so Glocks' can't be that bad.

We are taught to punch using our first 2 knuckles to advoid hitting with the pinky knucle ("boxer's fracture"), so Glock's grip angle works naturally for me.

Also, grip angle is not too much of a concern for me because arm extended all the way out vs holding the pistol closer to you, your rist bend accordingly. Since I shoot differently all the time, the angle my rist is bent by is always changing. I just focus on pointing the slide.

madmag

HKguns said:
I can also believe one or the other will point naturally for you, but not both.

No, all point naturally for me.

Never could understand the grip angle argument. I own and shoot Glock and others including 1911. When I am shooting I never notice any difference in grip angle or hitting the target. Yes, I know there is some difference to the 1911, but I must automatically adjust. Just was never an issue for me.

varoadking

At one point I picked up a buddies Glock to give it a run through a course of fire.I don't recall whether it pointed high or low (I believe it was low), but through the entire course of fire, my shots were off and my time was slowed incredibly because the grip angle was so different than any of my other pistols and I had to keep adjusting my point of aim.

This is one of the reasons I will never own a Glock pistol.

Yup...why bother practicing when you can just dismiss something as being dangerous...

HKGuns

Madmag,

Good information that you have different brands and don't find it an issue.

Have you shot in a defensive situation where you are shooting from the draw and are being timed? I'm not asking this to call you out, just trying to understand if perhaps my situation emphasized the difference more acutely.

jmortimer

This thread will not accomplish much except to get the Glockites wound-up....again. I don't like the grip/angle either but many either like it or don't care. As always to each his own.

dgludwig

I'm no fan of Glock pistols but the angle of the grip has never been an issue with me. I've shot them on a few occasions-maybe not often enough to appreciate the difference.

Texcowboy

I had been a die hard fan of 1911 for many years, however, I now have a Glock Model 32 (357 SIG w/40 Cal barrell also) and just today bought a Glock 19 (9mm).

Pointability feels natural to me and I just shoot them as i do the others in my collection. The only precausion I take with the Glocks is to use a trigger block behind the trigger when I carry either of them. I have always been afraid of having to reholster in a hurry under stress and catch the trigger on something. Probably would never happen but it makes me feel better to use the block.

What is good and works for one is not expected to work for everyone, there are inumerable great handguns out there, pick what you want and you are good to go.

BTW, I still love my Kimber Ultra Elite !!!

Last edited:

HKGuns

Yup...why bother practicing when you can just dismiss something as being dangerous...

Yeah, I'll practice with both just so I can have the privilege of buying a Glock? Sounds like a complete waste of time to me. Thanks for your input, If you've shot IDPA you know there is a lot of practice involved.

HKGuns

This thread will not accomplish much except to get the Glockites wound-up....again. I don't like the grip/angle either but many either like it or don't care. As always to each his own.

I hope it doesn't, but you're probably right.

30-30remchester

I have only shot one and wont have a plastic gun myself, I have a cop friend that shot himself in the kneecap using a Glock. That is my only experence with the plastic wonder.

IMightBeWrong

The Glock, 1911, SIGs, and CZs all point naturally for me. And that's just a couple of examples. If you practice with a weapon enough and get to know it's feel and handling characteristics it's use will feel natural in time. Simply muscle memory doing it's job.

By the way, Glocks are guns. Guns are dangerous, period. That's why we practice proper gun handling and safety.

varoadking

Yeah, I'll practice with both just so I can have the privilege of buying a Glock? Sounds like a complete waste of time to me. Thanks for your input, If you've shot IDPA you know there is a lot of practice involved.

Cars with automatic transmissions are dangerous. I drove one once. They don't shift the way my 4 speed truck or any truck I've ever driven does does. Is it just me?

Silly thread...

OsOk-308

The first handguns I shot were Glocks and they're what I learned to shoot with. I could accurately hit with them and thought they ran pretty well. I like that they do not have a safety (aside from the trigger thing). However, for some reason, I do not own one, nothing against them. There are just pistols that fit me better. I like Glocks but I like other pistols more; SA XDm and 1911 style pistols namely.

By the way, Glocks are guns. Guns are dangerous, period. That's why we practice proper gun handling and safety.

True, but some are less dangerous than others (less likely to go off randomly).

I have only shot one and wont have a plastic gun myself, I have a cop friend that shot himself in the kneecap using a Glock. That is my only experence with the plastic wonder.

I don't want to belittle the injury of your cop friend, however, that sounds like an operator issue over a firearm malfunction. Gun Rule #1: Never let your muzzle cover something you are not willing to destroy.

Dilbert

I don't see how you not being able to use it correctly makes the gun any more or less dangerous. Not meant as a flame, just saying that it's not the gun that is either safe or dangerous in this case.

madmag

HKguns said:
I'm not asking this to call you out, just trying to understand if perhaps my situation emphasized the difference more acutely.

I will answer this way. I have been shooting for over 60 years. I have been in tight situations, but admit I have never had to quick draw and shoot. But I can pickup any of my pistols, including revolvers, and shoot pretty well without any notice to the grip angle. I shoot two eyes open. It makes me think that there is something to do with shooting habits for those that notice the difference in grip angles.

PS: I have had only one pistol in recent years I could not hit with....slow or fast fire, and that was a Taurus PT945. It was reliable but grouping was all over the place. It's gone.

Last edited:

Wag

Every gun is going to feel different to different people. My 92FS fits me like a glove and sight acquisition is instantaneous in my hand. Accuracy is, therefore, very good. One of the best pistols I own.

If you don't shoot well with it, you're right to say you'll never own a Glock and that's as it should be. Be assured, though, there are plenty of people out there who shoot very well with Glocks.

And every other handgun under the sun.

The fact that every gun fits every person a little differently is one reason why law enforcement departments often do their officers a disservice by buying huge quantities of one type of firearm for every officer on their force. There needs to be a lot more flexibility, in my opinion.

--Wag--

madmag

On the subject of fitting the hand.

My Ruger P90 always feels bulky to me. In fact it really does not feel like a good fit, but when I get to the range and shoot I and hit with it better than about any semi I have ever owned. I don't know why, but that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.