I can't be the only one to have experienced this...

Kosh75287

When reloading .223 brass, I find happy matches between almost any make of brass (except Federal) and almost any make of primer (except Federal). I sort my cases by headstamp, but occasionally, a Federal case will sneak into a batch of something else. When I try to seat a primer (NOT made by Federal) into the Federal-manufactured case, it never fully seats, or, if forced, is deformed to the point that I don't feel comfortable with proceeding (I forced a few primers home, to see what kind of deformation I got).

I am hesitant to chamfer the primer pockets, since I am unaware of any crimp to keep the primer in. I'm afraid I may be inviting a case failure of some sort. I usually just set the Federal brass aside and work it up with Federal primers, when/where available.

It is difficult for me to imagine that I'm the only one who experiences this difficulty, but a more than half-hearted cyber search for info on it hasn't shed much light. Does anyone feel like telling me what's happening with the Federal brass? Or am I making a "Federal Case" out of Federal Cases? (sorry, it's early and I couldn't resist).

jwrowland77

Some of the federal .223 cases, are actually 5.56, meaning they have s crimped in primer, and you'll have to chamfer or swag the pocket in order to seat the primer correctly.

USMC 77-81

I agree with jwrowland. I look for the red ring around the primer pocket and if present I save them for those who swage the pocket, since I don't have a swage tool.

The problem is that Federal not only makes its commercial .223 Remington ammo, but also all those brown boxes of XM193 you see which have military style cases that are crimped, IIRC.

mikld

OP mentioned worry about "over chamfering" primer pockets. As a "whut wood happen if" kinda thing I countersunk some .308/7.62x51 cases up to mebbe 3/32" deep (I had to purposely hold the case a bit longer so I doubt if it could be done "accidently"). Nothing happened different from my normal reloads. No blown primers...

jwrowland77

I use a countersink as well. I chamfer little at a time until my primer pocket uniformer fits in the primer pocket. Then I know I've taken out just enough and not too much.

Primers fit nice and snug.