I am interested in the CZ83.

Love&Hate12

Summer is pretty much already here for Floridians and carrying around a G19 even can be a hassle. 12 rounds of .380 or 9x18 beats 5 rounds of .38 special in my opinion, as well as reduced recoil(snubs can be wicked with SD ammo).

I looked at the Beretta 84 but it carries a pricetag a bit more than the CZ and they probably perform the same.

Would any CZ83 owners be so kind to provide me some performance critique's of it?

I'll be in the market to get one soon.

BlueTrain

First of all, a .380 ACP is still a .380 no matter what gun it is fired from. But once you go beyond the caliber comparisons, here are some comments.

The CZ-83 (and CZ-82), the Beretta and the Glock Model 19 all work very differently, especially the Glock. Personally I think I would recommend the Glock you already have anyway, provided you don't mind the trigger and the lack of a positive safety. It is lighter than the other two and no thicker than the Beretta (if the model 84 is a double-stack model). The CZ is just as thick in the grip department but has a slide like a Walther PP. However, although a double action, it does not have a decocker mechanism, so even more care is required in the handling. On some individual guns the magazine release is difficult to release but the stiffness probably goes away with use. It can be carried cocked and locked but the thumb safety is not so positive as it is on Colts and a few other guns but you can't have everything.

Between the three guns (there are lots of others), I think the differences I mentioned outweigh the difference in calibers.

Marko Kloos

The CZ-82/83 is a fine gun, one of the very best .380 pistols out there, but it still has a long and wide grip for its size, and it's not really much easier to conceal than a G19. The slide is much slimmer, which may be a factor for IWB comfort, but the grip is just as tall, and that's the hard part to hide.

PSP

My question is this; why would you think changing from a Glock 19 to a CZ 83 would be much easier? The CZ is pretty heavy, being an all steel gun, and not real small. Just wondering.

The CZ 83 is a pretty reliable gun, is accurate, has good magazine capacity and is very pleasing ergonomically. It isn't the most concealable .380 out there however, being quite wide, with a long, full grip. Shooting it well at defensive distances is easy, with quick follow-on shots possible due to the ful grip and weight of the gun. The sights are a little small, but who uses sights at 10 feet?

Of course there are other guns to look at...you know that...if a CZ is what you're after then just get a good, supportive holster that will be comfortable and hold the gun tight to your body. Many Beretta 84 holsters fit the CZ 83.

hj28rules

Concealability of a CZ83 is subjective and often debated on this and other forums. Aside from concealability, it is never the less, a fine firearm. It is well made, robust, ergonomically pleasant to hold, extremely accurate out to 25m and has a magazine capacity of 12+1 rounds. There is a wide variety of ammunition available in different price ranges. I use Federal Hydra-Shocks, Car Bon HP's and just about any FMJ's. The only FFT/FTE or misfires occured with Monarch ammo. The CZ83 is simple to dissamble and clean. Mine came with 2 12round magazines, lock and key and cleaning brush and rod. All for $375. It is a great little pistol and fun to shoot.

LM...Ft. Worth, Tx.
SFC US Army (ret.)

Danase

The CZ83 is just .4 pounds heavier than the Glock 19. It is shorter and has the same height as the 19. It is a little thicker. However, I was looking at Glocks, Springfields, and CZ's and I really like the feel of the CZ the best and is what I ended up going with. I love shooting my CZ83 and am super glad I purchased it. I run reloads from qualityammo.com without any troubles at all and keep some Corbon DPX .380 for defense. In my opinion the CZ is a great gun.

But I doubt you could really go wrong with the Glock either.

Love&Hate12

I already own several Glocks, the thickness in Florida heat is what the problem is for me considering that I have to wear light clothing.

Hmm, I was under the impression that the CZ83 was smaller than said here.

I'm finished with the snub nosed revolver deal, the loads that are comfortable in the lightweight titanium I own for follow up shots aren't much better than a .380 and are well below a 9mm, and you only have 5 over 10 or more.

I guess I could go down to the g26, but I am just wanting something a little different I guess.:rolleyes:

Danase

To be honest, I swear the CZ is thinner than the Glock. From what it seems when I hold them in my hand anyway. But their sites have them listed differently. The CZ might just be considered thicker because the safety sticks out or something?

I considered the Glock 26, 27 and the Springfield Sub Compact XD. They felt fine to me but a lot of people don't like only having two finger grips. There is the optional magazine/grip extensions.

Love&Hate12

Yes, I don't like the two finger grips either. I carry my G19 in most reasonable weather, but Florida summers are just too brutal to wear any of the clothes that I have that would conceal it, and I am not talking about heavy clothing by any means.

We get nasty 98 degree summers.:barf:

PSP

Sounds like you may be a Kahr candidate. Florida heat, three finger grip, concealable, under $400...the Kahr CC may be an option.