I agree with Farakahn. I guess I can die now.

Jack 99

I never thought Farakahn and I would be on the same side of an argument, but "never say never".

Its hard to argue with his logic that if you're going to hold the Confederate flag up as a symbol of black oppression, the stars and stripes could also be put in the same classification using that line of reasoning.

++++++++++++++

Farrakahan: Flag Part of History

By CHRIS KAHN, Associated Press Writer

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan said
Tuesday the Confederate flag was an integral part of American history and
removing it from public places doesn't cure the country of racial problems.

``The people of the South are bigger than the Confederate flag,'' Farrakhan said. ``But the Confederate flag is a
part of the history of the South.''

The Confederate flag represents the ``America of yesterday,'' Farrakhan said.

``If we are upset as black people they're flying the Confederate flag, you should be upset about flying the
American flag,'' Farrakhan said. ``Because all the hell (that slaves) caught, we got on the next flag.''

Earlier this month, South Carolina removed the Confederate Flag from atop its Statehouse. The flag, seen as a
reminder of slavery for some and a tribute to Southern heritage for others, flew atop the Statehouse dome for
38 years.

Farrakhan's comments came at a news conference at which he promoted his Oct. 16 Million Family March in
Washington, which will call for people of all races and religions to ``rise above their symbols'' and gather in
support of the American family.

Farrakhan asked voters to withhold their choice for president until the march, when he hinted that he may
endorse a candidate.

DorGunR

Jack 99,
I agree with most of Louis Farrakhan's statement on the flag issue however I sure don't need his advice on who to vote for. :(

------------------
"Lead, follow or get the HELL out of the way."

Oatka

Then he should mention all the European and Middle Eastern countries that facilitated the trade.

Has he ever commented on how much better off these militant blacks would be if they could have stayed home? Like Ruwanda, Zimbabwe, the Sudan today, ad nauseum?

He ought to be thanking all us white Americans, for who would he have to blame if we didn't exist?

B Shipley

He should also mention that Africans sold other Africans into slavery; white, European types merely bought them.

You should watch Henry Louis Gates, Jr.'s (African Studies Prof. at Harvard) "History of the African Continent" on PBS. It explores this in detail. He caught hell for the show from other blacks since they can't blame oppression and slvery entirely on Caucasians now.

Gunslinger

I never thought I would agree with him on anything either. I guess I will now have to begin watching the sky for flying pigs. At least I can do at the bright side, there really must be cold days in Hell.

------------------
Gunslinger

old_yout

The home of the recently brought down confederate flage is where I was born and raised and to be honest, until this whole brouhaha I never noticed the thing. All that aside, and while I do agree with Farrakahn, do you know where the flag is now? The first time I drove by it in its new location I laughed for three intersections afterwards. The State House, atop which the flag used to rest, is set back several hundred feet from the road. In between the road and the state house, but much closer to the road, there is a statue and next to this statue is where the flag is now. I couldn't believe it. The flag is now right in front of everybody, with little lights to illuminate it at night and it is impossible to ignore. Before, to see the flag, you'd have to crane your head all the way to the top of the dome. Now it may be down, but it's as though it were placed there as a "Hey, screw you! How do you like that?" gesture.
Tough to say who won that debate.

Bob Locke

You guys would probably be scared if you found out how many things you agree with Farrakhan on.

The short list: abortion (he's against it), welfare (he's against it), and gun control (he's against it).

He's a nut job, but he's got some strongly-held religious beliefs that he doesn't alter for political purposes. In a weird sort of way, I admire him for it.

Futo Inu

Yeah, that guy can make a lot of sense one minute. Then the next minute he's talking about how the mother ship will be landing soon.

MrKandiyohi

I think a lot of people, me included, always put Al Sharpton and Farakahn together idealogically. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Farakahn is conservative. It's just that he's a BLACK, MUSLIM conservative. His religion is one of the main reasons he's not grouped with Pat Robertson, et. al.

Bob Locke was right in Lewis' beliefs. If you put his and Robertson's next to each other, I don't think you'd find many differences.

Other things which keep him from the "mainstream" is that he is militant in his views, i.e., I don't think you could call him a pacifist. Also, if I'm correct, he is a proponent of racial purity of Blacks/Muslims.

I'm neither advocating or denouncing his views. Also, if I am incorrect in any way, I apologize and use the excuse that rural Minnesota isn't all that up to date on Lewis Farakahn.

What threw me off was when he said that all white people are the snakes of Satan and need to be killed. He was basically calling for blacks to start a race war.
I saw him say it myself, in more words, but he was quite serious.
It seems that those white males are to blame for everything. I guess we should wipe them out. Sounds like Hitler.
Hitler had some good ideas too, by the way.

johnbt

CC - That's why my friends wanted to commit me when I tried to get them to go see him speak this week in Richmond, Va. John

ICBentley

Farakahn is an artist. You literally have to listen for hours and track him closely to realize what he is about. He starts with clear statements with which many can agree on the surface. Then he gets bizarre and incomprehensible and throws in code words and half statements of misdirection. He will alternate these for quite a while.

When he has driven away or bored and confused into trance most of the outsiders; he begins, gently and with circumspection and more misdirection to bit by bit build the radical, messianic race war message that is his core.

His performances are a tapestry of these sorts of camouflage, multi-layer message, down home preaching and sophisticated trance induction all with a leavening of misdirection and encoded belief system symbolism.

It is a wonder to watch. Take notes to analyze later. Remember that "no" often means "yes, but I want plausible deniability." Look for the unspoken, even outwardly denied, messages embedded in his presentation.

You will learn a great deal, even if you are familiar with other practitioners of this art or even are one yourself. But, if you are like me, you will also want to throw up once a day for a week. The man is brilliant at his art. He is also a hateful, egotistical, manipulator who would render his own children down to manufacture greasepaint to make himself up for another self-inflating performance.

Just my pair of coppers.

Bentley

Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"
-JABBERWOCKY, Lewis Carroll

[This message has been edited by ICBentley (edited July 21, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ICBentley (edited July 21, 2000).]

Tecolote

I don't know about Farakahn's thoughts, but I do know that members of the Nation of ISlam tend to be good people. Had a couple as students in the past. They were always well groomed, extremely polite, all their homework was well done, and the parents were deeply involved in the schooling of their kids. Wish I could say the same for the other kids.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Dangus

Personally I think "The Nation Of Islam" is totally nuts, but I have worked with them in the past and for a couple of things even donated some money to them. They, as individuals, tend to offer many good things to the black community that other groups seem to fail to do, and by helping them out I make it harder for them to justify their racist core principals. They have one very good effect though, they clean up neighborhoods. If there is crime in a neighborhood, and the "Nation of Islam" shows up, look out criminals. They will outright bully the criminals, and that's quite a thing to see. I just wished they'd get off this "whites are evil and they owe us our own nation" crap that undertones their propaganda. Yes, they can be right on many things, but they've got a lot of growing up to do as a group.

------------------
I twist the facts until they tell the truth

Eric of IN

Wow, first I read something from Farakahn that I agree with, then Jesse Jackson says that he wants to do away with Zero Tolerance policies in shools, and that's something I've always thought. I think I need a range trip, my world is starting to wobble.
Eric

------------------
Teach a kid to shoot.
It annoys the antis.