I almost feel guilty, well almost

Tim Whittaker

I took a ride to one of the local gunshops today after work and overheard a salesman say "we have too many wheelguns in stock, I'll pass" I asked the guy what he had, and out comes a sweet S&W .357 Magnum. Yup, the original Model 27. Figured he wanted a mint. Gave it to me for $300. As far as I can tell, and to the best of his knowledge, it only has about 200 rounds through it. Finish is an honest 98%. It was his fathers and turns out he's not into handguns, so he figured he'd dump it for a few bucks. I think I did OK with this one. Take Care......Whit

mobias

That 300 dollars was probably a lot more than what the gunshop would have given him. Don't feel guilty, enjoy your new purchase. I am jealous.

Tim Whittaker

Now I truly understand what everyone is talking about when they talk about "the good old actions." I wouldn't give up any of my 6 shooters, but I wish all of them had come like this, SMOOOOOTH. Both my 686's have almost the same feel but, that's after having them smoothed and shot a few thousand times. I can hear the gun range commando's now "Looks like the old boy's got himself another revolver, when will he learn?" Hopefully never......Whit

What's the serial number?

The first 3 to 5 digits.

I'll look up the year of production for you.

If its a pre-war .357 Mag., you got on HELL of a deal.

If it's a pre-1957 .357 Mag., you still got a fantastic deal.

P

PreserveFreedom

Sounds like a good deal to me. Plus, like mobias said, the shop never would have given him that for it. There is no reason to feel guilty. You did both of you a favor. Thank your lucky stars though. Most people that aren't gun folks and inherit one, are afraid of a private sale. They watch too much TV and just want to sell to a dealer, even if it loses them money. Sounds like this guy was either cool or the dealer's turn down made him desperate.

Tim Whittaker

Mike,
I called my gunsmith and gave him the serial # and it is infact a Pre-1957. One could only hope for a Pre-War. I'll give a range report later tonight......Whit

Tim Whittaker

Pre-27 Range report

What a sweetheart, I put 100 rounds of 158 gr. LSWC through her and what a nice shooter, I wish I would have scoffed up more of these in the past but, oh well. I'll keep a sharp eye out for more of these. Take Care......Whit