I broke my hornady reloading die!

Lavid2002

To start this thread...IM SO STUPID! SO AGGRIVATED! CANT BELEIVE THIS HAPPENED!
ok good....now that thats out of my system allow me to explain:mad:
Happy to get my new reloading set....but the hornady die set DIDNT come with a .223 case holder....I failed to put the right one in. Put a casing lubed up into the die....the casing got stuck....Pliers did nothing, I loosened the deccapping pin...and gave it a couple wacks with the mallet, nothing. Tried 3 wachs with the hammer. Nothing. The primer popped out, and and the top of the deccapping pin looked, off to me.....It was hard to screw in now, and it screwed out. And now Im at a table, die in front of me on a towel, with the bent decapping pin in front of me. Sent it back to hornady for 4 dollars S&H for repair? Ill just buy Lee dies next time. I ****ed up so much.......oh, and if I didnt mention it...when I was tightening the die into the press the bushing that fits into my lee press...got rounded out. The notch that keeps it in line is now more of a crevace instead of a U so I dont think THAT will work well now. Moral of the story: Dont be an idiot with reloading dies. ERRR
Alright...Im done. I figured if I hit the decapping pinit would pop out like lee allows you to do.
Shame level has increased:(

Sorry you found out the hard way that only the Lee dies have that removal feature, which depends on their heavier non-threaded decapper stems (not to mention providing the shell holder, which I don't recall anyone else doing, either). If you get a really badly stuck case, even that stem doesn't work. You've got to freeze the case. Pre-soaking in Kroil for a week can help.

guntotin_fool

Next time instead of beating on the die, buy a stuck case remover and its all easy, getting a case happens to everyone once in a great while. the remover works great.

CPTMurdoc30

I love my hornady dies. I believe they are some of the best dies on the market. I got a case stuck in mine beat it out with the decapping pin. I called hornady to order new parts had my credit card all ready I told them exactly what I did and what hppend they said oh I am sorry your Hornady product malfunctioned. You are going to need this this and this. They they asked what spindal I had I told them the nice lady said oh we have a better one let me upgrade you to that.

two days later I had all the parts I needed at no charge. I tried to pay for them but the nice lady did not let me payfor anything.

if you get a stuck case then get a stuck case remover from RCBS or Hornady.

BigJakeJ1s

You can assemble your own stuck case remover from a 1/4-20 tap and drill, a 3/8" socket that will clear your case head, a washer and a 1/4-20 bolt. In a pinch, you could even grind angled flats on the side of the bolt threads to make it a thread cutting screw of sorts, if you don't have a tap.

Drill and tap the head of the stuck case, slip the socket over the case head, put the bolt through the washer and socket into the case head, and tighten it down until the case pulls out.

I like Lee's sizing dies as well as Hornady's, but there's no comparison between their seating dies. Hornady has the sliding alignment sleeve feature that aligns the bullet with the case mouth before seating. And it disassembles for cleaning without messing up the settings. I have a Forster Co-Ax press, so shell holders are useless to me. I do like the Lee Collet Neck sizer and the collet type FCDs.

Andy

arizona98tj

When you are loading late on a Friday night for an early Saturday morning shoot at the range, stuck case removers can be worth their weight in gold when you stick a case in the die. ;) They cost less than $20.

4sarge

You can assemble your own stuck case remover from a 1/4-20 tap and drill, a 3/8" socket that will clear your case head, a washer and a 1/4-20 bolt.

I ran into this on my Hornady 223 sizer. I have taps on hand, and found that a 1/2 long 1/4-20 pan head screw fit the shellholder without needing a washer. Worked like a charm. I stuck 4 cases this winter out of 2000 Lake City I reloaded. (Using the infamous One Shot lube!)

Master Blaster

You lubed the case with Hornady one shot right??

This is really a lube problem, thats what caused the stuck case.

To avoid this happening again throw the one shot in the trash, and get some real lube, Imperial sizing wax, RCBS case lube, dillon lube.

Friends dont let friends use one shot for full length resizing of rifle cases.

wncchester

Only the people who don't need an erasure on their pencils can get by without a stuck case puller. Me, I make mistakes and need them both!

Lavid2002

they said oh I am sorry your Hornady product malfunctioned. You are going to need this this and this.
Gave me the zip spindle and expander decapper pin retainer peices for free : D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Hornady is awesome. Its in the mail on the way.

tuck2

I have had a stuck case remover for over twenty years but did not use it untill last year. I have a neck and full sizer dies for the same cartridge. I lubed the case for neck sizeing but had the full size die in the press. That RCBS stuck case remover works.